U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
You can have a great time walking around Queens, Brooklyn and see how people live in the amazing neighborhoods there. Its not all about Manhattan. So many tourists miss out on the real NYC.
Itís true that Manhattan is not all there is to NYC. But itís just as ďrealĒ (as I understand the term) as Brooklyn or Queens. The problem is prioritizing since most folks have limited vacation time to spend when visiting ó and given that one can easily spend a couple weeks exploring all Manhattan has to offer (and itís conveniently compact to manage), itís not surprising many visitors donít have time to explore beyond. And most of the best museums, many of the iconic eateries, two of the major parks, and a significant amount of the excellent theater are Manhattan-based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
You can have a great time walking around Queens, Brooklyn and see how people live in the amazing neighborhoods there. Its not all about Manhattan. So many tourists miss out on the real NYC.
I live about 200 miles from New York City. I go there about 1-2 times a year and am fortunate to have visited all the boroughs.

Still, it’s such a gigantic city that no matter how much time you spend in it, you can never really see it all. It is more like a nation than a city.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The food is decent but mostly being taken over by chain restaurants you can find anywhere because minimum wage has ruined a lot of small business.
New York City is the food and dining capital of the United States.

Have you done a Google search when you are in the city?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I live about 200 miles from New York City. I go there about 1-2 times a year and am fortunate to have visited all the boroughs.

Still, itís such a gigantic city that no matter how much time you spend in it, you can never really see it all. It is more like a nation than a city.
It's as close to an Europe city you can find in the USA.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Restaurants and Broadway tickets are also very expensive in Manhattan.

Sometimes it's cheaper to do an international trip.
Yes, but far less jet lag traveling to NYC.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM

20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
There, I said it. If you haven’t been, then don’t think about it at all. Just go, at least once in your life.

Make sure your account balance is fat. You won’t be disappointed.

I don't really like NYC much. I find it overwhelming and confusing. I was quite disappointed in the tourist trap the Empire State Building turned out to be. It was $85 to go to the deck floor, another $10 if you wanted the audio to know what you're looking at, 3 hours in line like a bunch of cattle, they couldn't even be bothered to put up historical pics or artifacts or have someone talk, while people are in line so long. The only thing they had to entertain was a guy in a cheesy King Kong suit. No one appeared to work at Penn Station or where ever the bus was, and we asked a dozen people where Greyhound might be and no one had any clue. I did like Madame Tusseau's, lol. And I would very much like to go on Kramer's Seinfeld tour if they still have it.

I think NYC would be fun if you could go with unlimited funds and do Sex in the City type trip, but I actually like Philly much more, I think it's more user-friendly and more walkable to different areas of the city. I like Boston more than NYC too. I think it depends on your personality. I am not a huge crowd type person (for instance I wouldn't go to New Orleans at Mardi Gras if you paid me) and get overwhelmed in places like NY.

I am glad I went though, and think it'd be foolish for me to live within a few hours and never go see it.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
That is my impression too. New York City is like a piece of Europe or a foreign country within America.

It is almost a little strange that the United States let the city get away with it. Slipped through the cracks, so to speak.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
Quote:
Yes, but far less jet lag traveling to NYC.
I like NYC but it's not as interesting as international destinations.

Traveling to a country you have never been before lends itself to adventures. Apart from high population density and public transportation(and expensive parking), NYC is still a very American city.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
Quote:
If you want to experience European culture without flying too long, Quebec is probably a better choice.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
New York City is the food and dining capital of the United States.

Have you done a Google search when you are in the city?
I donít think that person has ventured far from Times Square. Itís one of the few places in Manhattan where you encounter a lot of chains and can have trouble finding a decent meal in NYC.

Agreed that New York is one of the few real foodie destinations in the US, along with San Francisco, New Orleans, and perhaps Chicago. Add Kansas City and Memphis if youíre including BBQ. But New York is arguably the best of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or