U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:51 AM

21,203 posts, read 11,820,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Not true. Flexible check in is very common. Look for it. Also the host gets to set how much time they need between guests....a few hours to several days. In one property we can turn everything over in a few hours because the cleaning crew is right down the street and only cleans a few places for friends. In another we need a full day between because we personally go over as much as we can to check on things like the hot tub. If we can't turn over a property in time it shows as unavailable.

We do list a check out time but frequently have guests ask for a later check out. We are often able to accommodate that as well. On the whole it's a lot more flexible than a hotel. But again we don't share space with the guests. That would be a different story I'm sure.
Are you truly not understanding the example I gave?

Example - someone is staying at an airbnb from Mon May 6 through Saturday May 11. You are arriving at 6 am on Saturday May 11. There is no "flexible check in" that could mean that you are getting into that unit at 6 am on Saturday May 11, unless you are planning on climbing into bed with the previous guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,220,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Example - someone is staying at an airbnb from Mon May 6 through Saturday May 11. You are arriving at 6 am on Saturday May 11. There is no "flexible check in" that could mean that you are getting into that unit at 6 am on Saturday May 11, unless you are planning on climbing into bed with the previous guest.
You aren't understanding the example.

There's no guest staying currently or that date isn't available. Hosts have the option to set any check in or out time they want. It's not a hotel that has a rigid definition. If you offer flexible check in it's the day AFTER your last guests have departed. It's not at 6am on the last day of another resevation.

Again we get a lot of requests for late check out. We don't book two guests on the same day. We have multiple properties to manage and set reasonable expectations for the crews to get them clean and ready. It's not a hotel or a chain. It's a personal business. We do quite well with this model. And it's more time to clean the spaces because they are much bigger than a hotel room. So it makes sense not to pack reservations in like sardines and offer flexibility.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 AM

5,967 posts, read 2,905,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Suffice to say, my visits have been terrible with one exception.
When 7/8 airbnb experiences have been terrible, you're the problem.

Quote:
Some of the Air B&B's were modified qtrs (to optimize income), Definitely not safe or permitted / inspected.
Please quantify this since you're constantly repeating this dire warning. What percentage of airbnbs are not safe? I've been in plenty of guest houses that wouldn't pass USA fire code norms, does that mean I stop using those when I travel well? Of course I'm sure there is some alternate universe where every homestay place is absolutely up to code and never had problems after thousands of visits.

Quote:
EVERY host requested a 5* ranking. I'm sure that was totally a coincidence.
It was either a coincidence or you're exaggerating again, but bottom line no owner can make you give a review much less a five star review so what is this massive problem that you spend so much time harping on?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 4,575,774 times
Quote:

You're correct, they cannot give you early check-in if a guest is in that room. But bnb owners are generally not as focused on yield management as hotel chains. As mentioned, many owners do not schedule same day checkout/checkin but leave a day or two gap betweeen stays to allow for cleaning and miscellaneous stuff. A guest may have made a really bad mess or broken something. Bnb owners do not have the luxury of just putting their guest into another room. Yes, if they let you check-in early Saturday they are losing the chance to sell the room Friday night but most owners I've known are quite happy to give up 8 nights potential revenue for 7 nights actual revenue.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're correct, they cannot give you early check-in if a guest is in that room. But bnb owners are generally not as focused on yield management as hotel chains. As mentioned, many owners do not schedule same day checkout/checkin but leave a day or two gap betweeen stays to allow for cleaning and miscellaneous stuff. A guest may have made a really bad mess or broken something. Bnb owners do not have the luxury of just putting their guest into another room. Yes, if they let you check-in early Saturday they are losing the chance to sell the room Friday night but most owners I've known are quite happy to give up 8 nights potential revenue for 7 nights actual revenue.
Exactly! Very well said. We are focused on comfortable experiences for guests. Profit comes after you build up a reputation delivering just that. Different model than a hotel chain with more overhead.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Here's a few more misconceptions I'm gleaning from the other thread about Airbnb and reviews...

1. That guests don't have their own tv with premium channels or their own bathroom. Depends on the stay but we typically find smart TVs with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime are typical. And you can certainly find places with private bathrooms even in shared homes

2. That check in and out is the same as a hotel. Again it depends but I find that Airbnb offers a lot more "flexible check in" than hotels. Hosts are rated on the check in process as one of the elements. So many have a key code and are flexible about times

3. That you should let one party go first to leave reviews of the trip. Fact is you can't see what anyone has written until BOTH parties leave reviews.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:24 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Down here the normal vacation condo rental during peak summer season runs from 6:00pm on Saturday to 10:00am the following Saturday regardless if you're using a management company or going the AirBnb/VRBO route.

Which creates a massive demand for housecleaners on Saturdays in the summer. I know clerical workers who do summer cleaning and from June to August are making more on their Saturday job than they are on their M-F job.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 PM

5,472 posts, read 2,931,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

With Airbnb the host may stop by or check you in.
I have never had anyone "check in" on me. I don't think I would like that. Except by email--that would be okay.

I am currently at a Airbnb now. It is probably the best I have ever had. I have stayed in over 15 now. Her attention to small details is amazing. Just for a small example--she has a basket with a phone charger, tape, batteries and scissors!

The biggest difference. I think they are cleaner. They depend on reviews, so they better do a good job at keeping a clean place

Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM

5,472 posts, read 2,931,963 times
Quote:
There is no "flexible check in" that could mean that you are getting into that unit at 6 am on Saturday May 11, unless you are planning on climbing into bed with the previous guest.
I have had flexible check in many times. Who the heck arrives at 6am?? That would not be common!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I have never had anyone "check in" on me. I don't think I would like that. Except by email--that would be okay.

I am currently at a Airbnb now. It is probably the best I have ever had. I have stayed in over 15 now. Her attention to small details is amazing. Just for a small example--she has a basket with a phone charger, tape, batteries and scissors!

The biggest difference. I think they are cleaner. They depend on reviews, so they better do a good job at keeping a clean place
Check you in. Not check on you. Many hosts meet guests at check in and certainly they see you if you share a space. We have had to go let guests into the house when they couldn't figure out how to use the keypad or they manually locked a door and then panicked and entered the wrong code too many times.

As a guest we have had hosts stop by with muffins, wine, etc. It's not uncommon to meet a host but it doesn't happen every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or