Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:24 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

To the North of London you have Hampstead and Grreenwich in the East of London.

Some Deer art Bushy Park in London and a short video about the eight London Royal Parks.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-06-2019 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:12 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Exactly. I have been to Paris and New York and while both are interesting, I'm not a fan of big cities and within a few days need to escape. I would much rather be hiking in Norway or Maine.
I enjoy a lot of the world's natural attractions myself.

However, this particular thread is about 3 cities that are hubs of high culture in the modern world. So, that is my focus here.

I suppose I could have added Tokyo too. But frankly, I am not that familiar with it. I expect that Tokyo is of the same ilk as these 3 cities except that it is non-western.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-06-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I enjoy a lot of the world's natural attractions myself.

However, this particular thread is about 3 cities that are hubs of high culture in the modern world. So, that is my focus here.

I suppose I could have added Tokyo too. But frankly, I am not that familiar with it. I expect that Tokyo is of the same ilk as these 3 cities except that it is non-western.
Personal opinion. I could add my own personal opinion of "must see cities", but again that would just be my personal opinion.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Personal opinion. I could add my own personal opinion of "must see cities", but again that would just be my personal opinion.
So, what cities have international recognition as being greater hubs of high culture than Paris, New York and London?

Is there data to support that opinion?

This is like saying all universities are rated the same as Harvard or Oxford. It is all just a matter of opinion.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-06-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
But, OP, why do you rate Paris above Rome?
I have been to Rome and I agree that it is also a great cultural center. Italy in general is a great country to visit.

Paris, however, has more museums and iconic attractions. It is bigger and more vibrant. It takes many more days to see Paris than Rome.

Rome is a fine city. So is the Vatican. Still, there really isn't anything in Rome that can quite compare with the Louvre or Versailles. The Louvre is astonishing.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
Paris, New York and London are must-visit cities for every single human being in the whole world
I have been to London and it was a great trip. I enjoyed it even more when I got out of London and visited small towns like Bath.

The first time I visited New York City I had an airline ticket that could not be changed. I hated that subhuman sewer city so much that I left 4 days early. I found a great deal on a one car rental and drove 1,200 miles to get home.

I have less than zero interest in Paris. I wouldn't go there if I won a free trip.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
My point is not that there is nothing of value in those destinations. I simply object to the assertion that a lifetime of travel has been in vain if those cities have somehow been missed.

I've spent a couple of days in New York, sleeping in my car and saying "Ho hum, so this is NY". I stayed overnight in Paris twice, once in an industrial suburb. I enjoyed a week in London when it could be enjoyed affordably and leisurely while surveying on palate-numbing English food.

I could have quit, and rested on what the OP would call my laurels, but instead I went on to other countries, and saw a few things from Akrotiri to Zimbabwe, which was Rhodesia then. There is much more to see than three massive western urbanities. .

Last edited by cebuan; 05-06-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 PM

By the way, I recommend that people do the hop on hop off bus tour when they visit these cities.

It is an excellent way to get an overview of what the cities offer.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
You can have a great time walking around Queens, Brooklyn and see how people live in the amazing neighborhoods there. Its not all about Manhattan. So many tourists miss out on the real NYC.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I detest everything about these cities. Why would I go? The population alone makes me want to drop the idea immediately. We have enough people from NYC down here in NC that I can ask them anything I want to know. London? You mean the overpriced bullpen with the new sanctuaries where the police aren't allowed to go? Or you mean Paris, the pickpocket capital of the world, with the big tower to distract you from the smells of fresh (and stale) micturition overpowering any wafts from the whimsical bakery you might want to visit?

Give me NC, SC, GA, FL and I'll make the best of it. Plenty of mountains, trails, scenic byways, beach, farm, cities with big shopping and free parking lots...
I can understand why its 'not for you' but the bolded is pure nonsense - there are NO 'no go' areas anywhere in the UK and that includes London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel