U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,222,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Fines for illegally renting in Vancouver are $1,000 per day. Our building has fined several owners. They can also be fined by the city for operating without the proper business license. Not exactly a slap on the wrist and shows how serious owners and the city is taking this.

The anger against Airbnb in cities that are lacking housing, is that it has grown out of control. When thousands of units that could be rented for long term residents are removed from the market.

It's also gone from individual owners to as you note, investors and not small time investors but corporations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/big...ions-1.5116103

Any owner that has not paid all fines by a condo board, will have a lien put on their property when they go to sell here.

So, although I agree it won't go away worldwide, there are a lot less listings for Vancouver now, and anyone thinking of renting a short term rental in Vancouver better check out it's legality first. As said, and as has happened, you could end up with no place to stay upon arrival.

As for vetting, yes renters are vetted. Employment and references for starters. Owners, well anyone can buy, and you can get a bad owner, but the odds are much less. One suite may have 3 owners over 15 years. That same suite could have potentially 780 different renters if each stayed one week. No thanks.

I don't know where you live, but when you live in a popular tourist destination as Vancouver, short term rentals are a REAL problem.
So you would rather not have any tourism in n your city? No short term rentals, ok. But what about valuable real estate being taken over by hotels or developers (a certain US blowhard comes to mind....he has a lot of hotels....) when it could be apartments? Are you against ALL tourism when there's a lack of housing options?

I'm seriously curious. When space is limited in a city that people want to visit, what is the solution? Let big corporations take over the scarce space an build hotels and tourist complexes or allow a few visitors to use the gym in your condo building for a few days?

I dunno but this whole "keep Airbnb guests out of my immediate vicinity! Those vermin with their suitcases!" seems like a deeper issue. Is it just tourists in general who are objectionable? My guests tend to be pretty fantastic.

And yes I know how liens work. And I know that they entail legal involvement to be enforced and that most condo associations won't immediately (or ever) go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,039,994 times
There are LOTS of legal solutions to above 'shortage/ lack of Housing options' ... (BTW- Air B&B <30 days per stay is not "Housing", it is 'lodging' and yes... Air B&B has displaced many residents, especially seniors who had lived in communities years. (sold, estates, priced out, couldn't take 'change' (gentrification) of their communities)

Not all is roses (in life). (except for those at the pig (opportunity) trough).
Stuff happens.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are LOTS of legal solutions to above 'shortage/ lack of Housing options' ... (BTW- Air B&B <30 days per stay is not "Housing", it is 'lodging' and yes... Air B&B has displaced many residents, especially seniors who had lived in communities years. (sold, estates, priced out, couldn't take 'change' (gentrification) of their communities)

Not all is roses (in life). (except for those at the pig (opportunity) trough).
Stuff happens.
Airbnb is not responsible for gentrifying areas! It's tourism. People love to travel. Not everyone wants to stay in a hotel. Again many have pointed out that you are beating a dead horse and clearly have a bone to pick with this type of stay. The vast majority of Airbnb is someone who is either taking in a guest on an extra room or someone who used to live in a location and is making it available short term to tourists. People have done this for ages before Airbnb existed and will continue to do so after this is rebranded as something else

Lodging laws vary from state to state. We are careful to ensure we only have guests. We are also landlords in multiple locations and wanted to try a different business model. And this is a legal model for us. We follow all jurisdictional rules.

Good luck with your hospitality stays. Please consider starting a thread about them to educate people instead of complaining about other options.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 AM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So you would rather not have any tourism in n your city? No short term rentals, ok. But what about valuable real estate being taken over by hotels or developers (a certain US blowhard comes to mind....he has a lot of hotels....) when it could be apartments? Are you against ALL tourism when there's a lack of housing options?

I'm seriously curious. When space is limited in a city that people want to visit, what is the solution? Let big corporations take over the scarce space an build hotels and tourist complexes or allow a few visitors to use the gym in your condo building for a few days?

I dunno but this whole "keep Airbnb guests out of my immediate vicinity! Those vermin with their suitcases!" seems like a deeper issue. Is it just tourists in general who are objectionable? My guests tend to be pretty fantastic.

And yes I know how liens work. And I know that they entail legal involvement to be enforced and that most condo associations won't immediately (or ever) go that route.
Oh please, it's not an either or. Tourism in Vancouver doesn't count on short term rentals. Tourism existed before Airbnb type rentals and it will exist afterwards.

