U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,017,913 times

Advertisements

Can't go to NYC anymore. Not enough public restrooms, always having to buy something from a coffee shop to pee.

The hotel rooms are so small makes me feel I'am in a supermax prison, like the one El Chapo is in.

I prefer to live in an area where its diverse and another country is within 2 hrs drive. ( Think Southwest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 AM

695 posts, read 253,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
No city is a must see.
Exactly.

Besides, there are lots of other cities are as nice or nicer than those three cities the OP suggested. It depends on each person's choice/taste. There are Dubai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Sydney, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal… not exactly in that order.

And not every human being in the world can afford to visit a few of those cities, not to mention must.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM

11,660 posts, read 3,993,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The NY Ballet is extraordinary. I've seen the same ballets a few times, like the Nutcracker or Jewels. Never fails to thrill.

There are so many smaller events like Music Before 1800. https://mb1800.org . Concerts and lectures at the Metropolitan Museum's Cloisters location. Their medieval gardens are worth making a trip for.

Even Evensong at St. John the Divine's chorus is special. The Hungarian Pastry shop across the street is great.

There are so many wonderful things to see. It takes a little bit of curiosity.
London is home to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden which also hosts the Royal Ballet, whilst the London Coliseum is home to the English National Ballet and the English National Opera, the Royal Ballet also has a school at White Lodge in Richmond Park. Other famous performing arts venues include Sadlers Wells and Ramberts dance company. There is also Opera Holland Park, which puts on a number of opera productions in the summer in Holland Park.

In terms of classical Music London has five resifdent professional symphony orchestras, the most famous of which is the London Symphony Orchestra, the other four are the London Philharmonic, Royal Philharmonic, Philharmonia and BBC Symphony Orchestra. They are currently resident at the Barbican Arts Centre, Royal Festival Hall and Cadogan Hall, whilst Wigmore Hall is an intimate Victorian concert venue for chamber music recitals.

Plans have recently been announced to build new state of the art concert halls at the Barbican (London Symphiny Orchestra) and at Wimbledon (Philharmonia). The Royal Albert Hall is also home to a number of Classical Music, Ballet and Opera events including the annual BBC Proms Classical Music Festival.

As for music conservatoires the main ones are the Royal College of Music, Royal Academy of Music,Guildhall School of Music, Trinity Laban London Music School, London College of Music etc.

London is also home to world famous theatres including the West End in terms of musical theatre and dance, the Globe (Shakespeare), the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) which reguarly performs at the Barbican and theatres in London, the National Theatre, the Old Vic, the Young Vic, the Royal Court Theatre and numerous others.

List of London venues - Wikipedia

West End theatre - Wikipedia

In terms of the around 300 museums bearly all are free including the British Museum, Natural History Museum ,Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, National Maritime Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery,Tate Modern and Tate Britain, Imperial War Museum, Wallace Collection etc.

The two planned new concert halls in London and a short video relating to the Royal Opera House.

LSO's Sir Simon Rattle hails Centre for Music a ‘great concert hall for our time' - London Evening Standard

Will Frank Gehry's Wimbledon concert hall outshine £300m City rival

Wimbledon Concert Hall

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-05-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 11:52 AM

1,000 posts, read 305,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Can't go to NYC anymore. Not enough public restrooms, always having to buy something from a coffee shop to pee.
Bathrooms in Grand Central and NY Public Library on Fifth Avenue. The public bathrooms in Fort Tryon Park are pretty good too. There are department stores like Saks, Macy's, Bloomingdale's. Most churches have public bathrooms.

It does take work to plan a day out! Otherwise, it's more coffee or tea at coffee shops!

Old 05-05-2019, 11:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 305,011 times
Quote:
London is home to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden which also hosts the Royal Ballet, whilst the London Coliseum is home to the English National Ballet and the English National Opera, the Royal Ballet also has a school at White Lodge in Richmond Park. Other famous performing arts venues include Sadlers Wells and Ramberts dance company. There is also Opera Holland Park, which puts on a number of opera productions in the summer in Holland Park.
I am sure I could spend a year in London and never run out of things to see and do! It all sounds great!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:01 PM

11,660 posts, read 3,993,048 times
Quote:
I am sure I could spend a year in London and never run out of things to see and do! It all sounds great!

I could equally say the same thing about NYC and indeed Paris, all three are global cultural hubs.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:20 PM

3,384 posts, read 862,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because there are very few cities or places in the world with the level of quality things to see and do as these cities.

The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the British Museum... are just a few reasons why you should visit. Even the New York ballet is extraordinary. People should be exposed to this high level of culture.

