U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,514,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you don’t camp, lodging near top tier national parks hotels like Zion, Moab/Arches, Grand Canyon, etc. can be shockingly expensive. Think $200+ a night for the Moab Super 8 during peak times. And getting a camping spot at a place with flush toilets and water can be extremely competitive.
We love to camp. MIL just bought a pop-up and we have great tents/camping gear. We could even provide camping gear for the other family. We may have to figure out comfort levels but our family is perfectly fine setting up a remote camp in the middle of the forest (legal on National Forest land). We don't need highly developed sites. So we should be able to find something between dispersed camping and an overly developed Jellystone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

That's going to be a week at a giant house at the beach , within driving distance.

I think that you have to let go of your vacation goals. If you're in the midwest, maybe renting a gigantic beach house for all of you for a week along the Gulf Coast, with daily trips to the beach (and all kids LOVE the beach, and the grownups like to sit around under umbrellas and talk), barbecues at the house, some meals out, maybe a day or half day fishing trip for those who desire it, etc. Maybe even a day drive to the nearest city, to sight see, or historic plantations type day trip.

Hurry. Your oldest kids will very soon not be interested in this trip - they will resent being taken away from their friends. And life happens, especially to older people. Go as soon as school is out, if possible.
For the record, we're all in the Midwest but we don't all live in the same state. "Driving distance" will vary based on the ultimate location. And also on driving comfort levels.

We just got back from the Gulf coast and my kids had zero interest in the beach. I'm talking we were there for an hour, they never got in the water and were begging to leave. This was Navarre Beach, FL. Weird, I know. I wonder if there's anything for kids to do at that NASA center just over the MS line? Huntsville is a bit of a drive from the coast. I remember going to that one as a kid.

I know you're right about the kids becoming "too cool" to hang out with their family but I hope they never lose their love of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
There's some great bargains at the NC Outer Banks after Labor Day. Prices start falling pretty fast by the time August rolls around, really. There's giant homes up around Duck/Corolla with pools, hottubs, pool tables, etc. In addition to the beach, theres stuff like lighthouses, giant sand dunes (Jockey's Ridge State Park), wildlife areas (lots of birding at Pea Island), Fort Raleigh/Manteo, the Wright Brothers Memorial, etc. I'm actually partial to Ocracoke, a small island with a smaller village. Rent a golf cart. Bring or rent bikes. If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can drive out onto the beach and park. Lots of good restaurants and shops. Kayaking, standup paddleboarding, deep sea fishing, nature trails, etc.

Along the same lines, there's good beaches near Charleston and Savannah where you can get the beach experience and have the sites in those towns to visit. Jekyll Island, Georgia, is a cool place with it's millionaires village history, driftwood beach, bike trails, golf courses and such.

Maine has a ton of great places. A rental near Bar Harbor is something I plan to do again soon. The carriage trails are so fun on bikes. The views along the rocky coast in Acadia are outstanding. Great hiking. Lobster.

Yes! I don't know why I didn't think of the OBX! My husband was just in New Bern last week and I was jealous that the kids and I couldn't go with. A friend of mine tells me great stories of her family vacations to Cape Hatteras. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maine is at the top of my list at the moment. Especially because we could spend time in VT and NH on the way out and Canada on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, it IS a wonderful experience to drive to and visit these areas. HOWEVER, I would guess that MIL is thinking that the entire family will be spending time together. Which means not is separate cars.

I'm not a parent, but I wonder how interested the two younger kids would be. And traveling in the car with kids - not exactly a vacation for the parents, is it.
I don't know about our nephews as they've never taken a road trip. Our kids have dozens of times. They're great in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hahahaha! I think that might be TOO much family togetherness!
Fact.

We have a boat and we'd be more than happy to bring it along to any lake vacation. Complete with tubes/skis/lifejackets/fishing gear.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a great (not Great) lake in New England for a family vacation? Somewhere with a nice downtown for land activities. Winnipesaukee? Champlain? Smaller lakes I don't know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,210,052 times
I realize you said not in the midwest, but what about driving to East Tennessee-Sevierville area.It's kind of South-won't take too long to drive to and can be a great extended family location with so many things to do. Rent one of the big cabins that sleep 10+, go to Dollywood......lots to do for adults and kids too. My kids loved Dollywood more than the Magic Kingdom and we are from Florida. Less expensive too. Rides are fun and the concerts around the park can be enjoyed by less adventurous. Wonderful places to eat in the park, too. Go farther South to Gatlinburg for things to do too. The new longest swing bridge in the USA opens soon and would be fun to walk across-even has glass panels in the floor of it to look down. Go up into the mountains to the park.
The trees in the fall should be beautiful and as an old midwesterner myself much prettier than trees in Illinois,Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. .

