Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 PM

343 posts, read 349,645 times

Advertisements

I drive to Vegas every year to see family. Always come down I15 through Salt Lake City and St. George. To this day I've never really had the opportunity, motivation, or ability to see Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park.

Also, I grew up in Portland Oregon and never saw the Oregon Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,390,782 times
As a young woman traveling extensively in Europe, I had two options open to me in Rome (after a morning of sightseeing):

1. Cross the street and visit the Coliseum.

or

2. Go back to the hotel where my West German boyfriend and I were staying and make passionate love.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 AM

150 posts, read 59,800 times
Leonardo da Vinci's supposed grave in Amboise, France. I didn't do a lot of research prior to the trip so the only thing I knew was that da Vinci spent his last years in this town. i had an inkling that his tomb might also be in Amboise but I wasn't able to locate it. It was only after I came back from my trip that I found out his tomb was in this small chapel which I saw on the way but didn't bother going in.

Taos Pueblo, New Mexico. Just a few days before my trip, the annual winter closure was extended to another week. I went instead to the Chaco Culture National Historical Park.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:37 AM

24,519 posts, read 18,026,656 times
In the dozen or so times I’ve been to Paris, I never saw the need to visit the Eiffel Tower. Something like that is very low on my list.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 AM

13,259 posts, read 8,352,884 times
My greatest delight in traveling is NOT seeing the tourist trap places. I've gained more wonderment from going off the beaten path...thru villages or staying in cabins overlooking a seaside.

I must confess though when I was in Antwerpen,I did visit Diamond Row. But that is a Must as part of my" Be a Woman Membership"

Besides I live vicarously thru those who do tell the tales of their travels to "Must" see attractions. Such as The Alamo, Or the falls , or some Egyptian pyramid. All which sound lovely.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 AM

43,330 posts, read 44,045,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
New York City, never visited the Statue of Liberty.
If one takes free Staten Island ferry and sees it that way I think it is good enough for most people.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,919,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one takes free Staten Island ferry and sees it that way I think it is good enough for most people.
To be far, in such huge cities, it's likely that you won't be able to see even all of the first-tier attractions. Me and my family have probably been to NYC for a combined 50 heads, yet have never seen the Met or any of the Museum Mile museums, a performance at Lincoln Center, a game at Yankee Staidum, Citi Field and Flushing Meadows Park, the Bronx Zoo and New York Botanical Garden, or Madison Square Garden, or countless famous restaurants and shops. And of course, I've never taken the Staten Island Ferry before since like so many others, see that borough as a backwater. Even in Baltimore city which I live just a half hour from, I've never been up their World Trade Center, nor on the Constellation boat, Washington Monument, Lexington Market, in Patterson Park, Sherwood Gardens, the Baltimore Museum Of Art, Walters Art Gallery, B&O Railroad Museum, or Enoch Pratt Free Library, all considered "major" attractions by Baltimore standards.

When I visited Seattle last fall, I was the only one to head up the Space Needle while the rest of my companion was looking elsewhere. Of course, I was there for just three days, so while I did see that and walked around through Seattle Center, I felt that the time/admission lent me to just a walk around, and while I did to the underground city tour, visited Pike's Place Market, saw the Starbucks roastery, main public library, lobby of the City Hall, Safeco Field game and the flagship Nordstrom, still missed out on things like going up the Columbia Center tower, a ferry ride, Ballard, the International District, and the site of Sub Pop records. The bottom line is for most larger cities, you're not going to cover everything unless if you're REALLY interested in that city.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,439,102 times
Yes. Bourbon Street. Though to be fair I did cross it a few times when I have been on jaunts through the Quarter. There's some truly amazing cocktail culture in New Orleans not to mention wine bars so frat parties for middle aged men are not really my scene. And the smell is worse than Paris.

Speaking of, never spent time at the Eiffel tower. Nor the Tower of London. Nor the Washington Monument. Driven/walked by. Just not interested. I frankly don't really care to stand in lines.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:09 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,689,281 times
Often times I miss 1 or 2 major tourist location, especially on international trips, because I do lot of Stopover which is less than 30hrs and I have just enough time to take a quick glimpse

Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 4,751 times
Yepp
Once, when I travel to Japan. I planed carefully about where I go, which I eat )
But I got a fever after I came to Japan one day. I changed my plan a lot .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel