U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

Airbnb stays and common misunderstandings

Very easy,,,
  1. Air B&B is often over-rated (at owner' insistence to client for a good rating, and many clients have low expectations of cleanliness, noise, safety.)
  2. Air B&B is often overpriced. ALWAYS check with a 'certified' BnB, especially internationally. They have jurisdiction / oversight on the properties.
  3. Legality - many Air B&B's are illegal or under-insured
  4. Owner conflicts - you can be dealing with a monster (and not know it)
  5. 3rd party issues... Air B&B can be an issue for owners and clients

YMMV, there are MANY great alternatives and if cost is ever an incentive... Air B&B will seldom win over the other alternatives.

Even in remote places around the world, seldom have I found Air B&B to be an advantage.

OTOH, my kids have used Air B&B for last 10 yrs ~ 30% of their international travels. They are OK with it (generational advantage). We all travel a lot (20 - 50% of the time) so they have had many more Air B&B stays than I. They are very picky about finding referrals beyond the standard Air B&B rating. (They do not trust the ratings either). Very wise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 AM

978 posts, read 297,496 times
My problem with Airbnb is location. I'll use Airbnb in remote locations where hotels are non existent or few between.

I will not use Airbnb in cities. My kids live in apartment buildings. I never want a tenant there to start an Airbnb there. The apartment buildings have locked front doors. Why would anyone want to give the Airbnb renter a key which could be copied and use without permission? Why have strangers walking around the hallways? There are security issues in NYC which don't lend themselves to Airbnb.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
check the liability insurance before you sign-up. many places are death traps. That would be bad. (for all).
Ahh so there is a problem with airbnb homes being death traps, but homes offered by these hospitality exchange places you favor are not. Of course you also claim to have very little experience with airbnb so it's bizarre you making these sweeping generalizations implying they are more often death traps.

Quote:
[*]Air B&B is often over-rated (at owner' insistence to client for a good rating, and many clients have low expectations of cleanliness, noise, safety.)[*]Air B&B is often overpriced. ALWAYS check with a 'certified' BnB, especially internationally. They have jurisdiction / oversight on the properties.[*]Legality - many Air B&B's are illegal or under-insured[*]Owner conflicts - you can be dealing with a monster (and not know it)[*]3rd party issues... Air B&B can be an issue for owners and clients[/list]
1. Nobody can force you to leave a rating, it's a false dilemma that you constantly harp on
2. Buyer beware, it's quite easy to compare what you get with airbnb versus hotels.
3. Do you really know the insurance level of the local guest house you stay with? Nope.
4. Look at the ratings, if your airbnb has a hundred 5 star reviews you likely don't have a monster

Quote:
Air B&B will seldom win over the other alternatives.
Sure it does. You're working under the assumption that every prefers to hang out with a host in a shared space, can't read reviews, can't pick a quality place, has an irrational fear of being forced to leave a review, etc. Others value different things than you so Air B&B wins.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Also note StealthRabbit seems to purposely vary his experience with Airbnb. In another thread when asked how he can talk about so many experience with airbnb when he doesn't use it he implies much more than the 8 times he's been saying in this thread:

Quote:
Since I have had thousands of excellent stays at $20 < Guest homes, they are my preference. I have used less than 100 Ab&b's, and they are my LEAST preferred option, and seldom 'frugal', but since I don't travel to cities... I use what is available where I am at. On occasion, that will limit me to an Ab&b. so.. I take another 'risk'.
Sure 8 technically fits in "less than 100" but clearly that's misrepresenting since 8 is also less than 10. Grain of salt listening to someone with an agenda who's so willing to stretch the truth as needed.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Makes me curious about where and when you travel. Your experience is obviously in the small minority else there would be no bnb business. I've found bnb most useful in high-demand tourist areas at high-demand times (i.e. Florida beaches on Memorial weekend) when hotel rooms are either booked solid or jacked up sky high.

