U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 AM

10,178 posts, read 12,231,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!

This would be a classic Seinfeld episode (you would have to be George).

Jerry: What is the deal with all the noise!
Elaine: Eeew why did you pee all over the place
Kramer: You should change your screen name to PissMan (a play on his azzman license plate episode)

I would just start a new Airbb account if you are that worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 AM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hotels rate you as a guest. You just don't get to see what the hotel staff says about you.
I doesn't affect your ability to book future stays.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 AM

7,056 posts, read 1,773,412 times
Seems to me if someone is going to rent out a room in their home while working a full time job and needing to get up early should expect to have some sleep disruptions by those renting out the room while on vacation. As an AIRBNB host you can block out days if your work schedule would be effected by guests.

However there is no excuse for not cleaning up after yourself. I am a guy who can be a bit of a slob at home but I am hypersensitive to do the right thing when I am a guest in someone else's home.

I think both parties to this are being a bit unreasonable.

Other thing to always do is wait until the host leaves a review before leaving yours. Keeps you in control of the situation.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Seems to me if someone is going to rent out a room in their home while working a full time job and needing to get up early should expect to have some sleep disruptions by those renting out the room while on vacation. As an AIRBNB host you can block out days if your work schedule would be effected by guests.

However there is no excuse for not cleaning up after yourself. I am a guy who can be a bit of a slob at home but I am hypersensitive to do the right thing when I am a guest in someone else's home.

I think both parties to this are being a bit unreasonable.

Other thing to always do is wait until the host leaves a review before leaving yours. Keeps you in control of the situation.
How does it? You can't see what the host writes about you until you leave yours

I don't know if a lot of people understand this but here is what happens. After your stay you get a reminder to leave a review. You have 14 days to do so. The host gets the same reminder. If one person goes first the other gets a message that so and so left a review but you can't see the content. If you write your review then both are unlocked. You could have left a glowing review and your hosts didn't as in the OP. There is no way to get "control" as you can't see anything until both reviews are complete.

If you don't leave a review and your hosts do it goes live at the end of the 14 day period. You can't do anything about it at that point in time or retaliate if it's bad because time is up. It sits there on your profile until you get enough reviews from others that it sinking to the bottom.

Most guests only have a few reviews each. Hosts have many many more on average. So one bad review can scare a potential host.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I don't think you know how it works on Airbnb....

You can't see what anyone writes about you until you leave your own review. If you drop below a certain percentage of reviews you lose your superhost status so its in your best interest to leave reviews and get them. You are also asked as a host if you would like to host the person again. It's confidential. The guest never knows your answer no matter what your review says. You also have the option to give the guests private messages and file disputes for damages just like a hotel.

It's far less a tit for tat system than say eBay where a seller might put up with a lot of shenanigans to get a good review. There is no fear of retaliation because no one sees any reviews until both are complete. And you only have a short period of time (14 days) to write reviews.

Likewise you can prescreen guests if you want. They will need to contact you prior to booking and you have to okay them. Reviews come in very handy in this case. We don't do that but Airbnb gives you that option. That's why the OP is concerned about the review. He might get turned away elsewhere. But he can publicly respond to this review.

We live in a world where everyone and everything has a star rating attached to it. Like it or not, it exists.

And my beach house example was merely an illustration. Most people who rent space are not investing in commercial property in order to participate in Airbnb. It's their home or vacation spot. There's history and some emotional attachment in most cases. Things get broken. You need to have nice enough stuff to attract guests....see the comments on my thread about shoddy towels and bedding. People want quality finishes and luxurious items. But yet if your space is well appointed it does add a layer of worry about replacing the attractive things people ruin. So you do well to have higher end appointment's but are at the same time called foolish for doing so.

No one is forcing anyone to rent an Airbnb. But a large percentage of travelers do enjoy them. So it's not really the point to argue about their uselessness.
I'm learning a few things here...

