U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 04:27 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times

Advertisements

Have you ever gone on a multi-day car trip using only undivided highways, avoiding the interstates snd freeways as much as possible? Why, and how was your trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 AM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
No reason. Did you?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 AM

905 posts, read 465,223 times
Yes a couple of times. Chicago to Tennessee and Chicago to New York. It was interesting to take the back roads to see and experience something different and to get a sense of what travel was like before the interstates (think stagecoach) , but I wont be doing it again. It was slow, had to be even more alert to potential hazards like animals, farm equipment etc, heightened attention driving in the hills, the scenery can be hit or miss, and frankly, doing it was exhausting. It can be great for some but I felt I needed a vacation from the vacation!

I guess I'm a product of the times and want to get to point A to point B quickly but certainly will take a side trip to see something of interest, but get me back on the interstate asap.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 AM

5,247 posts, read 3,016,686 times
I left San Diego on US 80 heading east. There were no interstates in 1959. I had a shipmate with me and we alternated driving. We drove straight through to New Orleans. There we got a hotel room and slept for about 16 hours. We headed north stopping at his grandparents house in Kentucky. They had a hand pump in the kitchen for water and a cast iron stove in the living room for heat. I dropped my shipmate (we had both been discharged) in Muncie IN at his home. From there I headed east, eventually getting on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. My engine came apart around Lancaster PA. I had the car towed and went home to Long Island on the Pennsylvania Railroad and NY subways.

I liked that 48 Plymouth convertible. It was roomier than the 2012 Chrysler that I have now.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 AM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Have you ever gone on a multi-day car trip using only undivided highways, avoiding the interstates snd freeways as much as possible? Why, and how was your trip?
Yes, I live in Utah and my family and I went to see the "four corners region".

I exited I-15 at Spanish Fork, Utah. I than drove to Price, Utah. From Price, I drove to Green River. I drove about 20 miles on I-70 to Crescent Junction, Utah than exited the freeway and drove to Moab and saw both Canyonlands and Arches National Park. From Moab, I drove south through Monticello, Blanding, and Bluff, Utah. I believe in Mexican Hat, Utah I headed east into Colorado. Eventually we saw Mesa Verde National Park. On my way back, I saw Hovenweap National Monument in Utah. We also stopped at four corners (border of UT, NM, AZ, and CO) to do some shopping from some Indian vendors. I made my way back through Arizona stopping at the Navaho Tribal Park in Monument Valley. We than looped back through Price and made it back to I-15 and headed home. I'm leaving out our motel stays (it was a four day trip), but after leaving Price virtually the whole trip was on two lane highways. I doubt I stopped at more than four traffic lights during the whole time. It is an unpopulated area of America.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:41 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,319,740 times
When I lived in Tucson for 7 years, I did plenty of road trips throughout Arizona, southern Nevada, southern Utah, New Mexico, Western Texas using mostly non-interstates/freeways.

Why, because the places I wanted to explore and see didn't have those as an option!

How were the trips, great!

It's a lot easier to avoid interstates/freeways in the Intermountain West, since the states are huge and have a limited supply of those types of roads.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 PM

5,235 posts, read 8,402,791 times
If you are into reading about non-interstate road trips, check out "Blue Highways"

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways...s%2C154&sr=8-1

The writer also made a trip by BOAT from New York City to Astoria, Oregon with only 2 portages.

https://www.amazon.com/River-Horse-A...%2C154&sr=8-12

Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,319,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The writer also made a trip by BOAT from New York City to Astoria, Oregon with only 2 portages.
I had a co-worker when I worked down in Antarctica and his ice contracts would go from late September to mid-June and during his 3 to 3 and a half months "off ice" he would do some epic journeys like thru-hiking the Appalachian trail in two parts.

Well he had this inflatable kayak and wanted to try and paddle across the entire United States. It took him 3 consecutive summers. The 1st year he started at Upper Red Rock Lake near Brower's Spring, Montana and went down the Red Rock River which flows into the Jefferson then the Missouri and he did the entire length of the Missouri River from Three Forks, Montana all the way to St. Louis. He would camp every night, wherever he could find a place.

The 2nd year he went from St. Louis up the Illinois River to Chicago, did the Great Lakes and over to the Erie Canal and then down the Hudson to New York City. His 3rd and final year he started at Henrys Lake in Idaho, which is only like 10 miles from Upper Red Rock Lake on the other side of the continental divide, which feeds Henrys Fork and flows into the Snake River, then into the Columbia, and he ended up in Astoria, Oregon. That last segment he had to carry his kayak around many dams he said.

So he basically paddled from Astoria, Oregon to New York City, except for a 10 mile gap over the Continental Divide!

Last edited by cjseliga; 05-01-2019 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 PM

13,665 posts, read 8,577,038 times
I drove from Norfolk to San Francisco without using freeways.
It was 1965. Although there were a few freeways around, I don't recall seeing any of them. I was crossing the desert one night and came up on a road block. The highway patrolman explained to me that there were no gas stations open for 400 miles, so I would be well advised to spend the night where I was.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
I think the last might have been about 5 years ago, from the Texas gulf coast to western Kansas and back, five days.

Of course, in the 50s and 60s, many trips when there were no interstates. Had to drive right down Lakeshore in the traffic to get through Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or