U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 PM

4,252 posts, read 2,522,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I agree with this. There isn't much to do in the OBX outside of the beach. Duck is a very quaint town but it's pretty small. It will be quiet in September/October.

They do have an indoor water park now but I'm not sure that your family would enjoy that.
I was hoping there would be a little more to do than just lay around on the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
with such varied interests and the youngsters to entertain, it strikes me that your trip requirements might be satisfied with a stay at an all-inclusive "dude ranch".

Something like the ABarA in Saratoga, WY … one of but many such facilities with a wide variety of activities, from golf to fishing to hiking to horseback riding (at many different levels of proficiency or learning to ride, or trail riding), and so forth. "something for everybody" to do everyday, or just "hang out" to enjoy the views/vistas and watch the wildlife and/or domestic livestock for awhile. Swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, etc. Or places on the rural acreage to "explore", creek beds, meadows, etc.

A key feature of family gatherings at such places is that the family can be together or apart as needed to pursue their various interests on any given day, while the main meals of the day (breakfast and dinner) can be a family get-together. Ranging from campfire gatherings to outstanding meals in the dining room, these have the potential to be memorable moments of a family together.

ABarA only cited as an example of this type of destination resort (I'm familiar with their operation, it's somewhat close to home here in WY), they may be a bit more expensive than your budget. But the "dude ranch" concept stay is available in many areas of the USA and for reasonable money at many facilities.
We briefly considered this. MIL has owned horses her entire life. Mine have ridden a few times. I don’t think my nephews ever have despite helping grandma feed her horses frequently. It made me think maybe we could find something more along the lines of a farm stay instead of something revolving around horses.

They’re both good options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 04:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 307,067 times
My friends rave about Rocking Horse Ranch:

All-Inclusive Four Season Family Resort in the Hudson Valley. We’re more than just horses… We’re the most fun your family ever had! Nestled on a 500-acre spread in the heart of the scenic Hudson River Valley, Rocking Horse offers 4 seasons of activities for families of all ages. From our Winter Fun Park to Big Splash indoor waterpark, The Ranch provides the perfect backdrop for your family’s next big adventure. Enjoy three delicious meals daily, summer BBQ’s, afternoon chef’s tastings, pool parties, wine pairings and more. End the evening with our top-name family entertainment, featuring magicians, bonfire singalongs, comedians and jugglers. It’ll be the best family vacation you’ve ever had! Activities are for overnight guests only.

https://www.iloveny.com/listing/rock...se-ranch/6951/

Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,171,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Is there a quaint walkable town in the OBX? I'm having trouble finding a town that we could walk to shops, restaurants, beaches, etc without being mowed down by traffic on the hwy.
Duck is walkable and safe to walk around. Been going there for years.

There is tons to do in the OBX, and what's available can be dependent upon the time of year. The wild horse tour is awesome, there are lots of lighthouses to visit, the Wright Memorial, there's putt putt, bike paths, fishing tours, dolphin tours, so much wonderful seafood, and so much more. Lots of the houses offer heated pools at least through November and most have hot tubs.

I mean, I love the OBX and that's pretty obvious, but it's crazy that there are posters saying there's nothing to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or