U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:37 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Texas BBQ is way better than Memphis/Kansas City BBQ.
Eh — personal taste. I like all kinds of BBQ: Texas, KC, Memphis, the different Carolina types. The best of these are all well worth eating. YMMV.

Quote:
However, Kansas City still has better BBQ than Oklahoma does.
No argument there. The only BBQ I had in OKC was an outpost of the Salt Lick (Texas style) at the airport. Apparently they’re gone now. It was good, actually, but not exactly indigenous and unique.

Quote:
New York is absolutely the best if you have the money for fine dining.
And even if you don’t. One can eat reasonably and very well in NYC at pizza places, delis, bagel shops, Chinese spots, and hot dog places like Gray’s Papaya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 PM

982 posts, read 300,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

And even if you don’t. One can eat reasonably and very well in NYC at pizza places, delis, bagel shops, Chinese spots, and hot dog places like Gray’s Papaya.
Gray's Papaya is great! Best hot dogs in the world. Katz’s Delicatessen is good too. Buy a salami for your boy in the Army!

Chinatown has tons of inexperience restaurants. Nom Wah has the best dim sum.

Arturo's Pizza is cheaper and wonderful. Patsy's is more expensive Italian.

Symposium has great Greek. The Shakespeare is British gastropub in The William hotel.

Then, there is the Russian Tea Room for more expensive tastes.

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square bar where famous writers included Robert Benchley, Dorothy Parker, Harold Ross, Robert E. Sherwood and Alexander Woollcott had their round table. The cocktail menu is amazing.

Streak houses like Keens, Smith & Wollensky and Gallaghers are great.

In fact, there are so many NYC restaurants I've only been to a few. I try to get to Mari Vanna for brunch once a year. Russian food prepared by Russians in NYC!

Texas BBQ is my choice. Out all of Texas, Dom's BBQ is my favorite

Old 05-08-2019, 12:45 AM

270 posts, read 77,309 times
Only one city can be considered unique

Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
Re BBQ, should add that it’s easy to list Kansas City and Memphis in such a city food list because they’re, well, cities. Both Texas and Carolina BBQ tend to be spread out, not concentrated in any one city.

The closest one can get respectively might be Lockhart (TX) and either Lexington or Columbia (for NC and SC).

Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 AM

11,622 posts, read 3,978,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We had a great time at Madame Tussaud’s. Wax museums are the only museums where they let you touch the display sit on the displays etc. I have a picture of Elton John patting my butt. I have a picture of Annie Leibovitz taking a picture of me. I sat on Ozzy Osbourne‘s lap. With a group of people, it’s a lot of fun. Just saying, I don’t think it’s anything NYC needs to apologize for. In my opinion the Empire State building was much more of a rip off.

Madame Tussauds was originally a woman who made wax death masks of those executed during the French Revolution. athe collection of death maks was later put on display at the Lyceum Theatre in London, and in 1835 Madame Tussaud with her sons, establishes a base in London at ‘The Baker Street Bazaar.’ Madame Tussaud died at her Baker Street home in 1850 leaving the museum to her sons.

History - Madame Tussauds

Today there are now Madame Tussaud's can be found in a lot of cities across the world, and The Tussauds Group is owned by Merlin Entertainments, a large British company, which is second only to Disney in terms of annual attendace to it's entertainment venues and theme parks.

List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia

Merlin Entertainments - Wikipedia

Madame Tussaud's often has mixed reviews, however everone os entitled to there own opinion.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-08-2019 at 03:07 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 02:59 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
I like the way that a discussion about Paris, New York and London brings out all sorts of comparisons and contrasts with cities across the world.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:07 AM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I like the way that a discussion about Paris, New York and London brings out all sorts of comparisons and contrasts with cities across the world.
If we’re talking aesthetics, New York is very far down the list. I use New York as a service city. We head in, do our event, and leave. It’s usually one overnight. It’s really not the kind of city where I want to spend extended time relaxing and recharging. It’s a brash, vulgar place. It has world class everything but it lacks the soul of many other cities. With infinite money, I’d love to have a city apartment there but it wouldn’t be my primary address.

I’d put Rome, Paris, and London as my top 3 and in that ranked order.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 AM

270 posts, read 77,309 times
Quote:

If you love Baroque style.. Rome is the 1st..

Tourists visiting Rome go to see Colisseum Vatican Pantheon ect ect.. they don't care to see Baroque palaces that are everywhere in Rome..

Rome itself is a open sky musem

Tourist visiting Paris go to see Eifel Tower and then ?.. Museum. and baroque palace along the streets..

Don't forget that Baroque was born in Rome

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
That is my impression too. New York City is like a piece of Europe or a foreign country within America.

It is almost a little strange that the United States let the city get away with it. Slipped through the cracks, so to speak.

This is looking at things from the wrong end of the telescope. The rest of the U.S. didn't "let" NYC happen, as NYC pre-dates most of the rest of the U.S. as a settled area. It was the main urban model for many other U.S. cities which is reflected in their older sections where that type of built form was not actively destroyed. As recently as 50-60 years ago this was still fairly obvious if you toured the country's cities.

If anything, it's actually more accurate to say that much of the rest of the U.S. has lost its way in terms of city building.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 AM

982 posts, read 300,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post

St. Petersburg is the Venice of the north.

Unfortunately, real Italians don't want to live in an expensive Disneyland with cruise ships dropping off hordes of tourist. Venice has more foreigners living and running/working businesses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or