U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We were pretty heavily searched coming bac from France in Toronto but I wasn’t overly surprised by it. We did learn the hard way that just because customs says you can bring something through in their policy that doesn’t mean the individual officer will allow it. In this case it was shrink wrapped wild boar salami.
I got monster searched in London Heathrow one time, but so was everyone so it was fine, just annoying. They went through everything in my bag, stuck their hand inside my sneakers to make sure I wasn't hiding anything in there, looked inside every pocket … it was pretty crazy.

Then the lady goes "hmmmpf" and let me go … like really, what were you expecting to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I got monster searched in London Heathrow one time, but so was everyone so it was fine, just annoying. They went through everything in my bag, stuck their hand inside my sneakers to make sure I wasn't hiding anything in there, looked inside every pocket … it was pretty crazy.

Then the lady goes "hmmmpf" and let me go … like really, what were you expecting to find?
Some people just get tagged for special searches.

I flew out of Ottawa two years ago, and after the basic walk through the detector, they asked me to come back around. A woman officer patted me down thoroughly and searched me with the special wand, and then this guy went through everything in my bag as you describe above. It was a duffle bag with all my now-dirty clothes, and I asked him how he liked having to search through dirty underwear. He just laughed and said, "That's why we have these gloves."

After that I was waiting near the gate and all of a sudden they call four names to bring our ID to the gate agent. I was one.

When I handed my passport to the woman, she glanced at it and then she winked and said, "How did you like that special search today?" I said, "Yeah, what was that about?" She said the airline randomly picks several names out for the more intense search and the double-check with the passport.

Doesn't bother me. I'm a 9/11 WTC survivor, so go ahead and do whatever you have to do. The would-be LAX bomber was picked off at the Canadian border by a sharp-eyed agent who noticed how nervous he was and checked his trunk.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
The dreaded 4S. If you ever get your boarding pass it has SSSS printed on it, you're gonna have a bad day. Extra security and glove love at every turn.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Yeah, there definitely are random searches that happen as well that are basically lottery-style.

Just to keep the bad guys (especially the ones good at not giving off any signs) honest.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The dreaded 4S. If you ever get your boarding pass it has SSSS printed on it, you're gonna have a bad day. Extra security and glove love at every turn.
is it just random these SSSS people?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some people just get tagged for special searches.

I flew out of Ottawa two years ago, and after the basic walk through the detector, they asked me to come back around. A woman officer patted me down thoroughly and searched me with the special wand, and then this guy went through everything in my bag as you describe above. It was a duffle bag with all my now-dirty clothes, and I asked him how he liked having to search through dirty underwear. He just laughed and said, "That's why we have these gloves."

After that I was waiting near the gate and all of a sudden they call four names to bring our ID to the gate agent. I was one.

When I handed my passport to the woman, she glanced at it and then she winked and said, "How did you like that special search today?" I said, "Yeah, what was that about?" She said the airline randomly picks several names out for the more intense search and the double-check with the passport.

Doesn't bother me. I'm a 9/11 WTC survivor, so go ahead and do whatever you have to do. The would-be LAX bomber was picked off at the Canadian border by a sharp-eyed agent who noticed how nervous he was and checked his trunk.
That happened to my partner once when we flew out YVR. I think they put a big S on his boarding pass.

They were polite about it.

EDIT: Just saw the post about SSSS.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, yes. That is what they told my partner. Only happened once.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM

320 posts, read 71,845 times
There are a multitude of reasons why Canadian Border has gotten stricter over the years. I’m Canadian and have been following it and observing a while. I crossed back into Canada a week before 9-11, doing a road-trip with some friends to Florida (university days). I can say, it's still stark in my mind at how laxed it was going into the US and coming back into Canada.

Because I went back to the US just few years later and it was a shocker in terms of their tenseness. This was prime in the Bush fighting Terrorism years. Canada was a little late to re-organize but it too felt like trying to enter into the US for us Canadian Citizens.

-911. Canada was pointed over and over by the US as letting the 911 Terrorists through its borders. This proved to be false, but was an easy scapegoat by the US
-Even for years after, there were some lax measures, so Canada kept getting blamed by the US that its our fault for alot of the terrorist activity in the US.
-Canada reorganized its Border Control enforcement by creating a new entity. New more US like Militant culture.
-This was reinforced with the disparity in the ‘strictness’ between the two countries. Basically, Canada started acting like its Big Brother to try to impress them and that we’re also tough when it comes to border screenings.
-For awhile, the Strong Canadian $ made it even hard for us Canadians to get back in since they were trying to collect taxes on all the cross border shopping.
-Continued flow of guns and drugs into the country from the US. There has been continual pressure to try to stop the flows so more stringent questioning for Americans which is probably more of an influence today for Americans.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:17 PM

A while back...maybe 20 years, I was taken to a room after landing in Vancouver.

The customs person was dressed in street clothes. Looked tough, but was polite...firm but polite. Asked me all sorts of questions about my work, my travel, my passports, asked for my boss phone number. Then he would asked some of the same questions further on to see if they matched my first answer.

I remember thinking, " something is going on that I don't know about, and I know I've done nothing wrong, you are back on Canadian soil so no need to worry".

After about 20 minutes he thanked me and said I could go.

Later on it made sense.

I had flown as a lone male that day Lyon to Amsterdam and then on to Vancouver. I was gone for 2 months and my trip included several flights within Europe.

There had been a bombing in Lyon that day, so I'm assuming there was some sort of alert out there.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:21 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Quote:
Random-ish. It has a random element, but you can do things that make you more likely to get it. Last minute tickets, usually paid by cash will do it. One way tickets, odd connections, odd destinations, etc. all ramp up your possibility for the glove of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or