U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM

978 posts, read 297,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The 9/11 memorial, fountains is a weird place. I understand the tragedy but for the money they have spent and the amount of people that go there it just seems odd.
It is basically a cemetery with a gift shop. Very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 08:32 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

<snip>
NYC … I had to be there numerous times for a project a few years ago in the financial district. Stayed in a hotel at 32nd/Lex not too far away. My "boss", from that area, loved all the big city attractions and leased/borrowed some very fancy townhouse accommodations for himself, like 3,000 sq ft apartments. I could neither afford the time or money for the shows, sports events, or similar activities which he was astounded held no interest for me. And the people there that I dealt with were all pretty cold, abrupt, and rude. A couple dinners at Peter Lugar's didn't make up for the annoyances of being in that city … and departing the restaurant was a lesson in safety there, as in they won't let you leave the restaurant on your own. They see you from the door to the cab they've hailed so that you're OK in the neighborhood. Not my kind of place to live at or want to visit, thank you.

IMO, the OP's premise is flawed. There's a lot of people I know that do not find the attractions of the big cities worth the trade-offs that big city lovers are willing to make.
32nd and Lex is nowhere near Fidi. Just sayin'.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:39 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It is basically a cemetery with a gift shop. Very weird.
Seriously?

If you went into the gift shop, then you had to have gone down into the museum. All you got out of all those rooms and all those stories and all those artifacts was...cemetery just because the still-unidentified remains are stored down there? They're behind a wall. You can't even go into that area unless you're a family member.

The memorial is the roof of a six-story deep train station structure. The rebuilding of the train station is what cost the most.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,368,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
32nd and Lex is nowhere near Fidi. Just sayin'.
I guess it's all in a relative perspective.

Maybe for you folks well acquainted with NYC and all it's boroughs and local centers of activity, it's a big separation and you're keenly aware of "how different" each little area is from it's neighbors.

For me, that 15-20 minute commute via cab was close by.

I had a couple of conferences there at the CSFB complex (at 11 Madison Ave) which ended in the mid-afternoon and having no further priorities for the day, I walked back to the hotel. Hoped I'd find something of interest to pass the time, maybe find a restaurant that captured my attention. I'd say it was an "interesting" walk to pass the time, but nothing that could be described as a pleasure even though I tried several different routes.

It takes me longer than that to get to town from my home, and 1/2 the drive is on a 75 mph highway.

PS: as a fan of SJPerelman, he wrote fondly about the Gramercy Park area he frequented for decades. I walked over there from the CSFB complex to peek in the Tavern and look around the neighborhood. There was simply no attraction about the place for me … I guess hangin' out at bars or upscale taverns isn't a focal point of my life although it seems to be a "big deal" for so many city dwellers. By way of comparison, in the context of this thread on C-D, it's interesting to note the place that the pubs take in London life, or the cafe's in Paris … apparently, social centers for so much of the population. Again, sitting around in such environments simply doesn't hold much interest for me, although we've had some excellent pub and café food in both cities. But to make that a focal point of our time there, to spend hours lingering around and drinking pints or wines for hours on end … no way for me.

When we were in Paris last year, I noticed several people sitting around at some of the cafe's in the late afternoon, holding forth at a sidewalk table. Hours later, when we went past on our way to a restaurant … around 8 pm … some of the same characters were still at the same tables, still with a glass of wine in hand. I'd have to say that it didn't hold much attraction for us … especially when we saw the same people at the same sidewalk locations the next day.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-04-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
I don't agree. These cities are too touristy but there are other issues, besides being crowded.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:10 AM

5,232 posts, read 3,005,081 times
I have been to London and NYC. At my age I will not be leaving this state even for a quick trip. Paris will have manage without me. Besides I don't have a yellow vest.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Well, "every single human being in the whole world" is a bit of a problem. That would trash those three cities in short order. I was dragged around NYC as a kid on a family vacation and have no real interest in going back. I would like to go to Paris more than London. I have a certain way of enjoying foreign places at a casual pace and I'm not sure London would fit that approach.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:25 PM

319 posts, read 205,285 times
We've been fortunate enough to visit Rome, Paris and London in the past 12 months. Been to NYC multiple times.

They all have a place on the imaginary "must see" list but one of the best things after seeing them is checking them off and seeking the "2nd tier" cities as stated earlier.

Although I would spend a few more days is Paris and London next time it works into a grander trip.

Rome was a one and done for us.

We've got our sights set on Iceland and Switzerland next.

Spain and Greece after that.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:48 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,665,305 times
I've been to all three. I loved London, but I found Parisians rude and New York feels both intimidating and filthy to me. Yes, I know all big cities are dirty. New York seems almost as dirty as San Francisco, which I also found fairly disgusting. For Americans and people traveling to the USA, I'd recommend D.C. as the one city not to miss. Culture, amazing museums (which are free!), the National Mall, plus all the big-city amenities you'd expect like a Chinatown, lots of eating options (including food trucks during the workday), an easy to use subway system, etc. There are homeless people, of course, and some of the areas are sketchy, but in general D.C. is far superior to NYC, IMO. I will agree that if you can only go to one foreign country to see a big city, London is a great option. I'd skip Paris, honestly... go somewhere in Switzerland instead. Zurich, maybe.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That's funny since my family lives in SC and I drove through there a couple times recently....the rest stops and other places we stopped at were extremely dirty and smelled like....well, Paris in the olden days on a hot summer day.

Somewhat the same with parts of NC until we got far enough out of the cities. I detest the Southern Cities...but maybe it's just me.

Now, if you are talking the Blue Ridge or Skyline Drive or that type of place......that's another story.

We winter in FL and the crime rate, homeless population, etc (even in a wealthy area) is vastly higher than where we live in New England. Motor vehicle and pedestrian deaths are among the highest in the nation and the poverty takes my breath away (I do volunteer work or I would never have run into it).

I understand not loving the Big City. I've been to NYC only about 4 times in the last 30 years.....even though I used to live 2 hours away. But it was fun going for a night.....by train...just for a event or convention, etc.

London...I did like. The gardens and parks and churches........

Hey, no one mentioned Copenhagen. Or Amsterdam. At least in those places one gets around by bike and there are lots of green spaces and most everything is low-rise.
Amsterdam is a hotbed for international infrastructure. Most points-of-presence for US data centers are located there. (I'm sure there internet is fantastic!) Anyone I know who's been has had high satisfaction with their trip (I wonder why...)

I work inland but still 2 hours from mountains. Gotta be close to where the opportunity is. Working and saving 50 weeks out of the year! But come a long weekend, I'll gladly drive in either direction to get to the terrain of my choice.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful between Boone and Asheville. I know there's many more hundred miles to it, but I'm already in the car to and from... I have to get out at some point and stretch my legs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or