Short term rentals are allowed in single family homes IF the person has the correct business license, and resides in the home. Legal B&B's as well.

On the topic of tourism, what good is visiting Vancouver, especially the downtown core where there thousands live in condo high -rises, if there are less and less Vancouverites living there? It becomes what?

Corporations do build hotels. No issue there.

Your hyperbole is showing. No where did I say that Airbnb guests are vermin and that I don't dislike tourists. In fact I have been a tourist all my life.

What I did say is that I as an owner, and we as owners have the right, and have done so, to forbid short term rentals since we are NOT a hotel, and do not care to live in one.

The city and others, have seen this as an issue and have addressed it. The city welcomes tourists, but it's PRIMARY concern is that of it's CITIZENS.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Oh please, it's not an either or. Tourism in Vancouver doesn't count on short term rentals. Tourism existed before Airbnb type rentals and it will exist afterwards.

Short term rentals are allowed in single family homes IF the person has the correct business license, and resides in the home. Legal B&B's as well.

On the topic of tourism, what good is visiting Vancouver, especially the downtown core where there thousands live in condo high -rises, if there are less and less Vancouverites living there? It becomes what?

Corporations do build hotels. No issue there.

Your hyperbole is showing. No where did I say that Airbnb guests are vermin and that I don't dislike tourists. In fact I have been a tourist all my life.

What I did say is that I as an owner, and we as owners have the right, and have done so, to forbid short term rentals since we are NOT a hotel, and do not care to live in one.

The city and others, have seen this as an issue and have addressed it. The city welcomes tourists, but it's PRIMARY concern is that of it's CITIZENS.
Wondering if you have ever been to Paris.... but I digress.

The point is that you want to control who is in your building. Who your neighbors are. Ain't gonna happen. Doesn't matter if it's a guest or a resident. The only way to ensure this is not to live in such close proximity to neighbors. And even still someone could buy land adjoining yours and build a house that blocks your view and throw parties all the time. There's no guarantee that your neighbors won't have kids who are noisy of they have always been quiet, won't move in an elderly parent who gets confused and stands in the lobby, won't hook up with a boyfriend who uses your condo gym when he stays over. None of these can you guard against. No city council can make enough rules to prevent any of this from happening

This is not the topic of the thread. And as stated, travelers can find information on any issues with Airbnb conveniently on that website. Yes, they should take a look.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,969,245 times
Civilized countries have laws for a reason. I do not want the house next door to me turned into a hotel, flop house, commercial metal shop, pizza kitchen, etc. I prefer to have neighbors that own their house. We all know each other, do each other favors, and collectively watch out for suspicious activity in the area. That's the situation I have today, and I prefer that it stays this way.

IMO, it is past the time for zoning authorities to spell out exactly where nightly rentals are allowed. I feel there are areas where it should be permissible, but it should be explicitly allowed or disallowed so that people who are purchasing property or leasing for long-term use can make an informed decision.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Civilized countries have laws for a reason. I do not want the house next door to me turned into a hotel, flop house, commercial metal shop, pizza kitchen, etc. I prefer to have neighbors that own their house. We all know each other, do each other favors, and collectively watch out for suspicious activity in the area. That's the situation I have today, and I prefer that it stays this way.

IMO, it is past the time for zoning authorities to spell out exactly where nightly rentals are allowed. I feel there are areas where it should be permissible, but it should be explicitly allowed or disallowed so that people who are purchasing property or leasing for long-term use can make an informed decision.
Zoning isn't the topic at hand....

Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM

8,329 posts, read 6,193,273 times
I'm not against Air BNB's and I'll often stay in one. My experience has been pleasant most all the time.
Quote:
I lived in two co ops in my life.... both in major US cities. Both with restrictions on renting out the units. In both cases my neighbors rented their units illegally. One was an artist who traveled to paint at different times of the year. The other was a professor who lived overseas during the break from classes. There were short term tenants which were there by the boards standards, illegally. But even in a very restrictive form of communal ownership it's is very difficult and expensive to enforce who does what with their space. When special assessments were done to the building both neighbors paid their share. That was the bottom line...the building got the money it needed from me owners. In one instance I heard about a fine levied for renting illegally but I am not sure if it was ever paid or went beyond a slap on the wrist. When elevators need replacing and your share is in the 5 digits it's more important that the building gets your money than bothers your summer guests.

