U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:30 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,374,646 times

Advertisements

We used to live in Northeast Ohio and made regular trips in the summer to Toronto crossing the border at Buffalo NY. Never searched. But that was 10 years ago so our experiences are out of date. The Canadian border agents were usually polite and business like and the US agents predictably rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We used to live in Northeast Ohio and made regular trips in the summer to Toronto crossing the border at Buffalo NY. Never searched. But that was 10 years ago so our experiences are out of date. The Canadian border agents were usually polite and business like and the US agents predictably rude.
I'm wondering if rudeness is an East coast thing. I've never encountered rude agents, but all my crossings are in the Western states.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:17 PM

963 posts, read 1,522,895 times
I've gone through secondary searches both times (driving). But I probably fit the profile of someone up to no good, traveling alone, without much in the way of luggage. I assume they were searching for drugs. They looked disappointed to let me go.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Canadians are so nice !!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM

802 posts, read 311,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Canadians are so nice !!

They are! I remember being in my early 20s traveling in a big rented van up to Vancouver with my other idiot 20 year old friends going thru customers and the Canadian customers officers asked the driver "what is the intent of your trip" to which my idiot friend replied "just here to see lots of strippers and drink a ton of beer." The Officer said "hey at least you guys are honest...have a great time."

Old 06-19-2019, 01:08 PM

46 posts, read 15,325 times
I was thinking about driving up to Montreal for the 4th of July weekend, as I have a few days off, but this thread is making me have second thoughts. I'd hate to have to drive several hours only to have to turn around and go home. I don't really have much time off.

I can't tell if the strip search guy is being serious or not haha, that would seriously suck.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM

46 posts, read 15,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBeaver View Post
We have been searched more often in the southern U.S. in Arizona and Texas (never in New Mexico) at those border check points which sometimes must be 75 miles or so from the border. They do not search thoroughly; they just want you to pop the hatch and take a look if you have a body back there.
Can they search your car without a warrant or probable cause? I know crossing into Canada or Mexico they can, since it's an actual border, but those border patrol checkpoints are within the borders of the US, so I would think the same laws apply as if you're pulled over by the police.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:45 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBeaver View Post
We have been to Canada several times over the past few decades, either driving our own vehicles or using a rental car one time. We have never been searched going into Canada. The only time I thought something was kind of weird was when we traveled up there with our infant son for the first time. They asked us a few times "Is that your baby?". The answer was "Sure, you want to see his birth certificate and passport?". "No, have a nice trip."

We were searched once when returning to the United States. We had California plates and were crossing back into the States in upper Maine (Fort Kent). The U.S. agent searched the vehicle for about an hour. We played catch in the parking lot. He apologized for the delay, we asked where the nearest grocery store was, he gave us directions, and we wished each other a nice day.

We have been searched more often in the southern U.S. in Arizona and Texas (never in New Mexico) at those border check points which sometimes must be 75 miles or so from the border. They do not search thoroughly; they just want you to pop the hatch and take a look if you have a body back there.
If you do have a body in the trunk, is it a problem getting across, or will they look the other way for a Benjamin?

Asking for a friend.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
We go 2-3 times a year, mostly entering in Vancouver, but sometimes Osoyoos. In the last 20+ years we have never been searched going across or coming back.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:29 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
I was thinking about driving up to Montreal for the 4th of July weekend, as I have a few days off, but this thread is making me have second thoughts. I'd hate to have to drive several hours only to have to turn around and go home. I don't really have much time off.

I can't tell if the strip search guy is being serious or not haha, that would seriously suck.
Unless you have something that raises red flags on your record, I wouldn't be concerned, TBQH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or