U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 AM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times

Advertisements

Driving, I always get:
Where are you going?
How long will you be in Canada?
Alcohol? Cigarettes? Gifts? Guns?
I’ve never been searched

When I used to fly to Ottawa frequently for business, I’d get harassed occasionally because they wanted to collect income taxes.

Driving into Quebec with lots of Christmas gifts, the border crossing guy got pissed when I listed all the gifts. He didn’t want to do the paperwork and waived me through.

When I was much younger, I got hassled by US Customs in Vancouver after ski trips a few times. They dumped a stinky duffel bag of ski clothes onto the floor and started accusing me of buying items in Canada. K2 skis with a Vermont ski shop sticker on them. Ski boots with all kinds of ski edge cuts on them from 100 days of use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 AM

8,947 posts, read 8,406,922 times
I have crossed the border hundreds of times. I have been pulled over for a secondary search twice over the years, and in both cases was on my way in less than 30 minutes.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM

779 posts, read 520,791 times
Just to clarify something.........The Canadian Government does not care if you have been " charged with something in the USA " We DO care about convictions ...And, as has been mentioned above, drunk driving in Canada is taken seriously . We do send people to prison for drunk driving, especially if the case involves personal injuries, or death. A recent case in the Toronto area, where a drunk driver killed 4 people, resulted in a ten year prison sentence.

CBSA officers are trained to look for evasive behaviour, and visible indicators of deception.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 AM

39,538 posts, read 2,983,837 times
Our trips to Canada have been on a ship or a flight. Customs was only a few minutes.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 AM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
However, if you are a Syrian------ you are in no questions asked.

Care to elaborate?

Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM

5,280 posts, read 3,319,740 times
Back in the summer of '96 or '97 I drove from Scranton, PA up to Ottawa to see a minor league baseball game, the AAA Ottawa Lynx (they have since relocated to Allentown, PA), and crossed over at the St. Lawrence River.

The Canadian border patrol person in the booth looked super young, anyways, I told him what I was doing and where I was going and they made me pull into the inspection area and did a thorough inspection of my car, including the trunk, glove compartment, etc. At the end of my inspection, he asked me where my glove was, and i said, I'm not playing, I'm just going to watch and they let me continue on.

I did a similar crossing in one of those summers as well, to St. Catherine's, coming from Niagara Falls crossing the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, going to see another minor league baseball game, this time the St. Catherine's Stompers, and I didn't get searched that time.

Last July, I did a New England road trip and crossed from Lubec, ME to Campobello Island in New Brunswick, to visit the Roosevelt Cottage and the border agent just asked if I had any firearms in the vehicle and if I ever was arrested before, and of course my answer was no to both and he waved me through with no problem. I even asked if he would stamp my passport, since I like collecting stamps and he obliged.

Heading to Skagway, AK in a few weeks to visit some friends and will probably go up to Whitehorse for a day trip and I don't really foresee any issues at that crossing, but I'll let you know!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Care to elaborate?
Isn't obviously sarcasm about Canada's perceived softness on the issue of refugee claimants?

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,467,288 times
It's pretty easy for a 19-20 year old college kid in SE Michigan to cross on a Friday night into Windsor to drink.
Never searched then, nor when I was a kid going a Ontario for boy scout camping.

But I haven't been since passports have been required

Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn't obviously sarcasm about Canada's perceived softness on the issue of refugee claimants?
I'll take your word for it. Wasn't familiar with the perception.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,256,417 times
Our last crossings, in April 2007 and July 2012 at, respectively, Niagara and Vermont (I-91) were trouble-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or