U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 AM

32 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

Not bothered by it, since I live in NW Ohio. Whatever we do have, isn't touristy. I have seen plates from several US states, most are just passing through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,420,083 times
No problem. Cash into the local economy. Some of the tourist attractions get crowded in the summer. We just wait until winter to do stuff. Weather is still good. We have a lot of relatives from Asia. Oddly enough one of the first things they want to do is eat at In-N -Out burger.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM

6,591 posts, read 10,333,021 times
While I don't have a problem with tourists, I do have a problem with tourons. You know, the idiots who'll walk right past the sign that says "Keep off the tundra" to take pictures, or try to climb up challenging alpine peaks in tennis shoes and jorts with a water bottle in one hand and a selfie stick in the other.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM

4,241 posts, read 2,623,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The Airbnb thread revealed some "not in my backyard" feelings about tourists. And as this is the travel forum most of the posters here have had to have been tourists themselves at some point.

So I'm wondering, how do you feel about tourists coming to your area? Are they an annoyance? Welcomed with open arms and celebrated? A necessary evil for the economy?
I live in Maui, Hawaii so tourism is a big deal here. And unlike some place that have a high/low season, it goes strong all times of the year here. I don't mind the tourists for the most part since everyday living is just different from what they do. The biggest impact for me is the roads and some of the drivers who bring mainland intensity (aggressive driving, honking, not stopping for pedestrians to cross the street). Tourism has an impact on the beaches and sea life, so it cannot grow much more without bad consequences.

As far as AirBnB - that is a huge controversy here. People, some who aren't even local residents, buy houses as an investment and turn them into vacation rentals. It is really hard on local people because they are priced out of the market. Maui is cracking down and restricting them, which I think is the right thing to do.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,006 posts, read 54,769,813 times
Working on the waterfront in Seattle, I find the throngs of tourists to be a bit annoying when driving home from work, and especially when the cruise ships return and the streets are clogged with taxis. Still, I realize the huge positive impact it has on the area economy, so I just deal with it until fall.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 AM

524 posts, read 355,480 times
No matter where I live, they show up, take over and destroy. First Napa Valley, then San Francisco, now Phoenix.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,260,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The Airbnb thread revealed some "not in my backyard" feelings about tourists. And as this is the travel forum most of the posters here have had to have been tourists themselves at some point.

So I'm wondering, how do you feel about tourists coming to your area? Are they an annoyance? Welcomed with open arms and celebrated? A necessary evil for the economy?

As a tourist yourself have you ever been anywhere that you felt truly unwelcome? Do you notice a difference when you stay in "tourist areas" versus mixing with the residents? Do you make an effort to blend in or do you think it's really not necessary?

Surprisingly, I like most tourists, as long as they leave and don't try to trash the place.

I've traveled around the US and Europe. Only place I've felt unwelcome was in Kansas City and St. Louis. I mean, their whole aura was bad. You would think I had slapped their kids and parents. Would never go there again without bodyguards or something. Salt Lake City and Denver were a bit better. Other US/European cities were super cool without any real problems.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 4,335 times
I don't mind so long as they follow rules and don't leave trash. News of tourists vandalizing places makes my blood boil sometimes, like why would anyone ever think of doing that?

Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM

3,556 posts, read 1,575,843 times
I was thankful for them as my job at a resort depended on them. I got to Moab, UT in 2004 so I had some "good old days" before the real influx happened and Hiltons were built! (moved away in 2015)
DH's business depended on them too: solar installations for off-the-grid vacation homes.

We used to go to Arches all the time and hike the unknown parts, or sneak in the back way. I think they are having to bring in a lottery now due to the crowds. There were never more than a few cars in line when I used to go. The crowds and new hotels all over town have really changed the vibe now, I've heard.

It's a spectacular place to live or visit, so I can't blame the tourists. Mostly Europeans in summer, and mountain bikers in spring/fall. Rafting down the Colorado River is just so awe-inspiring.

It was like living in a movie-set. Lots of Westerns and desert movies filmed there.

Where we are now, the snowbirds inundate our little condo complex in the winter, so we plan to be gone for those 3 months. Just feels kind of "overrun" (small place).

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 07-21-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old Today, 03:11 PM

524 posts, read 355,480 times
It's too much. Used to be just snowbirds coming to Phoenix in the summer. Now people come all year, fastest growing city in the country, three years and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or