Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM

27,296 posts, read 28,366,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
For starters, Americans in general are restricted to some degree. There are places you just cannot visit on a US passport.
I doubt anybody in America is in much of a hurry to visit North Korea anytime soon.

Leave it to weirdos like Dennis Rodman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,013,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
I have two beautiful hand carved mahogany wood chess sets and a hand carved drum made from lion's skin.

I also want to visit Italy, but I've heard it's not a good place to visit if you are a black woman, because most of the locals think that any black woman is a prostitute, due to the Nigerian sex trafficking rings throughout Italy and Spain.
This is so offensive, I hope you refrain from purchasing more items like this and maybe not brag about it.

As far as black women in Italy as prostitutes, this is bunk.

I've pretty much globe trotted solo as a woman and never had a problem. However, I avoid places I know there is a high probability of trouble.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM

601 posts, read 452,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Kind of, though I'm of a different demographic than yourself. I'm married, Asian American man. I've been to China several time with my wife, who's from there, and it made me realize that I'd probably never travel solo there. The main thing is the language barrier and the people in general. I think if I were any other race than asian it wouldn't be a problem, but since I look like a native they assume I speak their language, which is a reasonable assumption. The hardest part is that most people won't try to understand me or even have some kind of animosity towards me because I'm an Asian who can't speak their language. It's hard to even ask for directions, order food, or pretty much anything even in major cities. Now if I were white, or even black like yourself I'm sure I'd have a much easier time and people would be much more helpful. It's kind of sad when people are so closed minded and racist they can't accept people for who they are. I even got into a physical fight in China when someone tried to make trouble to me and my wife. Won't go into details but he definitely had some kind of problem with me for who I was as opposed to anything I did. I'm one who doesn't put up with much BS so I just did what I had to do.
Are you Chinese-American? I guess it makes sense that most Chinese aren't used to encountering ethnic Chinese who don't speak their language. But of course Koreans and Japanese travel to China all the time and don't speak Mandarin.

Even as a white guy, I probably wouldn't want to travel without a group in China just because of the huge language barrier. It's not like Europe where English is so commonly used as a lingua franca.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM

50,044 posts, read 63,394,930 times
I’m restricted on my travel choices by my budget. The only restricted place I’d care to travel to is Cuba, although there are ways to go there if I could afford it.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I doubt anybody in America is in much of a hurry to visit North Korea anytime soon.

I'd tend to disagree with you. I fully intend on visiting when Orange Face is forced to depart.

I just returned from Cuba and it was a wonderful place to visit.

Don't let your leaders play benevolent father with your citizens. If we're truly free, we wouldn't have ignorant travel bans for our own citizens.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'd tend to disagree with you. I fully intend on visiting when Orange Face is forced to depart.

Don't let your leaders play benevolent father with your citizens. If we're truly free, we wouldn't have ignorant travel bans for our own citizens.
I travel all over the world. There are very few countries that American citizens are restricted from traveling to.

WTF does our President have to do with where you're traveling?

They are all rogue countries that almost nobody cares about. North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, Venezuela. No thanks, I will pass.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post

I would like to go to NK as well. I find it so intriguing, the fact that it is so mysterious to me makes me want to go.

I have read about people who have gone. There are organized tours from Beijing. I am sure they only show you a small part of the country though.

Still, wildly fascinating. I'd like to go to Cuba too.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe/maybe not but just our passports alone do restrict us to a small degree.

We have a very powerful passport but there are other countries that allow its citizens to see a lot more. I believe Canada is one.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Maybe/maybe not but just our passports alone do restrict us to a small degree.

We have a very powerful passport but there are other countries that allow its citizens to see a lot more. I believe Canada is one.
I have to see evidence of that. From what I recall, a U.S. passport allows you access to the greatest number of countries in the world.

Out of 194 countries in the world, if 3 or 4 rogue countries don't allow me in, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. lol

Also, a passport allows you to leave the country. A visa is actually what is required to enter most other countries.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I have to see evidence of that.

From what I recall, a U.S. passport allows you access to the greatest number of countries in the world.

With 194 countries in the world, if 3 or 4 rogue countries don't allow me in, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. lol
World's most powerful passports for 2019 named

It's on the internet so who knows its validity (b/c I'm a French model sooo…) but Japan is supposedly the most powerful.

Japan 190 countries visa-free
Singapore, South Korea 189
France, Germany 188
Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden 187
Luxembourg, Spain 186
Austria, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States 185
Belgium, Canada, Greece, Ireland 184
Czech Republic 183
Malta 182
Australia, Iceland, New Zealand 181
Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia 180
Estonia, Malaysia 179
Liechtenstein 178
Chile 175
Monaco, Poland 174
Cyprus 173
Brazil 171
Argentina 170
Bulgaria, Hong Kong (SAR China), Romania 169
Andorra, Croatia, San Marino 168
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel