U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM

20,417 posts, read 37,822,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Also note StealthRabbit seems to purposely vary his experience with Airbnb. In another thread when asked how he can talk about so many experience with airbnb when he doesn't use it he implies much more than the 8 times he's been saying in this thread:

Sure 8 technically fits in "less than 100" but clearly that's misrepresenting since 8 is also less than 10. Grain of salt listening to someone with an agenda who's so willing to stretch the truth as needed.

Pretty much. The agenda was blatantly obvious the very first post of StealthRabbit's that I read. Couldn't get much more obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 03:46 PM

20,417 posts, read 37,822,098 times
I personally have had only one airbnb experience, though much more with B&B's in the past and, of course, with hotels ranging from Best Western on up.

The one airbnb experience was excellent. We were arranging a small immediate family reunion since our family is spread out from Texas to Canada. We needed a place that had enough bedrooms for 5-1/2 people (one being our four-year-old grandson) and room to spread out, lots of outdoor space for the kid to run off energy, and definitely a kitchen and dining room (we're all foodies and some of us are professionals). airbnb was a perfect solution for our weekend. The house was not fancy, but a typical lake house,on a fenced acre on an arm of the lake, with all the toys for big and little one could possibly want, and a kitchen big enough to accommodate many cooks and a dining table big enough for all of us. The owners lived across the road - we saw him on check-in so he could familiarize us with everything, and once more when we couldn't figure out the TV cable service and he came over and fixed it and showed us how if it went out again. He was, however, available in the length of time it took to walk across the street if we needed anything. We were so pleased, all of us, that there is a plan to go back again and stay longer this time. All quite affordable, all things considered, for the three days, as well.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:30 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
To

Automated is the way to go! I can't stand being up all night on a flight and having to wait for a room at a hotel.
Many Hilton family properties now let you use your smartphone as your room key if you've got their app.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 PM

2,381 posts, read 1,214,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Many Hilton family properties now let you use your smartphone as your room key if you've got their app.
Not if the room isn't turned over. And check in us officially at three pm. Late check outs for many chains now as a bioon to members. Great. My overseas flight gets me in at 6am. So I'm supposed to just hang out and sleep on the lobby while the maids turn over the rooms? I have been through this so many times ots not even funny.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
Quote:
Not if the room isn't turned over. And check in us officially at three pm. Late check outs for many chains now as a bioon to members. Great. My overseas flight gets me in at 6am. So I'm supposed to just hang out and sleep on the lobby while the maids turn over the rooms? I have been through this so many times ots not even funny.
And just how many airbnbs let you check in at 6 am? Unless you booked the previous night, you aren't getting into them at 6 am either, if there was already someone else staying there.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,787,244 times
Quote:
Sorry, what? Book the night before so that your room is ready for you when you arrive at that wild hour!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And just how many airbnbs let you check in at 6 am? Unless you booked the previous night, you aren't getting into them at 6 am either, if there was already someone else staying there.
All of ours. And really most with a keypad.

Last edited by emotiioo; 05-06-2019 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
Quote:
Akk of ours. And really most with a keypad.
Not if there is someone staying there the previous night.

Just like in a hotel, that person has use of the unit until a specified check out time, and then the unit needs cleaned. There is a listed check in time for every airbnb I've seen, along with a specified check out time.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Sorry, what? Book the night before so that your room is ready for you when you arrive at that wild hour!
I guess you don't take a lot of overseas flights? They are typically overnight. You leave from NYC or Boston or DC at 8/9pm and get to London, Paris Berlin etc the next morning. Flight times range from 5.5 to 9 hours depending on where you go in Europe. I used to travel to Europe for work about 20 days out of each month. My employer paid for the hotel. It was not in my best interest to book an extra night. You are just expected to sleep on the plane an suck it up (business class makes this easier but it's not always available.) Asian trips can be even worse in terms of throwing off sleep. But sometimes you get lucky with those and hit the ground close to check in time.

Hotels never guarantee a super early check in. You can call and ask, flash your AmEx Black, etc. It really depends on how booked they are and how quickly their maids turn things over. With an Airbnb you can look for automatic flexible check in with a keypad. You can show up at any time. Not all accommodations offer this but it's something you can filter for. And believe me, not only do I look for this butwe offer our guests that option in every property.

See? More misunderstandings about how this all works out for you when you use an Airbnb!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not if there is someone staying there the previous night.

Just like in a hotel, that person has use of the unit until a specified check out time, and then the unit needs cleaned. There is a listed check in time for every airbnb I've seen, along with a specified check out time.
Not true. Flexible check in is very common. Look for it. Also the host gets to set how much time they need between guests....a few hours to several days. In one property we can turn everything over in a few hours because the cleaning crew is right down the street and only cleans a few places for friends. In another we need a full day between because we personally go over as much as we can to check on things like the hot tub. If we can't turn over a property in time it shows as unavailable.

We do list a check out time but frequently have guests ask for a later check out. We are often able to accommodate that as well. On the whole it's a lot more flexible than a hotel. But again we don't share space with the guests. That would be a different story I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or