But it is also about the quantity of such things. So much concentration in a small area.
That makes sense. I didn't think about museums and theater. Speaking strictly shopping, going to Southpark mall in Charlotte is almost like going to Lenox / Phipps Plaza in Buckhead. Most of the same stores and you'll find the actual proper retail stores of some of the names in the "Premium Outlets" by Tanger and Simon malls.

Concerning priceless art, I suppose there is only one original, and not all art can travel. Going to see performances at DPAC and the Duke Energy Center in Raleigh are as about as big of venues as I've been to for non-concert performances.

I just know that going to places with so many people will ruin even what would be a spectacular experience, from my frustration after being packed in like sardines and having to wait in line to get in, then having to wait in line to leave. Not having a car, getting motion sickness from passengering in some other method of transport... I'm a mess.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 PM

56,142 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
The NY Ballet is extraordinary. I've seen the same ballets a few times, like the Nutcracker or Jewels. Never fails to thrill.

There are so many smaller events like Music Before 1800. https://mb1800.org . Concerts and lectures at the Metropolitan Museum's Cloisters location. Their medieval gardens are worth making a trip for.

Even Evensong at St. John the Divine's chorus is special. The Hungarian Pastry shop across the street is great.

There are so many wonderful things to see. It takes a little bit of curiosity.
My favorite museum on the planet! It's like traveling back to the middle ages.

There are so many other little historical hidden gems in NYC. After the Titanic movie came out, one of the newspapers did an article on the related memorials around NYC, since NYC was the destination of the ship and so many New Yorkers died in the tragedy. There are memorials to Isidor and Ida Strauss, the owners of Macy*s who died on the Titanic, one in a park, and the other on the main floor of Macy*s itself. There is a monument in Battery Park to wireless operators who died at sea, including Jack Phillips from the Titanic.

There is a tiny cemetery containing the remains of early members of Shearith Israel, the first Jewish congregation in what was then Nieuw Amsterdam, formed when 23 Sephardic Jews asked for and were granted asylum escaping the last days of the Inquisition in Recife, Brazil in 1654.

There is a plaque marking the site of the famous Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire of 1911, an event which forever changed fire and building codes in the United States and helped bolster the organizations of unions in the garment industry. Every year the International Ladies Garment Workers Union still holds a memorial on March 25 for the 150+ workers, mostly young immigrant women, who jumped to their deaths or burned.

I could keep going, but that's enough. For someone who likes history, though, NYC is a goldmine despite its relative youth compared to London and Paris.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-05-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Exactly.

Besides, there are lots of other cities are as nice or nicer than those three cities the OP suggested. It depends on each person's choice/taste. There are Dubai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Sydney, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal… not exactly in that order.

And not every human being in the world can afford to visit a few of those cities, not to mention must.
I don't think I will visit NYC again on my dime. With the same amount of money, I could have a better time in exotic destinations from Yellowstone NP to the Basque country.

Museum fatigue is a real thing to me. I can't spend more than a couple of hours in a museum.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 PM

17,269 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

In terms of classical Music London has five resifdent professional symphony orchestras, the most famous of which is the London Symphony Orchestra, the other four are the London Philharmonic, Royal Philharmonic, Philharmonia and BBC Symphony Orchestra. They are currently resident at the Barbican Arts Centre, Royal Festival Hall and Cadogan Hall, whilst Wigmore Hall is an intimate Victorian concert venue for chamber music recitals.

Plans have recently been announced to build new state of the art concert halls at the Barbican (London Symphiny Orchestra) and at Wimbledon (Philharmonia). The Royal Albert Hall is also home to a number of Classical Music, Ballet and Opera events including the annual BBC Proms Classical Music Festival.

As for music conservatoires the main ones are the Royal College of Music, Royal Academy of Music,Guildhall School of Music, Trinity Laban London Music School, London College of Music etc.

London is also home to world famous theatres including the West End in terms of musical theatre and dance, the Globe (Shakespeare), the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) which reguarly performs at the Barbican and theatres in London, the National Theatre, the Old Vic, the Young Vic, the Royal Court Theatre and numerous others.

List of London venues - Wikipedia

West End theatre - Wikipedia

In terms of the around 300 museums bearly all are free including the British Museum, Natural History Museum ,Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, National Maritime Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery,Tate Modern and Tate Britain, Imperial War Museum, Wallace Collection etc.

The two planned new concert halls in London and a short video relating to the Royal Opera House.

LSO's Sir Simon Rattle hails Centre for Music a ‘great concert hall for our time' - London Evening Standard

Will Frank Gehry's Wimbledon concert hall outshine £300m City rival

Wimbledon Concert Hall

Thanks for sharing.

Even just reading about all this feels invigorating and uplifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or