1. So in addition to the comments the host leaves that I can see, there are hidden comments they leave that I cannot see, that are visible to only other hosts?

2. I recall that I cannot see a host's guest-facing feedback until I leave the host a review. I imagine this means that I can never see this feedback if I don't leave any myself. I believe it's geared like that, and not the reverse, to be biased towards the host. I have read reviews for hosts and noticed a consistent pattern where good reviews are left alone, and bad reviews get replies by the host trying to blame the bad experience on the guest.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Going on a tangent...

Star ratings, while useful as a general snapshot when there is a sample of several dozen or more, can be very polarizing when using a handful of ratings as feedback. This can be in either direction, host > guest, or guest > host. Some people default to rating 5/5 unless something went terribly wrong. Some people default to rating 3/5, will vote 4/5 a few times in their lifetime, and never 5/5. It's like getting Simon Cowell to give you a 10. The person or entity providing feedback is so stingy, it's almost as if they're reserving the rating for themselves, as if that were an option!

There should be a universal understanding of merit. Accolades, by nature, are distributed to a select few with a high profile, but there is no scarcity for handing out star ratings. If you have 10 hotel experiences that are all 5 starts, it should be generally accepted that 10 five-star ratings can and should be given. There is no forced rationing of reviews, as with some large companies "you can only give out one 5, three 4's, ten 3's..."

Bringing it back around now...

It would be helpful to set detailed expectations in a listing, ESPECIALLY if the host will be residing in the home on nights overlapping the guest's stay. A sentence or two should sum up the expectations during the stay and after departure:

"I expect my guests to leave the space as if they were preparing it for the next guest - put on new bedding and start a load of laundry before they leave".

"I expect my guests to have all trash put in the main bin in the kitchen and pile ALL used linens and towels on the bathroom floor".

-----------------------

Or be more candid and let guests see what you're really like:

"I can't sleep with doors opening all hours of the night - guests need to be locked away in their rooms by 10 PM, like children, until I wake up. If you get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, I will mention it on my review of your stay."

"I am renting out my house because I need money, but I really don't like the idea of having guests in my home. I will become irritable if I hear you make a phone call while I am sitting at the breakfast table with my family, or you show any other signs of existing while I am home."

Last edited by ddm2k; 05-06-2019 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
I guess you can leave your own review of the place, & maybe stay in a hotel or motel next time. I do not see the advantage of airbnb anyhow, unless it is for an extended stay. They seem to be trendy nowadays.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm learning a few things here...

1. So in addition to the comments the host leaves that I can see, there are hidden comments they leave that I cannot see, that are visible to only other hosts?

2. I recall that I cannot see a host's guest-facing feedback until I leave the host a review. I imagine this means that I can never see this feedback if I don't leave any myself. I believe it's geared like that, and not the reverse, to be biased towards the host. I have read reviews for hosts and noticed a consistent pattern where good reviews are left alone, and bad reviews get replies by the host trying to blame the bad experience on the guest.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Going on a tangent...

Star ratings, while useful as a general snapshot when there is a sample of several dozen or more, can be very polarizing when using a handful of ratings as feedback. This can be in either direction, host > guest, or guest > host. Some people default to rating 5/5 unless something went terribly wrong. Some people default to rating 3/5, will vote 4/5 a few times in their lifetime, and never 5/5. It's like getting Simon Cowell to give you a 10. The person or entity providing feedback is so stingy, it's almost as if they're reserving the rating for themselves, as if that were an option!

There should be a universal understanding of merit. Accolades, by nature, are distributed to a select few with a high profile, but there is no scarcity for handing out star ratings. If you have 10 hotel experiences that are all 5 starts, it should be generally accepted that 10 five-star ratings can and should be given. There is no forced rationing of reviews, as with some large companies "you can only give out one 5, three 4's, ten 3's..."

Bringing it back around now...

