U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:59 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
Can they search your car without a warrant or probable cause? I know crossing into Canada or Mexico they can, since it's an actual border, but those border patrol checkpoints are within the borders of the US, so I would think the same laws apply as if you're pulled over by the police.
Nope. Technically the border patrol has full rights within 100 miles of the border/coast to search as they wish. https://www.aclu.org/other/constitut...le-border-zone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)

2,376 posts, read 4,304,796 times
When I crossed they knew I had a concealed weapons permit, lots of questions, no search. I can spot the new on the job types easily... and that's fun playing 100 questions. I've never had a problem crossing either way.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:25 PM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times
I will tell you that every time I have gone to Canada they give me a hard time. They take me aside, they look through my stuff. I've asked them why and their reply is that my passport shows that I was born in New Mexico which is where "a lot of drug and human trafficking comes from."
And I'm Hispanic, which I'm sure must play into it.

It's real annoying and unpleasant to the point where it makes me kinda avoid going to Canada even though I sometimes want to pop up to Vancouver for the weekend.

They always let me in, they just give me a hard time about it. Well, if you're gonna let me in anyway, why not just let me in right away and be pleasant about it, that way there's more chance of me returning and spending my dollars there, otherwise maybe I won't want the hassle and I'll spend my dollars elsewhere.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:35 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
Can they search your car without a warrant or probable cause?.......

Yes, they can search your car and your person, they can arrest you, and THEY DO NOT HAVE TO ALLOW YOU BACK INTO THE USA.

I suggest that you have your papers in order, do not carry drugs in your car, and be polite when you are questioned.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)

2,376 posts, read 4,304,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I will tell you that every time I have gone to Canada they give me a hard time. They take me aside, they look through my stuff. I've asked them why and their reply is that my passport shows that I was born in New Mexico which is where "a lot of drug and human trafficking comes from."
And I'm Hispanic, which I'm sure must play into it.

It's real annoying and unpleasant to the point where it makes me kinda avoid going to Canada even though I sometimes want to pop up to Vancouver for the weekend.

They always let me in, they just give me a hard time about it. Well, if you're gonna let me in anyway, why not just let me in right away and be pleasant about it, that way there's more chance of me returning and spending my dollars there, otherwise maybe I won't want the hassle and I'll spend my dollars elsewhere.
I was born in Carlsbad, never been an issue. Being Hispanic is probably the reason. Me... I pretty darn white, profiling works, but it isn't fun.

You should see what Haitians do or Nigerians, when you're on a missions trip.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:02 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
There's stupid people everywhere. Customs is not an exception to that. I had a headache coming in because of my Texas plates, but we're Canadian, so we have a right to enter, but Mr. Officer wanted our comings/goings etc. I had to explain a couple times it wasn't his concern before he finally realized the passports in his hand were Canadian. Still fixated on guns because of the plates. Summer Students. Bane of the border service (I should know, I was one back in the day)

Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I was born in Carlsbad, never been an issue. Being Hispanic is probably the reason. Me... I pretty darn white, profiling works, but it isn't fun.
Then it must be my last name and my looks.

I like Canada, but I have avoided going there since the last time a couple years ago, they pulled me over in the airport, rifled through my stuff for an hour, wasted my time, and then let me in. That's the thing that irks me - don't they have a way to check on the computer that they have always let me in? Wouldn't it make sense to consult that list, realize they're always letting me in, conclude that since they've already searched me and questioned me many times before there's probably a good chance I'm not going to do anything, so what's the point of pulling me aside and questioning me.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 10,765 times
I’ve only been searched once. I was in Canada two days to visit my family, coming back, driving a Missouri plated rental car, with a California drivers license. It was around noon, mid week, raining, at the Pembina crossing, nobody else in line. Just the wife and I, both had passports. US customs asked the same questions they always ask, any thing like alcohol, cigarettes or cash? Why, how long, who, what, where... Then.....pull inside. Told to get out of the car, leave the keys, empty you pockets on the table. Sent me into a glass booth, didn’t hardly talk to me but they talked to my wife for half an hour. They searched the car, had the dog sniff inside and all around. We were there for about 45 minutes. Then sent on our way. No sorry for the inconvenience, nothing. They also never smiled, they were kinda pissed off acting. Weird.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 AM

12,223 posts, read 12,491,644 times
I didn't get searched last time I entered Canada. They asked my why I was entering Canada. I told them I was performing with the Vancouver Symphony on Saturday. They asked how much money I had. I told them $500, plus credit cards. They asked if I had any firearms, and I told them I had no weapons of any kind. They said "Welcome to Canada," and waved me through. Total time spent at the border, about 60 seconds.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 AM

12,223 posts, read 12,491,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm wondering if rudeness is an East coast thing. I've never encountered rude agents, but all my crossings are in the Western states.
US border agents with Canada are pretty low key, though when I bought a hunting dog pup they wanted to see the dog and the vaccine cert. Border agents at airports are a different breed. If you take anything of value to Europe have US Customs certify an inventory before you leave the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or