U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 PM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I donít think that person has ventured far from Times Square. Itís one of the few places in Manhattan where you encounter a lot of chains and can have trouble finding a decent meal in NYC.

Agreed that New York is one of the few real foodie destinations in the US, along with San Francisco, New Orleans, and perhaps Chicago. Add Kansas City and Memphis if youíre including BBQ. But New York is arguably the best of them all.
Texas BBQ is way better than Memphis/Kansas City BBQ.

However, Kansas City still has better BBQ than Oklahoma does.

New York is absolutely the best if you have the money for fine dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't really like NYC much. I find it overwhelming and confusing. I was quite disappointed in the tourist trap the Empire State Building turned out to be. It was $85 to go to the deck floor, another $10 if you wanted the audio to know what you're looking at, 3 hours in line like a bunch of cattle, they couldn't even be bothered to put up historical pics or artifacts or have someone talk, while people are in line so long. The only thing they had to entertain was a guy in a cheesy King Kong suit. No one appeared to work at Penn Station or where ever the bus was, and we asked a dozen people where Greyhound might be and no one had any clue. I did like Madame Tusseau's, lol. And I would very much like to go on Kramer's Seinfeld tour if they still have it.

I think NYC would be fun if you could go with unlimited funds and do Sex in the City type trip, but I actually like Philly much more, I think it's more user-friendly and more walkable to different areas of the city. I like Boston more than NYC too. I think it depends on your personality. I am not a huge crowd type person (for instance I wouldn't go to New Orleans at Mardi Gras if you paid me) and get overwhelmed in places like NY.

I am glad I went though, and think it'd be foolish for me to live within a few hours and never go see it.
Port Authority (the bus terminal) wasnít in my experience all that user friendly, agreed. Penn Station, where AMTRAK comes in is better in that regard.

Most folks Iíve encountered recommend going to Top of the Rock for city views rather than the ESL. The latter does have a fine view and is a gorgeous building, but it has been ages since Iíve been there. There are scads of great buildings in Manhattan, including the Chrysler, Woolworth, and Flatiron as well as Grand Central Station and St. Patrickís Cathedral, all of which are far less trouble to visit.

If the Madame Tussaudís in Manhattan is as bad as the one in London, I say no thanks.

There are scads of great attractions in NYC, especially museums. Sorry you didnít try any of things like the American Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Frick Collection, the Whitney Museum, or any of the smaller collections of art or history. The Bronx Zoo is arguably the finest in the US. Central Park is pleasant to explore, too. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are great, though they require planning and advance ticketing.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't really like NYC much. I find it overwhelming and confusing. I was quite disappointed in the tourist trap the Empire State Building turned out to be. It was $85 to go to the deck floor, another $10 if you wanted the audio to know what you're looking at, 3 hours in line like a bunch of cattle, they couldn't even be bothered to put up historical pics or artifacts or have someone talk, while people are in line so long.
I've never been to the Empire State Building. I imagine that most New Yorkers haven't been. It's too touristy.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've never been to the Empire State Building. I imagine that most New Yorkers haven't been. It's too touristy.
I highly recommend going to the Empire State Building. It is one of the most iconic buildings to visit, up there with the Eiffel Tower.

The basic fee for an adult is currently $36 for the main deck.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:47 PM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:

Most folks Iíve encountered recommend going to Top of the Rock for city views rather than the ESL.

I would forget about the Top of the Rock. Instead go to the Rainbow Room for a drink. It's the 65th floor instead of the 70th floor for Top of the Rock. No long lines for admission and they have drinks!!!!! Much better to spend money on alcohol than admission fees.

https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/

Old 05-07-2019, 03:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 679,088 times
[quote=bachslunch;55125276]
Most folks I’ve encountered recommend going to Top of the Rock for city views rather than the ESL. The latter does have a fine view and is a gorgeous building, but it has been ages since I’ve been there. There are scads of great buildings in Manhattan, including the Chrysler, Woolworth, and Flatiron as well as Grand Central Station and St. Patrick’s Cathedral, all of which are far less trouble to visit. /QUOTE]

Are there tours of the Chrysler Building?

Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 PM

11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times
Quote:

If the Madame Tussaud’s in Manhattan is as bad as the one in London, I say no thanks.

Sorry about that, it is a bit of a tourst trap Madame Tussard's and it's expensive as well.

On the plus side there are some great free museums in London.

Museums are also going to put more of their collections currently in storage on display across the UK, and the The Smithsonian Institution will establish a presence in London for the first time ever, in partnership with the V&A at the Stratford Olympic site, which known as the East Bank Scheme, whilst Sadlers Wells will also be opening new faclities at the East Bank.

East Bank | Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM

20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Texas BBQ is way better than Memphis/Kansas City BBQ.

However, Kansas City still has better BBQ than Oklahoma does.

New York is absolutely the best if you have the money for fine dining.
And like it. I donít like getting 3 carrot strips over a tiny entree for $65, $10 more if I want a potato. Iíd rather have Texas bbq beef sandwich, sauce on the side, any day. It would honestly be a waste to take me to a true gourmet restaurant.

If anyone saw ďThe 100 Foot JourneyĒ, Iíd have hated everything in Helen Mirrenís Michelin starred restaurant, and more so, every restaurant the young star chef cooked in after he left home.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM

20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Sorry about that, it is a bit of a tourst trap Madame Tussard's and it's expensive as well.

On the plus side there are some great free museums in London.

Museums are also going to put more of their collections currently in storage on display across the UK, and the The Smithsonian Institution will establish a presence in London for the first time ever, in partnership with the V&A at the Stratford Olympic site, which known as the East Bank Scheme, whilst Sadlers Wells will also be opening new faclities at the East Bank.

East Bank | Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

We had a great time at Madame Tussaudís. Wax museums are the only museums where they let you touch the display sit on the displays etc. I have a picture of Elton John patting my butt. I have a picture of Annie Leibovitz taking a picture of me. I sat on Ozzy OsbourneĎs lap. With a group of people, itís a lot of fun. Just saying, I donít think itís anything NYC needs to apologize for. In my opinion the Empire State building was much more of a rip off.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
[quote=NW4me;55125365]
Quote:
Most folks Iíve encountered recommend going to Top of the Rock for city views rather than the ESL. The latter does have a fine view and is a gorgeous building, but it has been ages since Iíve been there. There are scads of great buildings in Manhattan, including the Chrysler, Woolworth, and Flatiron as well as Grand Central Station and St. Patrickís Cathedral, all of which are far less trouble to visit. /QUOTE]

Are there tours of the Chrysler Building?
None that Iím aware of, but you can see the outside and go in the lobby. Gorgeous building, a real favorite of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or