U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 AM

303 posts, read 325,357 times

Advertisements

I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

Quote:
(My name here) is nice and friendly but he should be more aware of the fact that although he may be on vacation while sojourning in somebody's else house, said somebody else may have to get up in the morning to go to work and doesn't enjoy being woken up continuously by his noisy guest at all times during the night. He should also be more attentive and clean while he uses somebody's else bathroom and toilet, the maid service is not provided with the room. Or he should go to an hotel where he has full staff to provide to his needs and nobody to disturb.
In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

Quote:
Seriously, does a grown man needs to be told that it's not ok to soil the toilet lid and bowl (and floor) while urinating in it? And that it's not ok not to clean after himself if he still does it?
I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 10:08 AM

688 posts, read 249,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
Was there any other guest at that Airbnb host's house at the same time while you were there? If yes, you can contact that host and explain that it was not you who made all the noise and mess. You can request that host to remove that negative comment. If no other guest, why would she write that? If you did not make noise and mess, you can write a reply back, and she would be like a liar, and she would lose business in the future.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM

71 posts, read 21,206 times
Well, most men are clueless as to what constitutes a clean bathroom. They never think of the splashback that comes from urinating while standing up. The host might have been a clean freak and you just irritated her by doing that.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:23 AM

37,966 posts, read 55,724,604 times
I don't know, as you already agreed that you MIGHT have soiled the toiled lid, and made noise during the night. It's not an excuse that the bathroom was dark when you used it (why didn't you turn the light on?), so you "might" have soiled the lid and the floor.
Also you might not notice that you made all the noise at night. Remember that every noise at night seems to be much louder than during the day.

I don't think that her job was to remind a grown man about basics related to use of the bathroom (was that a community bathroom??) or about being extra quiet at night while other guests tried to have uninterrupted rest. That is generally expected level of consideration when someone is sharing the house with others.
So, she wrote a review instead.

I don't think you should try to make the host sound like a liar...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 05-05-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know, as you already agreed that you MIGHT have soiled the toiled lid, and made noise during the night. It's not an excuse that the bathroom was dark when you used it, so you "might" have soiled the lid. Also you might not noticed that you made all the noise at night. Remember that every noise at night seems to be much louder than during the day.
So, there is no way to seriously deny it and make the host sound like a liar...
^This.

With all of that said, I'd take this as a lesson learned going forward that if you stay in another AirBnb to be more aware of if you could be doing any of the things that a host could write a potential negative review about.

In your defense, I would expect the host to reach out to you about the noise while still there though.

About the dirty toilet seat, that wouldn't be something they'd discover until after you're gone so I could 'kinda' see why that would be written about.

What makes your thread interesting is the topic of cleanliness when guests leave an Airbnb. Guests pay a cleaning charge for this reason, right? That is definitely NOT to say that people should leave their Airbnb's a mess. I make every effort to leave Airbnbs as clean as possible; I even bring Clorox wipes or what have you to wipe down surfaces upon arrival and departure. I have a friend that Airbnb's a few properties in my city; if you were his guest, he likely would have never known if you left a little pee on the toilet seat as he uses the cleaning fee to pay a cleaning service to tidy up his places after every departure. I know this must vary from host to host; I imagine many hosts renting out private rooms do more of the cleanings themselves...

Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 AM

892 posts, read 460,930 times
I always SMH as to why so many people get their shorts in a bunch over these online reviews. There are always two sides to every story, sometimes there are language issues and in the grand scheme of things, does this impact your life in any way? Let it go! Pun not intended.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 AM

37,966 posts, read 55,724,604 times
Need to add that her review was very mild and civil, regardless.
She could write something more nasty that you were inconsiderate and not welcome in the future. That would be more likely a reason to feel "shocked and insulted"...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM

1,654 posts, read 777,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post

This is why you should always sit on the toilet in the middle of the night, rather than standing. If you are half asleep, you may not notice you are making a mess, or have the lid down.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:01 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,685,250 times
You don't know if you peed on the toilet seat and floor. Seriously?

If you quoted her review verbatim, she just sounds like a crank who doesn't really want to put up with guests. If all your other reviews are good, I don't think that one will hurt you.

Although, nobody wants to mop up your urine, so that was rather rude of you, and I would have been irritated with you, too.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM

405 posts, read 403,804 times
How about in your response you apologize and thank the host for the feedback. State that you didn't realize you were causing such issues and say that you will be sure to be quieter and cleaner in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or