Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.
I think the lesson in this is never rent a room, only rent a whole apartment.

There are people who are very lite sleepers. Every noise wakes them. These people shouldn't be Airbnb hosts. Using the bathroom at night, should never be an issue.

Right it off to experience and avoid renting a room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:06 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
In the future, stay in non-owner-occupied places until you build up some better reviews. This review should not bother the owners of such places. Personally I would never stay in a place where I was sharing a bathroom with anyone.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:36 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Personally I would never stay in a place where I was sharing a bathroom with anyone.
My thoughts too..No strangers at least.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
This. Is. Why. I. Stay. In. Hotels.

They can't rate you. And it's quite literally their job to pick up after you. I don't go on vacation to do all my normal household chores. They also get paid to bring me room service if I want a steak at 4 AM. (Which I've done close to that - it was midnight).

Get rid of this Airbnb crap staying in a stranger's home. Why are the hosts renting out a house that they live in and sharing bathrooms when they need unfettered availability to it at scheduled times? Doesn't sound like much of a vacation for you!

You have hosts renting out their homes not knowing what they're about to get themselves into. They think they're solving the problem by rating every guest poorly or giving you 3 pages of "House Rules".

Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
Was the owner staying with you while you were there? Not sure what to do about the review, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with such a situation. I much prefer a hotel unless it's a long-ish stay.

One of the nice things about vacation is not having to clean up after yourself, and having to share a bathroom with a stranger during vacation seems like a lot to ask.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
I would do a few things.

On your next stay anywhere I would be sure not to pee on the toilet seats.
I am much more careful in someone else's home to be 100% tidy. Rinse the sink behind yourself,
hang towels neat, leave the toilet area tidy.

When I left I would explain to the hosts that you would appreciate a review
if they thought you were a good guest, and explain the unfair one .

Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Ha, since I’m German, my mother made sure I sit during toilet use, I still practice this behavior. As a youth I did like to write my name in the snow.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Need to add that her review was very mild and civil, regardless.
She could write something more nasty that you were inconsiderate and not welcome in the future. That would be more likely a reason to feel "shocked and insulted"...
I disagree. This host ranted like a teen. A diplomatic and business style would have been outlined prior to tenancy. He was a paying guest. Any host would be more civil. Unless you connotate civil with this hosts persnickety dribble. She bashed him. So in my opinion...that's neither civil nor polite.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
OP, as an Airbnb host I would not leave a review like that. I do think there's probably something to it, and that it might behoove you to be more careful in the future. But I think it sounds very passive aggressive.

When we have had issues with guests we have contacted them privately. Airbnb gives you that option. If the guest was not willing to work with us I would simply leave a review that said "this guest was (something positive) however he is not a fit for our property. He is a (friendly person/clean guest/ quiet guest whatever good thing I can say) and I would host him in a (space that was more private/ had better soundproofing/ more spacious whatever), but this property was not the right fit for all concerned. We wish him the best in his travels."

I would take another posters advice and look for more private accomodations next time. I would also be on my best behavior with any future stays and look for automatic bookings where your hosts aren't likely to read your review before you have booked.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This. Is. Why. I. Stay. In. Hotels.

They can't rate you. And it's quite literally their job to pick up after you. I don't go on vacation to do all my normal household chores. They also get paid to bring me room service if I want a steak at 4 AM. (Which I've done close to that - it was midnight).

Get rid of this Airbnb crap staying in a stranger's home. Why are the hosts renting out a house that they live in and sharing bathrooms when they need unfettered availability to it at scheduled times? Doesn't sound like much of a vacation for you!

You have hosts renting out their homes not knowing what they're about to get themselves into. They think they're solving the problem by rating every guest poorly or giving you 3 pages of "House Rules".
If you are a good guest who uses common courtesy there should never be fear if a review. No one is "rating" you. They are simply letting the community know if you are the kind of normal adult who is courteous and respectful. Hotels have deep pockets for repairs. Individual hosts might not. If you trash the beach house that my grandfather built with his own two hands it's going to be difficult to replace the hand carved stair railings. Trash a room at La Quinta? They have extra bedspreads in storage and a handyman who can paint the walls beige again. Reviews give hosts a heads up if a guest isn't a good fit

I will agree that staying with a host in their space strikes me as uncomfortable. But I am an introvert and need my alone time. Lots of people really seem to enjoy these kinds of stays. Thus particular guest should probably have more private space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel