Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:40 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
There's no restriction, it's just not visa-free.

All you need to apply for a tourist visa which is valid up to 10 years I believe.
Yes, I think you have to apply for a visa to visit most non-western countries from the United States.

I have a lifetime visa to India called an OCI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 03:45 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not about to translate this puppy, lol but the pictures seem like they are given a lot more access than Americans are.
Maybe that blogger happened to be an amateur photographer who cared to take pictures of everything.

Judging from the pictures, the food was pretty good but the bed didn't look comfortable.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Maybe that blogger happened to be an amateur photographer who cared to take pictures of everything.

Judging from the pictures, the food was pretty good but the bed didn't look comfortable.
Yes i thought that as well about the food. Looks so good

You arent supposed to take pictures of ppl out on the street

Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
The people specified by the OP can go anywhere if they want to. They just probably avoid some places if traveling for their personal enjoyment. I know I do. Won't see me visiting Disney World.

In my travels I avoid layovers in states where no smoking in hotels is the law. For the same reason I don't fly unless I absolutely have to. I'm a full grown boy. If I feel like smoking a ciggie its nobody's effing business - and, so far, I still have a choice in the matter.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-07-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
For starters, Americans in general are restricted to some degree. There are places you just cannot visit on a US passport.

I don't think there is a single country now that admits EU but not Americans, but Iranian visas are more restrictive. In the past, I'v been denied visas to Iraq and Somalia, which were no problem for my Canadian wife. There are a few countries where Americans need visa and EU do not, but the visa is easy to get.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Please explain your position.

Unless you perform intimate or sexual acts in public, there is no way for anyone to know your sexual orientation. Nobody will even care.

Homosexuality or heterosexuality is not a racial, ethnic or national identification.
Yet for some of us gay men, people seem to figure it out fast. Straight appearing doesn't describe us all. And we then are identified as a group. It is a label that then restricts my traveling to many places. As for that nobody will even care, that cannot be said about Russia, or many Islamic nations. You are aware of how gays just living their lives are treated in Russia? Russia is a country I would have liked to have visited. Not now.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Yet for some of us gay men, people seem to figure it out fast. Straight appearing doesn't describe us all. And we then are identified as a group. It is a label that then restricts my traveling to many places. As for that nobody will even care, that cannot be said about Russia, or many Islamic nations. You are aware of how gays just living their lives are treated in Russia? Russia is a country I would have liked to have visited. Not now.
Yes, I am aware that people who have been living in a country for many years may be known to be homosexual. They may not be in such a good position depending on the norms of the country in question.

However, when a traveler enters a foreign country, it is practically impossible to tell if they are homosexual. Most people assume that you are heterosexual, because that is what the vast majority of humankind is. So, unless you make it very obvious to people that you are not heterosexual, there is no way for them to know.

Even then, people might assume you are doing it to be humorous or just pretending. That is what Japanese tourists assumed many years ago when they first visited San Francisco. They thought this can’t be for real.

Most people are excited to have any foreigners visit their country. They could care less if you are a homosexual like Freddie Mercury or not. That is the last thing on their minds. People view you as special just by virtue of the fact that you are able to travel to their country. It is a really big deal to them.

In some countries and cultures - particularly non-western - it is perfectly normal for men to embrace each other, kiss each other on the cheek, walk with their arms around each other, etc., without them being the least bit homosexual. These are just signs of friendliness and male bonding.

This is the point I was trying to make. Nobody will know or care that you are homosexual unless you go around performing sexual acts with people.

Your sexual orientation is just not that noticeable or important to most people. It is a far bigger deal in America for social and political reasons than it is in the rest of the world.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-07-2019 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Are you Chinese-American? I guess it makes sense that most Chinese aren't used to encountering ethnic Chinese who don't speak their language. But of course Koreans and Japanese travel to China all the time and don't speak Mandarin.

Even as a white guy, I probably wouldn't want to travel without a group in China just because of the huge language barrier. It's not like Europe where English is so commonly used as a lingua franca.
Not Chinese-American but another Asian ethnicity. I don't mind people thinking I'm a native, I do mind the hostility I've faced when speaking English. I think as a white guy you'd be fine. If you ask most people would be eager to help you if they can, unlike myself. Even if I ask I feel most don't want to help me. Also you'll stand out so people will automatically assume you speak English and some may even try to talk to you in English. It could be challenging outside the major cities, but not nearly as challenging as my experience.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Not Chinese-American but another Asian ethnicity. I don't mind people thinking I'm a native, I do mind the hostility I've faced when speaking English. I think as a white guy you'd be fine. If you ask most people would be eager to help you if they can, unlike myself. Even if I ask I feel most don't want to help me. Also you'll stand out so people will automatically assume you speak English and some may even try to talk to you in English. It could be challenging outside the major cities, but not nearly as challenging as my experience.
I'm sorry for your experience but it sounds very unusual.

Without knowing the details from both sides, it's hard to say what caused your negative experience, I doubt it has anything to do with speaking English. Given that your wife speaks the language, you shouldn't need to worry about the language barrier. You also didn't really try to ask for help from locals who actually speak English, but you just "feel" they won't help you.

While the Chinese are not known to be considerate, full-blown conflicts are rather rare. There is a lot of Japanese living in Shanghai who don't speak much Mandarin and they are doing just fine.

To be honest, being Asian isn't really a bad thing as a tourist. Standing out doesn't only attract help but also street vendors trying to sell you stuff you don't want.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
My travel restrictions are different, they revolve around Smoking!

When Bloomberg did away with smoking in public parks and office plaza's, and no smoking within X number of feet of a restaurant, bar, hotel lobby, my NYC traveling days are over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel