U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,492 posts, read 3,912,875 times
Reputation: 4049

Advertisements

It’s a fairly old fact of life by now: the huge numbers of tourists (especially Asians and especially Chinese) are ruining many places. It’s sad, and there’s nothing that can be done about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2019, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,413 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It’s a fairly old fact of life by now: the huge numbers of tourists (especially Asians and especially Chinese) are ruining many places. It’s sad, and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

You mean they're not just for us anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,492 posts, read 3,912,875 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You mean they're not just for us anymore?
Alas...........they are not. lol

(And btw, there are only 300 million of "us"........that's about 3% of the world's population. It would be kind of difficult for "us" to singlehandedly ruin a place by bringing too many people to visit it......)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Reputation: 7700
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I partially attribute this to the rising chorus that promotes traveling / "experiences" over physical possessions. People are going to spend their leisure money on one or the other, generally. As cities become more crowded, real estate more expensive and houses ever smaller, not to worry, people are assured that experiences make them happier than things, that no one needs more "stuff," and that lots of traveling results in superior human beings.
Trying to quantify what makes people happy is A Thing in some social science areas. Apparently additional money does indeed indeed strongly correlate to additional happiness up to about an $80K a year income and you get less happiness increase per dollar of income increase beyond that threshold. And experience management leading to happiness isn't just about the positives but managing negatives as well. Studies show that if someone really, for example, hates housecleaning and gets to a point where they have, say, $300 left over for the month in the budget after all obligations and savings goals were met, they do indeed end up happier staying in their existing house and and outsourcing the housecleaning rather than buying a new car or larger house with that $300 a month.


Travel and happiness is only a subset of the experience management of the positive side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Australia
903 posts, read 330,269 times
Reputation: 1657
I would never begrudge the Chinese, in particular, their ability to travel. There is absolutely no reason why we in the west should feel we have the right to enjoy travelling and other people should not. I know that the older Chinese have often had very difficult lives, including periods of starvation, and I think it is great to see them out enjoying the world.

Having said that, many countries are struggling to manage the increase in tourism, making the experience much less enjoyable than it was in the past. Apparently the numbers of tour groups visiting placesin Utah is causing a lot of pressure. I have to say we have never had worse value than we had when staying in Yellowstone last year at one of the park lodges. I think we paid about $US300 for a room that was dirty and the food on offer was dreadful. They obviously had no need to provide value.

The prices for tourists in Vietnam have also increased a lot in recent years. Their occupancy rates are extremely high as the number of foreign tourists has tripled in about six years.

Don't know the solution except to look for places less travelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,492 posts, read 3,912,875 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I would never begrudge the Chinese, in particular, their ability to travel. There is absolutely no reason why we in the west should feel we have the right to enjoy travelling and other people should not. I know that the older Chinese have often had very difficult lives, including periods of starvation, and I think it is great to see them out enjoying the world.

Having said that, many countries are struggling to manage the increase in tourism, making the experience much less enjoyable than it was in the past. Apparently the numbers of tour groups visiting placesin Utah is causing a lot of pressure. I have to say we have never had worse value than we had when staying in Yellowstone last year at one of the park lodges. I think we paid about $US300 for a room that was dirty and the food on offer was dreadful. They obviously had no need to provide value.

The prices for tourists in Vietnam have also increased a lot in recent years. Their occupancy rates are extremely high as the number of foreign tourists has tripled in about six years.

Don't know the solution except to look for places less travelled.
There IS no “solution”. (What are you going to do......tell them to stay home?).

You have a bigger heart than me. I wish they all WOULD stay home.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 PM
 
2,097 posts, read 712,911 times
Reputation: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There IS no “solution”. (What are you going to do......tell them to stay home?).
Well, some places do make it difficult. Try getting visas to Russia, India, Nepal or Brazil. Some are just a lot of paperwork, some are very expensive. Of course, all countries in the EU have to be consistent so Italy, for example, can't require a tourist visa and charge you $300 for it. Non-EU countries, though, could easily stem the flow of tourists if they instituted a cumbersome visa requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,492 posts, read 3,912,875 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, some places do make it difficult. Try getting visas to Russia, India, Nepal or Brazil. Some are just a lot of paperwork, some are very expensive. Of course, all countries in the EU have to be consistent so Italy, for example, can't require a tourist visa and charge you $300 for it. Non-EU countries, though, could easily stem the flow of tourists if they instituted a cumbersome visa requirement.
I LIKE that idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,413 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, some places do make it difficult. Try getting visas to Russia, India, Nepal or Brazil. Some are just a lot of paperwork, some are very expensive. Of course, all countries in the EU have to be consistent so Italy, for example, can't require a tourist visa and charge you $300 for it. Non-EU countries, though, could easily stem the flow of tourists if they instituted a cumbersome visa requirement.

But non-EU countries are not the ones "gripped by this vexing problem" described by the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 PM
 
2,097 posts, read 712,911 times
Reputation: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But non-EU countries are not the ones "gripped by this vexing problem" described by the OP
Cause or effect? I wouldn't be surprised if many people were discouraged from going to places where they have to jump through hoops to get a visa, when there are plenty of places (including EU countries) where they just have to show up at the airport with a valid passport from their home country. When DH and I applied for Russian visas in 2003 we needed "invitations" from our hotel and the travel agent's itinerary (I had to fabricate one since we didn't have a travel agent). DH escaped the requirement that he answer a questionnaire about whether or not he might be eligible for US military service only because of his age (66 at the time). You have to REALLY want to visit Russia to go through all that! (It was our honeymoon and it was worth it.) Brazil was also a big pain- I finally ended up going through a professional visa service because their %$#@! embassy never responded to my faxes and voicemails with some very specific questions I had- it was 2000, well before there was much available on-line. Most tourists would just give up and go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top