U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 PM

903 posts, read 232,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Let's get this thread back on track. The topic is about what people misunderstand about staying in an Airbnb and not how upsetting it us to have vacationers staying in your building, the evils of anything other than whatever obscure home stay thing Stealthrabbit prefers, gentrifying neighborhoods, zoning or anything else. It's not a thread to debate the merits of a hotel vs Airbnb. It's not a thread to complain about what hours people keep on vacation. All of these are perfectly valid debates but again, this is not the thread to debate there things in.
When you start a thread, you should be prepared for the possibility of it branching off into tangential discussions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Additionally, you're not the moderator or host of the thread. You don't get to dictate whether people get to have those tangential discussions just because it's not what you envision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
When you start a thread, you should be prepared for the possibility of it branching off into tangential discussions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Additionally, you're not the moderator or host of the thread. You don't get to dictate whether people get to have those tangential discussions just because it's not what you envision.
Jaja.

It turns out that there aren't many "misunderstandings".

Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,604 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Jaja.

It turns out that there aren't many "misunderstandings".
Certainly no misunderstandings... if you are an Air B&B proprietor!

or... Back on topic... (again...)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/55106411-post41.html

Airbnb stays and common misunderstandings

Mis-understanding (?)

How can that be (?) with 100,000,000's of independent owners and clients WW...

Clear as mud...

Just had a lively Air B&B discussion with our guests, I won't post their comments
There might be a misunderstanding (again).

(They too have been traveling this way for over 50 yrs)

Must just be another anomaly

Old 05-10-2019, 05:11 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Certainly no misunderstandings... if you are an Air B&B proprietor!
I'm not an Air B&B proprietor, yet like most who use airbnb don't suffer these misunderstandings that cause you to have almost insurmountable problems with using/understanding the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Clear as mud...
You again demonstrate that you are the anomaly.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:37 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,552,373 times
We stay in Airbnb all the time and haven’t had any issues. However I don’t expect the host to be available 24/7 or repair anything while we’re there. If something doesn’t work or a sink is leaky or something I will let them know so they’re aware. Now if the only toilet broke that would be different, of course.

We love it. We do it every chance we get and have done Airbnb all over the world. I would host if I had a property to do it in.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM

3,182 posts, read 1,962,242 times
Quote:
Let's get this thread back on track. The topic is about what people misunderstand about staying in an Airbnb […]

Honestly, I'm not even sure what you are expecting. Probably any comment I have would be off-topic by your standard.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-10-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We stay in Airbnb all the time and haven’t had any issues. However I don’t expect the host to be available 24/7 or repair anything while we’re there. If something doesn’t work or a sink is leaky or something I will let them know so they’re aware. Now if the only toilet broke that would be different, of course.

We love it. We do it every chance we get and have done Airbnb all over the world. I would host if I had a property to do it in.
That's reasonable. I have had guests point out minor issues and appreciate that so we can stay on top of maintenance. Hard to notice this stuff if you are not in the property every day.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's only mentioned by him, in the whole forum, if not the whole universe.
I'm not interested in having a stranger pack my lunch and lecture me on how generous they are to do so. If that's what a "hospitality stay" entails please count me out!

Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,600,830 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in having a stranger pack my lunch and lecture me on how generous they are to do so. If that's what a "hospitality stay" entails please count me out!
No kidding. I go on vacation to spend time with friends and/or family. I’d rather spend more money on a hotel or a whole house AirBnb than be expected to waste my time chatting up strangers.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,604 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
You are imagining things, How many 'hospitality stays' have you hosted or done?

In over 1000 stays I have never had a 'hospitality host' emphasize or even mention how generous they are, EXCEPT for an Air B&B host in Ireland who was really pumped up about their ratings.

Hospitality folks do it (free) as a service to others, not out of desperation for profit / making house payments.

Certainly not for all... that is fine, I think the thread is about Misunderstanding of Air B&B's..

There are plenty (that's obvious, and to be expected).

Nothing is perfect (except for the 'desired' responses to this thread).

100% of my Air B&B stays had a profit motive, all but one had a 'crisis' profit motive. (needed the dough for payment, drugs? whatever)
Some were dangerous.
Some were very noisy / smokey.
Most were illegally positioned (not in commercial zoning / insurance / code violations for use, construction, and safety).
Most were dirty.
I do not have high expectations or needs.

YMMV as do many. (We all expect that)

Family members have (6) VRBO homes on FL coast. They use Air B&B for short fills. They dislike the organization and the clients, but it fills a minimal Short Term need for revenue. (Again.. profit motive / necessity) and LEGAL rental units ++

If I need a place, I have great success with Homeaway. (usually use that international, as most owners are international, not USA based). For short stays, Agoda has excellent customer service and often has similar accommodations to Air B&B. Sad than many of these great operations get absorbed into the conglomerates, but last week Agoda quickly straightened out a problem, so they still have a bit of autonomy to meet customer service requirements. And the businesses they represent are true businesses. With insurance, permits, registration, and reputation.

No FALSE reviews! that is a plus!

True B&B organizations have higher accountability and standards than Air B&B (for similar cost) and you (legally) get what you pay for / as advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or