As for vetting, as I said, Airbnb allows hosts to vet. But do you get to vet the people who buy into your condo building? Can you prefer a certain type or income level? I highly doubt you have any control over who other owners might be. And they could literally be there forever. Not just a day or two.

Again Airbnb does not keep any of this a secret. When you book there is a link to the places where you might encounter any issues. Both hosts and guests have access to this information. Our properties span different locations and one is in a city where we have had to register and taxes are levied on the rental. It's not problem. That particular rental is in an oceanfront condo. It's one of several in the building. There are long term residents and short term. The bylaws state that "permission must be granted" to rent but there's no teeth to grant or not grant permission so long as one has a city permit. The board could complain but the city supercedes this. And in that location people are quite used to vacationers. If a city wanted to tax this income like a hotel I don't see anything wrong with it. Once it's regulated it's not going anywhere so long as it's generating tax dollars. So I don't see "cracking down" as a sign this is going away. Quite the contrary. In fact I was just looking at a real estate listing that was advertised as "perfect for your Airbnb!" People are starting to notice this as a valid way to invest.

There's a lot of anger and fear about Airbnb on this thread. I'm not sure I understand why. As a host and a guest I have found the experience to be very enjoyable and positive overall. I think people may not fully embrace this model because of their own preferences and that's an individual prerogative. Like anything new there resistant people out there. But there are also a lot of assumptions that just aren't true about how this all works, many of which are not based in the rules and regulations of Airbnb itself.
As a neighbor to a former AirBnB, I understand why neighbors have a NIMBY attitude.

Guests that are on vacation are more likely to be noisy, etc, since they're on vacation and not working in the AM. That isn't to say that the guy two doors down will always be quiet on Wednesday nights, but its a lot more likely, and you are less likely to have to repeat your desire that he keep it down, since its always the same guy.

It isn't a fear that the guest of the AirBNB molests guinea-pigs, so much as it is that if you don't know who these strangers are that come in and out of the building.

There's no guarantee that you're neighbors aren't thieves, but they have a lot less turnover than an STR and they don't have the reality of being confronted since they have to come home again and again.

Let me put it this way. If you bought a house, and your neighbor started buying up non-running cars, and fixing them and reselling them, and parking them on the yard and on the street, you might be a bit perturbed. After all, you bought a house in a neighborhood, not a business district. You expected quiet, not customers coming all hours to test drive cars. The house wasn't zoned for that commercial use. You'd be rightly quite irate.

Similarly, one doesn't expect to live in a hotel when they buy a Condo or home or townhome. The comings and goings, the lack of accountability between, the transient nature of it all, is irritating to some people.

I get it.

FWIW, the concept of AirBNB isn't all that new. It mostly brought a business model that required a certain consistent volume of tourists (Beach towns, ski areas, cabin towns in the midwest) to areas that do have a lot of travellers and tourists but not at the same capacity.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Quote:
Wondering if you have ever been to Paris.... but I digress.

The point is that you want to control who is in your building. Who your neighbors are. Ain't gonna happen. Doesn't matter if it's a guest or a resident. The only way to ensure this is not to live in such close proximity to neighbors. And even still someone could buy land adjoining yours and build a house that blocks your view and throw parties all the time. There's no guarantee that your neighbors won't have kids who are noisy of they have always been quiet, won't move in an elderly parent who gets confused and stands in the lobby, won't hook up with a boyfriend who uses your condo gym when he stays over. None of these can you guard against. No city council can make enough rules to prevent any of this from happening

This is not the topic of the thread. And as stated, travelers can find information on any issues with Airbnb conveniently on that website. Yes, they should take a look.
Not sure why you are asking, but yes I've been to Paris many times in my 13 visits to France. I stay in hotels.

Airbnb guests aren't neighbours, anymore than the people staying at the hotel down the street are. Neighbours in my building stay around longer. Some I've known for 20 years.

The point is that we CAN and have control of OUR building. The owners voted overwhelmingly to ban short term rentals. We also haver rules on pets, on gym hours, on parkade restrictions, and noise by-laws.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Let's get this thread back on track. The topic is about what people misunderstand about staying in an Airbnb and not how upsetting it us to have vacationers staying in your building, the evils of anything other than whatever obscure home stay thing Stealthrabbit prefers, gentrifying neighborhoods, zoning or anything else. It's not a thread to debate the merits of a hotel vs Airbnb. It's not a thread to complain about what hours people keep on vacation. All of these are perfectly valid debates but again, this is not the thread to debate there things in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or