Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM

609 posts, read 529,548 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway to get around these without an emergency situation? Do they ever work with you?

Booked flights departing on American and returning on United and now need to change the dates. There are two of us so I think I'm looking at $800 total in change fees. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but hoping for a miracle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
Unfortunately not a good situation. Really expensive to change fares, unless you pay a fortune for a cancellable flight or unless you realize the need to change fares in the first 24 hours after booking. I am sorry that this happened.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:29 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
It doesn't hurt to call a couple of times and ask... especially if you have status.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Is there any way to use the original dates? If you have a compelling reason to change, they might waive the fee. It won't hurt to ask them to waive it because of *** Good luck.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:34 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Based on past experience, highly unlikely.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:45 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Is there anyway to get around these without an emergency situation? Do they ever work with you?

Booked flights departing on American and returning on United and now need to change the dates. There are two of us so I think I'm looking at $800 total in change fees. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but hoping for a miracle.
Not sure how far out you are from your trip but keep checking to see if there a schedule change for your flights. If there is one just call them and let them know that the change doesn't work for you, even if it is a minor change. Once there has been a change you are allowed to either change your ticket without a fee or you can request a refund even if it isn't a refundable ticket.

It's usually easier to change or cancel when there has been a pretty significant change but if you only have a minor change just be really friendly and nice with the agent on the phone. If you are close to your travel date then your best bet is to just call the airline and hope that you get a sympathetic agent. Be prepared with the dates and times to want to change to so that you make things easy for them. If the first agent doesn't work you many need to call back a few times until you get one that will help.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:38 PM

609 posts, read 529,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Is there any way to use the original dates? If you have a compelling reason to change, they might waive the fee. It won't hurt to ask them to waive it because of *** Good luck.
Unfortunately no. Going to visit folks who now won't be there that weekend.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Even with an emergency situation it doesn’t help. My father was in his deathbed and they still wanted $600+ to change the ticket. It was cheaper for me to buy a first class ticket!

Then I was flying to his funeral, had a death certificate. The cost of the flight was $70. I still had the ticket from a different flight and asked if I could use that, would they wave the change fee. Even then, it was more expensive then just buying the $70 ticket.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Good luck but most likely you won't get it. As shelly said hopefully there is a lot of time and the situation might change. If the schedule changes significantly you ought to be able to get a free change or cancellation. I have never done this but I've heard about it often. I once had a 55 minute schedule change with United and called the airline to argue that it was now too early for me (I actually had been hoping to change dates like you) but they wouldn't help me out.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Even with an emergency situation it doesn’t help. My father was in his deathbed and they still wanted $600+ to change the ticket. It was cheaper for me to buy a first class ticket!

Then I was flying to his funeral, had a death certificate. The cost of the flight was $70. I still had the ticket from a different flight and asked if I could use that, would they wave the change fee. Even then, it was more expensive then just buying the $70 ticket.
A few years ago, I had booked 5 tickets to Hawaii with Delta when a close relative received some bad medical news. It wasn't an immediate emergency, but bad enough that we wanted to spend our planned vacation time with them instead of going to Hawaii. The agent I spoke with showed empathy, issued a full refund (as Delta credit) and waived all change/cancellation fees for the entire party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel