U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 03:23 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
There are a multitude of reasons why Canadian Border has gotten stricter over the years. I’m Canadian and have been following it and observing a while. I crossed back into Canada a week before 9-11, doing a road-trip with some friends to Florida (university days). I can say, it's still stark in my mind at how laxed it was going into the US and coming back into Canada.

Because I went back to the US just few years later and it was a shocker in terms of their tenseness. This was prime in the Bush fighting Terrorism years. Canada was a little late to re-organize but it too felt like trying to enter into the US for us Canadian Citizens.

-911. Canada was pointed over and over by the US as letting the 911 Terrorists through its borders. This proved to be false, but was an easy scapegoat by the US
-Even for years after, there were some lax measures, so Canada kept getting blamed by the US that its our fault for alot of the terrorist activity in the US.
-Canada reorganized its Border Control enforcement by creating a new entity. New more US like Militant culture.
-This was reinforced with the disparity in the ‘strictness’ between the two countries. Basically, Canada started acting like its Big Brother to try to impress them and that we’re also tough when it comes to border screenings.
-For awhile, the Strong Canadian $ made it even hard for us Canadians to get back in since they were trying to collect taxes on all the cross border shopping.
-Continued flow of guns and drugs into the country from the US. There has been continual pressure to try to stop the flows so more stringent questioning for Americans which is probably more of an influence today for Americans.
Border security screening are tougher, but I have never felt that the Canadian border guards were trying to make it hard for us to get back in. They don't make the laws regarding duty and taxes.

What evidence do you have for saying they were trying to impress the US? Sounds odd to me.

I also never got the finger pointing at Canada. Yes the lies about the 9/11 terrorists coming from Canada were lies, but I like to point out to Americans that even if Canada had NO border screenings and let in anyone, we are not responsible for who YOU let into the US. That is not Canada's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 PM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That happened to my partner once when we flew out YVR. I think they put a big S on his boarding pass.

They were polite about it.

EDIT: Just saw the post about SSSS.
Well, heck yeah, they were Canadian!

Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
There are a multitude of reasons why Canadian Border has gotten stricter over the years. I’m Canadian and have been following it and observing a while. I crossed back into Canada a week before 9-11, doing a road-trip with some friends to Florida (university days). I can say, it's still stark in my mind at how laxed it was going into the US and coming back into Canada.

Because I went back to the US just few years later and it was a shocker in terms of their tenseness. This was prime in the Bush fighting Terrorism years. Canada was a little late to re-organize but it too felt like trying to enter into the US for us Canadian Citizens.

-911. Canada was pointed over and over by the US as letting the 911 Terrorists through its borders. This proved to be false, but was an easy scapegoat by the US
-Even for years after, there were some lax measures, so Canada kept getting blamed by the US that its our fault for alot of the terrorist activity in the US.
-Canada reorganized its Border Control enforcement by creating a new entity. New more US like Militant culture.
-This was reinforced with the disparity in the ‘strictness’ between the two countries. Basically, Canada started acting like its Big Brother to try to impress them and that we’re also tough when it comes to border screenings.
-For awhile, the Strong Canadian $ made it even hard for us Canadians to get back in since they were trying to collect taxes on all the cross border shopping.
-Continued flow of guns and drugs into the country from the US. There has been continual pressure to try to stop the flows so more stringent questioning for Americans which is probably more of an influence today for Americans.
I think it might have been worse than now in the first years after 9/11. This is anecdotal, of course, but I met up with old friends for dinner last year, and one of them told me of her experiences. She is an American married to a Brit and they were living in Toronto for his job after living in London for a while. They bought a house there and everything. Her parents were still here in New Jersey, so they traveled back and forth, plus he had to make regular trips to NYC for business.

She said they were constantly stopped and searched to the point that once, when they were driving two cars back into Canada, her in one and him in the other, he went through the Nexus lane and she went through the regular, and they pulled them both in and accused him of trying to smuggle her into the country. She said they were so fed up and said, "Look we are MARRIED, we LIVE here, and we own a house here, what the hell is this about? Isn't there something you can note in the file so that this stuff stops happening?" She said they did, and after that it stopped. But that was in the earlier 00s, and I think they were cracking down harder on anyone with a foreign passport.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, heck yeah, they were Canadian!
I did have one guard when coming back from camping in Washington State asked me why I went camping in Washington when we have plenty of good campsites here in BC.

She said it with a straight face and I remember stammering..well I went with American friends etc.

She laughed and said she was joking. Guess they can joke, we can't

The best feel good border crossing story I have was when I was entering the US. It was a very small crossing, usually just one vehicle a head, and is in eastern BC/Washington.

I had crossed it a few times, usually once a year. There was always an old white haired jovial US guard, who chat and send me on my way.

The last time I went through, I saw a young guy sitting there...about two years ago. I thought, I hope he isn't a mean one.

When I pulled up he asked me where I was going. I named the place. He asked " where is that ". Now I know border guards can come from anywhere so he may not know the area. So I told him it was near so and so.
He then said " if you were trying to explain to someone where it is, how would you do that? "

Now at this point I'm thinking he is playing games or is a bit off. However, I answer.

He then with a big grin, and leaning forward, he said "Thanks. Know why I'm asking?" No I replied.
"It's my FIRST day on the job and I'm trying to learn the area. I laughed, wished him luck in his career and drove off.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Random-ish. It has a random element, but you can do things that make you more likely to get it. Last minute tickets, usually paid by cash will do it. One way tickets, odd connections, odd destinations, etc. all ramp up your possibility for the glove of love.
What about if you’re an American citizen with a very foreign sounding last name?

