U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's pretty easy for a 19-20 year old college kid in SE Michigan to cross on a Friday night into Windsor to drink.

A fan of the Windsor ballet back then as well, I'm guessing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn't obviously sarcasm about Canada's perceived softness on the issue of refugee claimants?
It's ok to call out bigots to make them own their BS.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:49 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We don't use the term felonies, and there may be some legal differences in what is the closest thing to what you call a felony and we call a Federal Criminal Offence. So yes, DUI is a serious offence here in Canada. It doesn't matter where the DUI happened or if the country where it happened doesn't put the same weight on the offence, that we do. It's been a Federal Criminal Offence since 1921. So it isn't new.

The US will deny entry if you have more than one DUI.
Actually instead of misdemeanors and felonies we use summary and indictable offenses. Summary offenses have a penalty of less than two years in jail, indictable are more than two years potential in jail. Some crimes have dual possibilities, such as impared driving. It could be charged as either. Also Canada has one criminal code. The US has one for every state, plus a federal one.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,951,024 times
I got a dwi 16 years ago in MN. I went to Thunder Bay for my Grampa's funeral in 2009, got in no problem riding with my parents. I then got in no problem in 2011 for my Grandma's funeral in my own vehicle. I did read that dui laws changed in Canada in 2018, and the 10 yr rule is gone. I'm going on a cruise from AK to Vancouver next summer. So once my passport is renewed this summer, I'm gonna go to Canada to make sure I can get in. I'm gonna say I'm going to visit waterfalls/scenic things and plan to return to US that day. I can always say I'm going to visit family though.

I only got searched going into Canada near Minot, ND when my friend and I moved to Anchorage at 22 years old, I've been going to Canada often my whole life.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM

375 posts, read 102,098 times
We got a pretty through search from the Canadians once. Family with young kids, a Golden Retriever, and a travel trailer. We personally were of no interest to the guards. They also didn't even crack a door on the Tahoe. They spent about 15-20 minutes rooting around in the trailer. Once they came out, a guard was showing a younger female guard how to unlatch the exterior vent/service hatch fasteners, and remove the vent. He then showed her how much room was available in the cavity to stash stuff. I really think we had participated in a random training exercise.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:24 PM

900 posts, read 794,538 times
We entered Canada via a cruise ship, and I don't remember being asked any questions whatsoever (this was in 2005). On the train back, however, the U.S. customs agents seemed rather abrupt and surly. When they asked why we had gone to Canada it seemed to me almost as if we were supposed to have gotten permission to leave the States beforehand.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,933,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn't obviously sarcasm about Canada's perceived softness on the issue of refugee claimants?
People have been floating into Canada on a 2X8 and get in and get to live there - often on welfare for decades. If they wanna do that, fine with me, but quit harassing old European-White men who you know full well were born & lived in the US for 60+ years. Idiots.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM

779 posts, read 519,277 times
TwinbrookNine.

Imagine that I am a CBSA agent at a port of entry to Canada.

When you pull up to the booth.........How in hell can I magically know anything about YOU ? That's why we require identification from EVERYONE.

Re your assertion about " people floating into Canada on a piece of lumber " You are kidding, right ?

Finally, please exercise your right to NOT visit my country.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM

15,882 posts, read 6,248,592 times
Default Long time ago...

I had my one unpleasant Canadian border experience in June 1973. I was on a tour bus full of teenagers (I was 16) crossing over the border at Niagara, going across Ontario's southern tip to Windsor to cross back into the U.S. I wasn't really paying attention. I was reading National Lampoon and laughing hysterically. The Canadian border control didn't think it was funny that I was laughing.

The tour director was able to get us through by the skin of his teeth.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,547,724 times
We were pretty heavily searched coming bac from France in Toronto but I wasn’t overly surprised by it. We did learn the hard way that just because customs says you can bring something through in their policy that doesn’t mean the individual officer will allow it. In this case it was shrink wrapped wild boar salami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or