U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 PM

1,197 posts, read 410,686 times

Advertisements

I was on an interstate for a third of a trip. It was my first time going past the border cities in Canada. My day started with taking my truck to a garage for brake work, biking home, and biking back to get the truck. I finally started the drive to Port Huron sometime after noon. I probably cleared customs around 6 pm. From there I briefly was on Ontario's equivalent of an interstate before taking the local roads to the Stratford Festival. A road was closed with a detour sign. Without a local map, I didn't know where to turn. There wasn't much to see at night in farm country. The roads there are a basic grid, so just picking one and following the compass worked well enough. I arrived at the motel a few minutes before the office closed. The motel owner could have emailed a warning about the closed road, but didn't. Later I drove to Toronto. Another unplanned detour voided the end of my route, so I was an hour late to the apartment as I made random turns and wrong assumptions about my general location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,464,602 times
all a matter of timing …

our family moved to San Diego in the early 1950's, with only one Aunt/Uncle in the Los Angeles area … visiting them was CA state highways, with top speeds pretty much 50 mph between the towns of the route. The rest of the family was scattered along the East Coast from NY down through FL.

We'd take family trips "back East" on the highways of the era, pre-interstate, mostly at year-end vacations or spring break. Dad had a series of late 1940's-1950 Packard's which gave me a lot of room in the back seat. We rarely stopped except for fuel and some small-town park roadside "naps" for my parents to rest awhile before racking up more miles.

Even in the late 1960's when I moved to Colorado, most of the trips back to SoCal were on state highways because the interstate system had not yet been completed. I made 6 trips from Boulder to St Pete FL for midwinters regatta's, towing several sailboats. Even in the 1980's, much of the midwinter's regatta trip through Colorado to Texas was still on state highways rather than interstate highways.

Much of my travels in Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Kansas, Utah, and Colorado, today are still on state highway roads rather than interstate highways. Not uncommon to do 400-700 mile trips through this region where the Interstates aren't located.

As a manufacturer's rep calling upon automotive related businesses, the interstate highways aren't near a lot of accounts/prospects I need to call on. Much of my driving today is through pretty rural areas. Some of it is fascinating, some of it is just endless miles of little interest except to reach the next destination stop. When I'm in my Class B RV, "home" is anywhere I can stop for rest or overnight. Sometimes, I'll be at a local or state park, maybe with a lake where I can do some fishing at the day's end. Sometimes it's just a small "city park", with little more than a place to park and a public restroom … or maybe a truly upscale city park campground such as found in Spearfish SD. With a route through the Black Hills from the SW corner of SD up through Rapid City, it's far more interesting than the I-90 interstate route to reach Spearfish/Sturgis area.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-03-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 11,136,078 times
WE TRIED to go LA to Chicago on Route 66 but due to poor planning we got behind and ended up taking I40 for long stretches. Next time we'll allow 3 weeks.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 1,665,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
US Hwy 80 did and still does run across the southern US states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_80

You must being thinking of Interstate 80, which does head east from San Francisco
Thanks for the explanation, you learn something new every day.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:29 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,077,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Reminds me of our Xcountry trip, two days of this and i'll take the interstate for a while until we get to the mountains..

On the other hand, we were driving across one of the midwest states, maybe Kansas, and came across a small town with an historical museum. We went in and were greeted by two elderly ladies working there. DH asked, "how many people live in this town?" -- the answer was "112". When DH acted surprised, the lady continued, "Would you like me to name them?"

We had dozens of encounters like that. Good times. You meet real people. Now if it was JUST driving and not stopping anywhere, it would be a different story. People go on about "Route 66" and mourn its passing, but there are plenty of great blue highways left although they are disappearing fast. Go out and find your own Rte 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or