Dare I say, a last name from a country we don’t have diplomatic relations with

Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Border security screening are tougher, but I have never felt that the Canadian border guards were trying to make it hard for us to get back in. They don't make the laws regarding duty and taxes.

What evidence do you have for saying they were trying to impress the US? Sounds odd to me.

I also never got the finger pointing at Canada. Yes the lies about the 9/11 terrorists coming from Canada were lies, but I like to point out to Americans that even if Canada had NO border screenings and let in anyone, we are not responsible for who YOU let into the US. That is not Canada's job.
I don't actually remember any finger-pointing at Canada after 9/11, but now that I've spent some time there, I am more aware of some of the dumb perceptions some Americans have about the country. I myself basically had NO perceptions about Canada, other than it produced a lot of comedians, musicians, actors, Alex Trebek and Peter Jennings, lol, but like most Americans, hardly gave the gigantic country on top of us much thought.

"How can you swim in that freezing water?" "It's not freezing. It's August, it's 85F, and the water is nice."

"It must be confusing using their money." "No, they've got the values printed on them, just like ours. $5, $10, $20. Besides, it's even easier because it's color-coded! Coins for $1 and $2, easy to tell apart. No pennies, which is nice."

My favorite:

"What do you mean you went there for Canadian Thanksgiving? How can they have Thanksgiving? That's not THEIR holiday!"

Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 PM

22,672 posts, read 28,697,836 times
Yes, I got stopped. Tiny car, two people, chock full of camping gear and no destination. We just wanted to drive around and camp and see the sights.

Also five large German Shepherds with me.

I politely asked if the agent would like to have me remove the dogs while he inspected the car. I called them out of the car, lined them up in a sit stay, where they sat without moving for the whole time while the agent unpacked the car and inspected everything.

When he was done, he had so much dog hair on his uniform that he looked like a plush toy.

I mildly said that his co-worker must be mad at him for something and he glared at the agent that had sent me over to secondary inspection with my car full of big hairy dogs..

The other direction there was a little blip getting back into America because the agent was confused by five rabies certificate that were all identical. I had to point out that each certificate had a different dog's name on it, because everything else was the same: black and tan female German Shepherd, same vet, same vaccination date, same owner.

None of it any problem. I am polite, they are polite, whatever business gets done politely and on my way. if you get hostile about it, they don't have to be so polite.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM

5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Sorry I'm late to this, having read quite a bit, mainly about restrictions... Now here it is.

My BIL who is married to my older sister, has NOT gotten citizenship in the USA. He served in the army and he did get his visa renewed. BUT he got a DUI here in Washington, would he be prevented from going to Canada then?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:19 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,573,582 times
Well last trip I took to Canada I did not enjoy at all. I was actually looking forward to it too.

My family booked a big rental house in northern Wisconsin and instead of driving the usual boring I-80, thought I'd take the northern loop across Ontario and then drop into the UP of Michigan which I had never driven across either.

I will not go into all the long details but basically the Canadian immigration people accused me of all sorts of nonsense criminal conspiracies and tossed my whole car, dumped everything on the ground. I had this one nutter maniac immigration officer screaming in my face and I had to stand there with my hands in the air in view of hundreds of people.

I told those pathetic D-bags I would be happy to return to the USA and take my tourist dollars elsewhere. And then they tossed my passport back at me and let me go. It took me a while to repack my car.

I went from being excited to do some exploring to being not very happy at all and it ruined the trip. Other than stopping at a few stores and eating a few meals, I just kept to the main road, stayed overnight and then got the hell out of the country.

Now I have an appreciation for why even though I don't live far from Canada at all, no one here is going hey let's go to Canada for a concert or for a weekend or for some shopping or whatever. Canada may as well be on another planet as far as any locals here are concerned, we never hear about it at all.

My greater family is interested in renting a large house in the Atlantic Provinces for summer vacation and before we do the plan is that I will do some recon. It's already been decided that next time I go if I get treated like garbage at the border, we will pull our plans and go somewhere else in New England instead. We probably drop $15-$25K over one week into the local economy with the big house rental and all the other costs. So hey if Canada wants to flip the bird at tourists, we can take our money and time and energy elsewhere.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't actually remember any finger-pointing at Canada after 9/11, but now that I've spent some time there, I am more aware of some of the dumb perceptions some Americans have about the country. I myself basically had NO perceptions about Canada, other than it produced a lot of comedians, musicians, actors, Alex Trebek and Peter Jennings, lol, but like most Americans, hardly gave the gigantic country on top of us much thought.

"How can you swim in that freezing water?" "It's not freezing. It's August, it's 85F, and the water is nice."

"It must be confusing using their money." "No, they've got the values printed on them, just like ours. $5, $10, $20. Besides, it's even easier because it's color-coded! Coins for $1 and $2, easy to tell apart. No pennies, which is nice."

My favorite:

"What do you mean you went there for Canadian Thanksgiving? How can they have Thanksgiving? That's not THEIR holiday!"
You probably don't remember because, as you know now, the US media pays little attention to Canada, even when their politicians repeated the lie about the terrorists. I do see occasionally here on CD some Americans still blaming Canada...and as I said, as if WE let people into the US LOL

Here's link about the very thing.

"Arizona Senator John McCain is the latest high-profile politician to repeat the diehard American falsehood that the Sept. 11, 2001, attackers entered the United States through Canada.

Just days after Janet Napolitano, the U.S. homeland security secretary, sparked a diplomatic kerfuffle by suggesting the perpetrators took a Canadian route to the U.S. eight years ago, McCain defended her by saying that, in fact, the former Arizona governor was correct
."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mccain...anada-1.830149

A lot of the inattention and ignorance about Canada is harmless...mainly. Lately with Trump calling us a security threat, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or