U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Not in my experience. It turns into them asking you if you have a gun or ammunition anywhere in your car over and over and over ...
Still sounds far-fetched.

Law enforcement people from both sides of the border are generally people who want to stay on the right side of the law. They of all people would be aware that it's foolish to cross over into foreign countries with firearms and weapons.

Of all the vehicles crossing the border they're probably among the least likely to have guns on board.

(BTW without getting into too many details I have some level of personal experience with this. Not all of them of course but many U.S. law enforcement people treat their Canadian peers as if they are "brothers in arms".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:57 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
I have never had a problem crossing into Canada. I hand the guy our passports, a copy of our Itenerary which he looks at and returns, he goes in his booth, comes back and says "Enjoy your stay"

I have had a greater problem crossing back into the USA. One agent could not understand why someone from Florida would be visiting Canada in the summer......Seemed to really think we were up to something.

I would not try taking a firearm into Canada without a proper form. As for searching the car, well, they CAN but I have found that they never have with us, at least not yet.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:09 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
In my experience border guards come in all shapes and sizes... and personalities.

But overall if I had to describe them the Americans tend to be stern and the Canadian ones I'd say are stuffy.

The only ones I've ever had joke around with me are Americans, but the real jerks have all been Americans too. (There is probably a metaphor there, I dunno...)

Usually when I cross into the U.S. one of the first questions is where I am going, quickly followed by a blunt or semi-blunt "What's in (City X)?".

Old 05-28-2019, 12:22 PM

316 posts, read 132,694 times
Never been held long or searched in all my years going (as a child I would visit BC twice for vacation and as an adult go at least once a month for work). I do make sure to have my itinerary set and always have my car clean to allow the guards better viewing access. Little things like that i'm sure helps them clear you faster, as well as staying relaxed and keeping things simple.

Agents are trained to pick up cues and if you give off the wrong combination they go for it because in too many cases it helps keep illegal or negative situations from happening. I know plenty of people who think they can get away with stuff because "how will they know I'm planning to sell these items illegally across the border". Well they can look for cues that your nervous or maybe a bit too cocky. Maybe you keep looking at the back of your car, or your hands have nervous energy.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:40 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In my experience border guards come in all shapes and sizes... and personalities.

But overall if I had to describe them the Americans tend to be stern and the Canadian ones I'd say are stuffy.

The only ones I've ever had joke around with me are Americans, but the real jerks have all been Americans too. (There is probably a metaphor there, I dunno...)

Usually when I cross into the U.S. one of the first questions is where I am going, quickly followed by a blunt or semi-blunt "What's in (City X)?".
I've a had a few Canadian guards joke around with me, both at land crossings and at the airport. Nor super common, most are just banal.

American ones too, a few joke around, but only a land crossing for me it seems. Airports they seem to have no sense of humour..at least to me.

The only border guards I ever heard yell at people are US guards. One I thought was going to burst a vein as he yelled at this elderly woman driver who got a bit confused between the temporary pylons set up while the Peace Arch Crossing was being upgraded. He reminded me of US style military boot camp sergeant. Maybe he was at one time.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM

806 posts, read 313,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
I am a US Citizen who drove into Canada last month.

After being asked dozens of questions about why I'm entering the country, the Customs Agent in the booth told me to pull to the side and then about four men thoroughly searched my car while we waited outside of the car (the whole process took about 25 minutes).

Does this happen to everybody or do they just do it randomly?

(Crossing back into the USA was much quicker and easier.)

That's happened to be once before. They said it was because I entered and left on the same day and they suspected I was a drug runner....

Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
That's happened to be once before. They said it was because I entered and left on the same day and they suspected I was a drug runner....
Lots of people cross the border in both directions on day trips. That, in and of itself, does not raise a red flag. There would to have been other factors involved.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 AM

2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've a had a few Canadian guards joke around with me, both at land crossings and at the airport. Nor super common, most are just banal.
Maybe twenty years ago, I was flying internationally a lot. Toronto-Chicago, Toronto-Dallas, Toronto-San Francisco, Toronto-Washington DC, Toronto-Honolulu-Sydney-Perth (and back again), are some that I remember from that year, though there were other flights, domestic and international. It was enough to bump me up to Super Elite Gold Platinum Superstar status on my frequent-flyer plan. I felt like I was living in airports and aboard aircraft. Anyway, I always returned to Toronto.

There was a Canadian immigration guard at Toronto Pearson who got to recognize me. Heck, I was going through every week or two, it seemed. Somehow, he always ended up being the one I was dealing with. On my last trip that year, he just scrawled something on my landing card, and then asked whether I'd seen the Toronto Blue Jays game the other night. "Huh?"

"Oh, I've interviewed you enough recently when you return to know you're fine, no contraband, nothing in excess of your duty-free allowance, et cetera. But we should talk a little, to make it look good." So we talked baseball for the next two minutes.

Quote:
American ones too, a few joke around, but only a land crossing for me it seems. Airports they seem to have no sense of humour..at least to me.
A few years ago, I recall going through US Customs at Calgary airport, on my way to Las Vegas. The officer asked if I was carrying over USD $10,000. I replied no, I maybe had USD $600 in cash, and my credit and debit cards (both of which work in the US). He said, with a grin, "Well, maybe you don't have ten thousand American now, but you're going to Vegas, and you'll bring that much back, right?" I laughed. He wished me good luck, and told me to have a great trip.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM

806 posts, read 313,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Lots of people cross the border in both directions on day trips. That, in and of itself, does not raise a red flag. There would to have been other factors involved.

Probably just a spot check. Me and my then 2000 Toyota Tacoma were pretty boring LOL.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM

47 posts, read 12,412 times
We have been to Canada several times over the past few decades, either driving our own vehicles or using a rental car one time. We have never been searched going into Canada. The only time I thought something was kind of weird was when we traveled up there with our infant son for the first time. They asked us a few times "Is that your baby?". The answer was "Sure, you want to see his birth certificate and passport?". "No, have a nice trip."

We were searched once when returning to the United States. We had California plates and were crossing back into the States in upper Maine (Fort Kent). The U.S. agent searched the vehicle for about an hour. We played catch in the parking lot. He apologized for the delay, we asked where the nearest grocery store was, he gave us directions, and we wished each other a nice day.

We have been searched more often in the southern U.S. in Arizona and Texas (never in New Mexico) at those border check points which sometimes must be 75 miles or so from the border. They do not search thoroughly; they just want you to pop the hatch and take a look if you have a body back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or