U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 PM

4,417 posts, read 1,643,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know, as you already agreed that you MIGHT have soiled the toiled lid, and made noise during the night. It's not an excuse that the bathroom was dark when you used it (why didn't you turn the light on?), so you "might" have soiled the lid and the floor.
Also you might not notice that you made all the noise at night. Remember that every noise at night seems to be much louder than during the day.

I don't think that her job was to remind a grown man about basics related to use of the bathroom (was that a community bathroom??) or about being extra quiet at night while other guests tried to have uninterrupted rest. That is generally expected level of consideration when someone is sharing the house with others.
So, she wrote a review instead.

I don't think you should try to make the host sound like a liar...
So you think she did not charge a cleaning fee? That’s usually quite a significant amount and it does not justify a light dusting and a 2 minutes vacuum after the guest leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I know that people stay at Air B n B's to save money. I don't spend lavishly on trips. However, its never occurred to me to not stay in at least some modest hotel wherever I am.

The OP is pointing out the pitfalls of the whole Air B n B thing. You are probably dirtier and more of an inconvenience than you realize. Your host is probably less happy to host you than you imagine. Its a matter of perspective and how open people are to express themselves.
These days you hardly save any money, matter of fact you end up paying more to AirBnB if you are staying alone.
AirBnB could be cost effective if you are a party of 5 or more where a single room in a hotel won’t accomodate you all.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I would do a few things.

On your next stay anywhere I would be sure not to pee on the toilet seats.
I am much more careful in someone else's home to be 100% tidy. Rinse the sink behind yourself,
hang towels neat, leave the toilet area tidy.

When I left I would explain to the hosts that you would appreciate a review
if they thought you were a good guest, and explain the unfair one .
Do you get a refund of “cleaning fee” in return?

Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 AM

538 posts, read 284,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Maybe she disses all her customers. There are just some people in the world for whom the glass is always gonna be half empty.
Wondering about this too. I am assuming other reviews left by the host can be seen and is there a pattern?

Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 PM

5,463 posts, read 2,923,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I raised boys and let me tell you, they "miss" all the time and for some reason never seemed to mind. lol
I raised sons too. My husband had conversations with them---there were never, never any messes. Never any misses.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:52 AM

303 posts, read 325,491 times
OP here; I haven't gotten back to the thread because I was busy moving out of my apartment and back to the US. Anyway, I finally wrote a response to the host; here it is below.

Quote:
(Host), thank you for the feedback and I sincerely apologize for not being attentive in the bathroom - I did not intend to make a mess; I am normally very clean and attentive in the bathroom. For other hosts who may be reading this review, I am clarifying some of the things posted in this review. I stayed in (Host)'s apartment for three nights and not once did she take one moment of her time to let me know I was being too noisy during the night. If she had let me know, I would have made more of an effort to be as quiet as possible during the night to not disturb her. Even so, the noises I made were minor - I did not blast music, have parties or even any other guests over, nor did I even talk out loud while I was in the bedroom. The only noises I made were walking to and from the bathroom during the night and opening and closing the door - which the host even told me herself during my check in was difficult to securely close (to do so does make quite a bit of noise). I hope that the other reviews other hosts have left for me speak for themselves and that you are not discouraged from allowing me in your home. This particular experience is an anomaly and does not reflect my character as a guest.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,121,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Where did the idea come from, that it was acceptable for men to urinate from two feet away from the bowl

Why are toilets so low in the first place?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM

7,221 posts, read 12,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So you think she did not charge a cleaning fee? That’s usually quite a significant amount and it does not justify a light dusting and a 2 minutes vacuum after the guest leaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Do you get a refund of “cleaning fee” in return?
I'm confused, are you really saying that paying a cleaning fee means that you are entitled to be as dirty as you want to be -- INCLUDING peeing on the toilet seat and the floor instead of IN the toilet? Why not just take a dump wherever you're sitting? The 'cleaning fee" should take care of that, right?

I am astonished that anyone could defend the OP's admitted bathroom behavior. Gross, gross, gross.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM

12,630 posts, read 7,545,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Why are toilets so low in the first place?
Because not everyone is the same height...

Old 06-02-2019, 11:51 PM

118 posts, read 95,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaSeo View Post
Well, most men are clueless as to what constitutes a clean bathroom. They never think of the splashback that comes from urinating while standing up. The host might have been a clean freak and you just irritated her by doing that.
Urinating in a standard toilet just for #1 is also a waste of water. There are cleaner ways to do it (easy for guys) but those ways are illogically frowned on as unconventional. You can probably figure out what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or