U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:22 AM

375 posts, read 101,574 times

Advertisements

On a far more domestic scale, even though I'm firmly rooted on the east coast, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Black Hills of South Dakota, in the last 25 years. Typically, at least a week every summer, often more. As an RV enthusiast, I talk to a lot of folks, online and in person. Since first visiting, I have been totally blown away by how many times I hear of folks who are passing through the western half of South Dakota, and struggle with the idea of not "wasting time" in the Black Hills. I can't count how many times I hear something similar to "what's really there, Mt. Rushmore, and not much else, right?". There are hundreds of interesting things to do in Western SD, yet it can be a struggle to get a lot of easterners to even slow down, as they race toward Yellowstone, or other "must see!" points to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,501,359 times
I wouldn't say we "missed" it but we didn't go to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville when we were in town a few weeks ago.

But that's a different topic. What "major attractions" did you not care to visit.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 AM

6,301 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Part of the fun for me is taking time to research so that by the time I'm going I really know what it is I want to see. There have been times I've passed up the big, glitzy tourist attractions because I've found references to small, out-of-the-way sites that are more representative of an area.

For instance, I'd always wanted to swim in a cenote in Mexico. There are guided tours and also individual places that have been paved with walkways and provided with lunch counters and supervision. But I found a rustic one owned by a Mayan family a short trek through the jungle off the highway that was in its natural state. And that is where I chose to go.

To me that was the real experience. It wasn't crowded - just a couple people, friendly locals, having a refreshing dip. The rocks were covered with trilobite fossils and there was no one with a bullhorn rushing me along or telling me where I could or could not explore.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,501,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Part of the fun for me is taking time to research so that by the time I'm going I really know what it is I want to see. There have been times I've passed up the big, glitzy tourist attractions because I've found references to small, out-of-the-way sites that are more representative of an area.

For instance, I'd always wanted to swim in a cenote in Mexico. There are guided tours and also individual places that have been paved with walkways and provided with lunch counters and supervision. But I found a rustic one owned by a Mayan family a short trek through the jungle off the highway that was in its natural state. And that is where I chose to go.

To me that was the real experience. It wasn't crowded - just a couple people, friendly locals, having a refreshing dip. The rocks were covered with trilobite fossils and there was no one with a bullhorn rushing me along or telling me where I could or could not explore.
This is the way we like to roll as well. Do the research, find the alternatives to the big flashy sites. You'll likely enjoy it more anyway.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:18 AM

1,802 posts, read 804,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
On a far more domestic scale, even though I'm firmly rooted on the east coast, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Black Hills of South Dakota, in the last 25 years. Typically, at least a week every summer, often more. As an RV enthusiast, I talk to a lot of folks, online and in person. Since first visiting, I have been totally blown away by how many times I hear of folks who are passing through the western half of South Dakota, and struggle with the idea of not "wasting time" in the Black Hills. I can't count how many times I hear something similar to "what's really there, Mt. Rushmore, and not much else, right?". There are hundreds of interesting things to do in Western SD, yet it can be a struggle to get a lot of easterners to even slow down, as they race toward Yellowstone, or other "must see!" points to the west.
Can you elaborate?

I'm not aware what's there in the Black Hills.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 AM

6,536 posts, read 2,358,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Hasnít occurred very often to me because I do a lot of research before traveling, but has happened a couple times:

Rome: Galleria Borghese was closed for renovation.

New Orleans: had set up a plantation tour of Houmas House, Destrehan, and San Francisco. Didnít happen because not enough people signed up for it.

San Francisco: Asian Art Museum and De Young Art Museum were both closed for earthquake retrofitting.

Los Angeles: Pacific Asia Art Museum was closed for earthquake retrofitting. Fortunately, highlights of the collection were on display at the USC main library.

Memphis: two BBQ eateries, Payneís and Charlie Vergoís Rendezvous, were seasonally closed.

Have been lucky enough to return a second time to Paris. Didnít get to several attractions the first time I went because there was just too much to see (Cluny and Rodin Museums, parks like Luxembourg Gardens and Parc Monceau), but saw everything else on a second visit.

IMO, Rendezvous was over rated. Our ribs were so dried out and skinny. Not worth the wait to get in. Maybe it was a bad night, I don't know.

I love New Orleans. Been there 3 times, and there's still stuff I want to see, but haven't...yet.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:34 AM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Yes, and I'm glad I missed them, every single time.

The lines and crowds ruin it for me. I want spaces where I'm the only one around to enjoy it. So I value:

MY hotel room (I save for a nice room that I enjoy spending time in)

MY dinner table (I like to visit places where I can make reservations)

MY view (Alternatively, I would take a modern cabin vs. hotel room in the mountains so that I could enjoy unobstructed views without the crowds that would be present at, say, a mountain summit like Mt. Mitchell that is easily accessed via vehicles and admission is sold.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 PM

513 posts, read 340,808 times
Some of my best experiences entailed researching a place heavily, then discovering an attraction that I overlooked. Allow for serendipity!

Old 05-08-2019, 12:33 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
No. I do my research.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:43 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Went on this long road trip one time going to an amusement park.. Had a bunch of misadventure along the way.. Finally arrive out there, there's a message that it's closed for the next two weeks for repairs and then this security guard comes along and tells us the park is closed and that the moose out front should have told us.

Being serious.. I booked a trip to Las Vegas and the one thing I wanted to do was see Penn and Teller. I booked the trip about 8 months in advance, before they had released their schedule.. And sure enough, the week I was out there, they were in New Jersey or something like that.

But did go back out the next year and got to see them, and my nephew who I took out there with me even got to go onstage and be in a trick with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or