It would be helpful to set detailed expectations in a listing, ESPECIALLY if the host will be residing in the home on nights overlapping the guest's stay. A sentence or two should sum up the expectations during the stay and after departure:

"I expect my guests to leave the space as if they were preparing it for the next guest - put on new bedding and start a load of laundry before they leave".

"I expect my guests to have all trash put in the main bin in the kitchen and pile ALL used linens and towels on the bathroom floor".

-----------------------

Or be more candid and let guests see what you're really like:

"I can't sleep with doors opening all hours of the night - guests need to be locked away in their rooms by 10 PM, like children, until I wake up. If you get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, I will mention it on my review of your stay."

"I am renting out my house because I need money, but I really don't like the idea of having guests in my home. I will become irritable if I hear you make a phone call while I am sitting at the breakfast table with my family, or you show any other signs of existing while I am home."
Your private information on a guest as a host only goes to Airbnb admin. With over 300 stays we have only had a handful of guests we would not be interested in hosting again. These were individuals who broke items and didn't report it, lied about the number of people staying or did damage to the property. Our reviews were professional but reflected our experience as hosts. We never heard from any of these guests again nor did they ever show up on our reservation list. We did not bad-mouth them to other hosts. We did answer confidential questions and say we didn't want them back. I would imagine our listings won't show up in their searches.

If you leave a review and your guests or host don't you can see it after 14 days.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM

633 posts, read 238,000 times
I'm gonna have to say this is either an unfortunate anomaly with a crappy host or OP really was that inconsiderate. I've stayed at Airbnb listings of all different types - entire home to ourselves, shared bathroom, etc. Haven't had much of an issue over the course of roughly 50 stays so far in the past few years, except for one negative experience (not related to OP). Don't treat it like you'd treat a hotel room and respect the place like it's your own home - it's not that hard.

Quote:
This. Is. Why. I. Stay. In. Hotels.

They can't rate you. And it's quite literally their job to pick up after you. I don't go on vacation to do all my normal household chores.
Can't say I've ever had a host expect me to do household chores. Abstaining from peeing on a toilet seat (or cleaning up after if it does happen) is not a "chore" LOL.

Quote:
They also get paid to bring me room service if I want a steak at 4 AM. (Which I've done close to that - it was midnight).
LMAO good lawdy what type of first world problem is that? If I want drunk food, I'll hit up one of the hot dog carts that hangs out by the bars/clubs.

Quote:
Get rid of this Airbnb crap staying in a stranger's home. Why are the hosts renting out a house that they live in and sharing bathrooms when they need unfettered availability to it at scheduled times? Doesn't sound like much of a vacation for you!
Because they feel like making money on an extra room? Why do you care, if you don't want to use it? Hate to burst your bubble, but Airbnb isn't going away anytime soon. Spending a buttload of money on an overpriced hotel room doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me .

Quote:
You have hosts renting out their homes not knowing what they're about to get themselves into. They think they're solving the problem by rating every guest poorly or giving you 3 pages of "House Rules".
I've yet to see an exorbitant amount of house rules. What exists pretty much boils down to "be decent and respectful". How is that such a difficult mindset to navigate?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,158,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!

Maybe your aim was a little off there.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM

6,169 posts, read 2,849,330 times
Quote:
Well I haven't been banned yet!
Nah, we have other means to "walk you" to another facilty that tolerates your habits.

We don't leave the light on for some difficult and inconsiderate guest.

The hotel industry doesn't have money pouring out its pockets to clean up some of these guests. It actually leaves a domino effect for the next guest . They will find one water droplet on a mirror (and yes this has happened) and suddenly they want comp'd. Or the guest who let their kid have magic marker and ruined our wallpaper. No they didn't get charged.

I can clean bathroom and have little opinion on how well some aims or not. It's cleanable. Not world War three material. But decide to randomly heave ho in the dresser drawers...then yeah...your banned. That stench doesn't easily leave the wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or