I think the biggest difference is consistency. Obviously some hotels are much better than others but they all work in the same basic process and offer some variation of the same product. Air bnb can literally be anything, from a full house to a small room to a boat to an RV camper. Check in/out procedures, room cleaning, amenities provided, and house rules can be all over the map. Safest course for both guests and owners is to make no assumptions. The owner needs to explicitly mention any expectations they have in their posting and the guest needs to ask about any expectations not listed in the posting.
Hosts do mention these things explicitly. In every Airbnb stay I have had there's been a list of check out instructions. Most of the time it's pretty simple. But again I don't tend to stay in spots where I am sharing space with a host. I have only ever rented N entire house or separate apartment. So though I have met hosts I have not shared a bathroom with any. I'm sure the considerations in those cases are really different. We also are not on site with any of our guests. We leave instructions and are clear on our listing. Nonetheless there is occasionally someone who doesn't understand the rules or process.

Hotels can also be inconsistent. I used to stay at the Franklin in Philadelphia quite a bit for business. It had been an Omni, got new owners and underwent a redesign. Everything about the quality of the stay collapsed. The redesign was awful and decor terrible. The manager didn't give a hoot about anything. Even the food went from decent to awful. Likewise I have stayed in chains where the experience has varied wildly from location to location. I don't know that Airbnb has a market on inconsistency.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Some airbnb checkins are nicely automated where it is so much better than a hotel. Our last one (Hong Kong) dude just emailed me the exterior door code, and that the interior door would be the last four digits of the cell phone number on my profile. Absolutely painless. That place had a washer/dryer in the kitchen as well, so not only larger but also is far more utility than I'd get in a similarly priced hotel in HK.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Also note StealthRabbit seems to purposely vary his experience with Airbnb. In another thread when asked how he can talk about so many experience with airbnb when he doesn't use it he implies much more than the 8 times he's been saying in this thread:

Sure 8 technically fits in "less than 100" but clearly that's misrepresenting since 8 is also less than 10. Grain of salt listening to someone with an agenda who's so willing to stretch the truth as needed.
sorry, meant to say 10 'family' Air B&B visits (including kids).

I have no 'agenda'

Suffice to say, my visits have been terrible with one exception.

On the insurance side...

Hospitality stays are NOT revenue generating and insurance liability is handled totally different with invited guests than subleasing commercial space. Of course all the readers and Air B&B client know this.

Some of the Air B&B's were modified qtrs (to optimize income), Definitely not safe or permitted / inspected.

EVERY host requested a 5* ranking. I'm sure that was totally a coincidence.

Of course the OP is an Air B&B host so we would expect the discussion and content to be biased.

Such are public forums.

EZ to find 'misunderstandings' in Air B&B representations and experiences

Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 PM

496 posts, read 520,514 times
Could not agree wih you more. They don't say "cleanliness is next to godliness" for nothing.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
To
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Some airbnb checkins are nicely automated where it is so much better than a hotel. Our last one (Hong Kong) dude just emailed me the exterior door code, and that the interior door would be the last four digits of the cell phone number on my profile. Absolutely painless. That place had a washer/dryer in the kitchen as well, so not only larger but also is far more utility than I'd get in a similarly priced hotel in HK.
Automated is the way to go! I can't stand being up all night on a flight and having to wait for a room at a hotel.

Last edited by emotiioo; 05-05-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
I have stayed in dozens of air bnbs and have been perfectly content (or even thrilled) with all but 2-3 of them. But then I am pretty tolerant of my lodging quarters, only thing I ask is it be relatively quiet and I include that on my profile.

You can usually tell from the listings if someone is just doing it as a business. I prefer it if it is their home or a basement apartment. Sometimes you can tell if they are wanting the company or just needing help with the mortgage/rent but usually it feels like a combination. About half the visits have more than minimal interaction and I am fine with that. Sometimes the host will go above and beyond like giving a ride to the airport when the train workers are "en Greve" (strike).

The price is usually much cheaper than a hotel for just getting a room. I like having the use of kitchen facilities or at least space in the refrigerator. I like having the use of a garden, porch, or patio if possible.

SR sings the praises of hospitality exchanges but the key word is exchange. I don't want to have to keep my house hospitality clean or be tied down to a schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or