U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 AM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times

Advertisements

I was in London on a business trip and I was right outside the Tower of London, but did not go in. I thought "I want to come back with my wife and see more of England. It never happened for health reasons. Now in our mid 80s we have retired from travel.

We did have some other trips that were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,882,815 times
Missing "major attractions" is just a choice. I had no wish to a boat ride down the Seine in Paris. Spent time in an interesting flea market near the cathedral.

To each his own. Many attractions you can see without actually visiting....ie Paris you can see the Eiffel Tower and the Arch from far away, no need to actually climb up unless that's a goal.

Same for NYC....Empire State, 9-11 Memorial are easily seen from just about anywhere in the city.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Missing "major attractions" is just a choice. I had no wish to a boat ride down the Seine in Paris. Spent time in an interesting flea market near the cathedral.

To each his own. Many attractions you can see without actually visiting....ie Paris you can see the Eiffel Tower and the Arch from far away, no need to actually climb up unless that's a goal.

Same for NYC....Empire State, 9-11 Memorial are easily seen from just about anywhere in the city.
I agree with you in general, but unless you include One WTC (aka Freedom Tower) as a part of it, it’s pretty tough to see the 9-11 Memorial unless you are actually there.

As for the OP, I do my research too so I don’t think I have ever really missed a ‘major’ attraction, but I have missed a few second-tier attractions and I ended up regretting that: the Russian Museum in St.Petersburg, the Chora Museum in Istanbul...

OP re: Montreal: don’t sweat it, Old Montréal is nice but the Underground City is essentially just a big underground shopping mall, it’s really nothing special.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,661 times
In the late 1980s, I went to Toronto for a workshop but could skip out on some of the meetings and stayed an extra day. In those days you had to buy a travel book at a bookstore or go to AAA for one of their books which I did not do thinking there would be travel brochures at the large downtown hotel. There turned out to be little in the way of tourist information or maps (I had a rental car map but nothing else) and it was hard to ask for directions as many people on the street were immigrants and did not speak English or at least the French speaking residents would pretend to not speak English. So I mostly drove and walked around the downtown area and a nearby mall.

A couple of years ago I had another workshop in August in a Chicago suburb but stayed the weekend in Chicago near all the museums. The lines were horrible with waits up to two hours to get in to attractions - lots of families. The best attractions required tickets purchased in advance and these sold out quickly. Special exhibits at museums required tickets. And it was hot and muggy and I was starting to get a bad summer cold the last two days. In three days, I saw a couple of museums and attractions and took a tour bus around the city. Now retired, I want to go back and schedule the trip during the week when the weather is better but kids are in school.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM

264 posts, read 225,845 times
I was in London last summer but Big Ben was covered with scaffolding and basically unrecognizable. I guess it will be up until next year sometime, so if you are going to London this summer, you will have the same experience.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
In the late 1980s, I went to Toronto for a workshop but could skip out on some of the meetings and stayed an extra day. In those days you had to buy a travel book at a bookstore or go to AAA for one of their books which I did not do thinking there would be travel brochures at the large downtown hotel. There turned out to be little in the way of tourist information or maps (I had a rental car map but nothing else) and it was hard to ask for directions as many people on the street were immigrants and did not speak English or at least the French speaking residents would pretend to not speak English. So I mostly drove and walked around the downtown area and a nearby mall.

A
French speaking residents who could not speak English in Toronto ?????????

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
I drive to Vegas every year to see family. Always come down I15 through Salt Lake City and St. George. To this day I've never really had the opportunity, motivation, or ability to see Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park.
The Kolob Canyon unit of Zion reopened recently after closing for repaving and improvement projects most of 2018 and is a pretty easy side trip form I-15 to stretch one's legs a bit.

We've got an upcoming trip to Bernese Oberland coming up and are probably going to skip the
Jungfraujoch. Expensive even by Swiss standards and would consume most of a day probably better spent hiking in the region.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfr...top-of-europe/

Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 AM

598 posts, read 160,081 times
I live in Florida and have never taken my children to The House of Mouse (Disney).

But I have taken them to almost every National Park in our beautiful land, including Volcanoes on Hawaii and Denali in Alaska.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

75 posts, read 23,221 times
Hi,
Last year, I went to Sydney, Australia. I visited the popular places in Sydney like Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour and more but I missed to visit The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney.

Next time, When I will visit Sydney, I will definitely visit the same place.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith12 View Post
Hi,
Last year, I went to Sydney, Australia. I visited the popular places in Sydney like Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour and more but I missed to visit The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney.

Next time, When I will visit Sydney, I will definitely visit the same place.

Thanks.
Did you go to Taronga Zoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or