We are doing that in early late May-June and can't wait to share the time and fun with family.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I realize you said not in the midwest, but what about driving to East Tennessee-Sevierville area.It's kind of South-won't take too long to drive to and can be a great extended family location with so many things to do. Rent one of the big cabins that sleep 10+, go to Dollywood......lots to do for adults and kids too. My kids loved Dollywood more than the Magic Kingdom and we are from Florida. Less expensive too. Rides are fun and the concerts around the park can be enjoyed by less adventurous. Wonderful places to eat in the park, too. Go farther South to Gatlinburg for things to do too. The new longest swing bridge in the USA opens soon and would be fun to walk across-even has glass panels in the floor of it to look down. Go up into the mountains to the park.
The trees in the fall should be beautiful and as an old midwesterner myself much prettier than trees in Illinois,Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. .

We are doing that in early late May-June and can't wait to share the time and fun with family.
Shudder. Thanks for bringing back memories of when my MIL drug me there against my will.

We've taken one extended family vacation with this same group (plus others) in Northern MI and both our family and MIL/Spouse have done Eastern TN as well as my BIL seperately. Plus their stepsister lives in Johnson City. As far as I know she wasn't planning to vacation with us but if she does I know for a fact she wants nothing to do with that area.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is the type of place that makes my husband and I cringe. I despise it. I do like the National Park though. Hubby is in Asheville pretty frequently for work so we go there regularly.

Either way, TN is not in the Midwest .

Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
We love to camp. MIL just bought a pop-up and we have great tents/camping gear. We could even provide camping gear for the other family. We may have to figure out comfort levels but our family is perfectly fine setting up a remote camp in the middle of the forest (legal on National Forest land). We don't need highly developed sites. So we should be able to find something between dispersed camping and an overly developed Jellystone. (snip)

Maine is at the top of my list at the moment. Especially because we could spend time in VT and NH on the way out and Canada on the way back.
Acadia National Park has nice campgrounds, but you'll need to make reservations in advance as they fill up very quickly.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Is there a quaint walkable town in the OBX? I'm having trouble finding a town that we could walk to shops, restaurants, beaches, etc without being mowed down by traffic on the hwy.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM

2,300 posts, read 2,684,462 times
Quote:
Is there a quaint walkable town in the OBX? I'm having trouble finding a town that we could walk to shops, restaurants, beaches, etc without being mowed down by traffic on the hwy.
Why would you want to go to the OBX? It's mostly beach type activities and you said your kids hate the beach.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM

782 posts, read 512,359 times
Quote:
Duck would be the quaintest, but still have to watch out for traffic. Even if you rent a house in the 4-wheel-drive-beach road you have to watch out for traffic.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM

598 posts, read 992,729 times
Camping is really the only thing you can do that will fit all budgets, especially when one of the budgets is practically nothing. Those who need the comforts can just rent an RV.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,225,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Why would you want to go to the OBX? It's mostly beach type activities and you said your kids hate the beach.

I agree with this. There isn't much to do in the OBX outside of the beach. Duck is a very quaint town but it's pretty small. It will be quiet in September/October.

They do have an indoor water park now but I'm not sure that your family would enjoy that.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:50 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,421,010 times
with such varied interests and the youngsters to entertain, it strikes me that your trip requirements might be satisfied with a stay at an all-inclusive "dude ranch".

Something like the ABarA in Saratoga, WY … one of but many such facilities with a wide variety of activities, from golf to fishing to hiking to horseback riding (at many different levels of proficiency or learning to ride, or trail riding), and so forth. "something for everybody" to do everyday, or just "hang out" to enjoy the views/vistas and watch the wildlife and/or domestic livestock for awhile. Swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, etc. Or places on the rural acreage to "explore", creek beds, meadows, etc.

A key feature of family gatherings at such places is that the family can be together or apart as needed to pursue their various interests on any given day, while the main meals of the day (breakfast and dinner) can be a family get-together. Ranging from campfire gatherings to outstanding meals in the dining room, these have the potential to be memorable moments of a family together.

ABarA only cited as an example of this type of destination resort (I'm familiar with their operation, it's somewhat close to home here in WY), they may be a bit more expensive than your budget. But the "dude ranch" concept stay is available in many areas of the USA and for reasonable money at many facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or