U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:51 PM

81 posts, read 16,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
Have you tried contacting her directly via email (or by phone)? If you haven't, reach out to her. Express that you are sorry for any misunderstanding and state what you've mentioned in the aforementioned post. Also, ask that she consider deleting the negative comments, because you enjoy using Air BNB and are concerned that her negative review may impact your future bookings.

If she's reasonable, she will delete the post.

I don't use Air BNB, but I had an online encounter (regarding another issue altogether) which resulted in me having to hire an attorney. It all worked out in the end, but it's always best to first try to deal with the entity causing the difficulty, before going the legal route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 PM

5,408 posts, read 2,333,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You don't know if you peed on the toilet seat and floor. Seriously?

If you quoted her review verbatim, she just sounds like a crank who doesn't really want to put up with guests. If all your other reviews are good, I don't think that one will hurt you.

Although, nobody wants to mop up your urine, so that was rather rude of you, and I would have been irritated with you, too.
This.

Its nasty. Especially if it's not your home. Shudder.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
If you are a good guest who uses common courtesy there should never be fear if a review. No one is "rating" you. They are simply letting the community know if you are the kind of normal adult who is courteous and respectful. Hotels have deep pockets for repairs. Individual hosts might not. If you trash the beach house that my grandfather built with his own two hands it's going to be difficult to replace the hand carved stair railings. Trash a room at La Quinta? They have extra bedspreads in storage and a handyman who can paint the walls beige again. Reviews give hosts a heads up if a guest isn't a good fit

I will agree that staying with a host in their space strikes me as uncomfortable. But I am an introvert and need my alone time. Lots of people really seem to enjoy these kinds of stays. Thus particular guest should probably have more private space
Why are you renting out a hand-built beach house with hand-carved railings to strangers? This is putting something purportedly irreplaceable in the hands of unsupervised guests.

And we all know not all calls to the "how's my driving?" stickers are just honest people looking to provide honest feedback. Airbnb comments about the host are withheld in hopes of comments about the guest being withheld in an unspoken, gentlemen's agreement after a terse interaction or misunderstanding. It doesn't incentivize true feedback without being colored by the fear of retaliation.

It's a broken system. It expects people to resolve their own problems while Airbnb collects a service fee regardless of good experience, bad experience, or cancellation. I'll gladly pay more for a transaction where I'm always right in misunderstandings and anything we don't see eye-to-eye on will be quickly resolved with a charge dispute on my credit card.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:31 PM

81 posts, read 16,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

Its nasty. Especially if it's not your home. Shudder.
If he actually left urine on the toilet and floor, that was indeed very nasty and inconsiderate.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:52 PM

12,548 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This. Is. Why. I. Stay. In. Hotels.

They can't rate you.
Hotels rate you as a guest. You just don't get to see what the hotel staff says about you.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaSeo View Post
Well, most men are clueless as to what constitutes a clean bathroom. They never think of the splashback that comes from urinating while standing up. The host might have been a clean freak and you just irritated her by doing that.
Maybe most men you know, but not most men in general.

Gross that you think such behavior is normal.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hotels rate you as a guest. You just don't get to see what the hotel staff says about you.
Well I haven't been banned yet!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Well I haven't been banned yet!
Neither was the OP...

Old 05-05-2019, 09:36 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Quote:
Why are you renting out a hand-built beach house with hand-carved railings to strangers? This is putting something purportedly irreplaceable in the hands of unsupervised guests.

And we all know not all calls to the "how's my driving?" stickers are just honest people looking to provide honest feedback. Airbnb comments about the host are withheld in hopes of comments about the guest being withheld in an unspoken, gentlemen's agreement after a terse interaction or misunderstanding. It doesn't incentivize true feedback without being colored by the fear of retaliation.

It's a broken system. It expects people to resolve their own problems while Airbnb collects a service fee regardless of good experience, bad experience, or cancellation. I'll gladly pay more for a transaction where I'm always right in misunderstandings and anything we don't see eye-to-eye on will be quickly resolved with a charge dispute on my credit card.
I don't think you know how it works on Airbnb....

You can't see what anyone writes about you until you leave your own review. If you drop below a certain percentage of reviews you lose your superhost status so its in your best interest to leave reviews and get them. You are also asked as a host if you would like to host the person again. It's confidential. The guest never knows your answer no matter what your review says. You also have the option to give the guests private messages and file disputes for damages just like a hotel.

It's far less a tit for tat system than say eBay where a seller might put up with a lot of shenanigans to get a good review. There is no fear of retaliation because no one sees any reviews until both are complete. And you only have a short period of time (14 days) to write reviews.

Likewise you can prescreen guests if you want. They will need to contact you prior to booking and you have to okay them. Reviews come in very handy in this case. We don't do that but Airbnb gives you that option. That's why the OP is concerned about the review. He might get turned away elsewhere. But he can publicly respond to this review.

We live in a world where everyone and everything has a star rating attached to it. Like it or not, it exists.

And my beach house example was merely an illustration. Most people who rent space are not investing in commercial property in order to participate in Airbnb. It's their home or vacation spot. There's history and some emotional attachment in most cases. Things get broken. You need to have nice enough stuff to attract guests....see the comments on my thread about shoddy towels and bedding. People want quality finishes and luxurious items. But yet if your space is well appointed it does add a layer of worry about replacing the attractive things people ruin. So you do well to have higher end appointment's but are at the same time called foolish for doing so.

No one is forcing anyone to rent an Airbnb. But a large percentage of travelers do enjoy them. So it's not really the point to argue about their uselessness.

Last edited by emotiioo; 05-05-2019 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 12:03 AM

6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
I don't stay at airbnbs, but it seems to me that if you have other good reviews, one not so good one isn't so bad. The review itself isn't that bad. Bad would be: he's rude, unpleasant, his credit card wasn't good, he partied all night, he was drunk the whole time....

When I read reviews on anything, I know that some will be bad, because people are that way. People who rent rooms to others probably know that when you deal with the public, there will be some who won't be happy, no matter what. The same is true with hosts. Some hosts will just be difficult, or maybe just didn't get on with a guest.

I would respond like your post here, by saying you made every attempt to be quiet at night, even in closing the door. That you didn't play loud music or do activities in your room that made noise. And that you wish she had said if there was something in particular noise-wise that irritated her, so you would have known. That you didn't intentionally leave the bathroom dirty or in disarray, so you are sorry if she found it that way.

And leave it at that. UNLESS there were others staying there, and they could have been the source of the noise and messy bathroom. You weren't clear on that. If there were, and if you don't think it was you, say so.

Is it less expensive to stay at an airbnb? Is that why people stay at such places? I'd prefer a hotel, with my own tv with cable, I know what beds and linens to expect, and I'm left in peace to come and go.

If a host is that sensitive to noise at night, or her BR is that close to the guest's, I don't know why she's in that business. People should be free to stay up late in their rooms to watch tv or listen to the radio and read, if they want (unless there are rules against it). I would think a host would expect a reasonable amount of disarray in the bathroom, as well. Altho not a messy toilet, which is going too far.

Last edited by bpollen; 05-06-2019 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or