U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM

318 posts, read 136,200 times

Advertisements

I don't mind as long as the community is prepared or willing to make it viable. Growing up Seattle wasn't much of a touristy place, but I feel that they've done a wonderful job (while failing in many other spots) making the city tourist friendly and it even makes it more enjoyable for the locals and surrounding areas to enjoy the new perks of living someplace where money flows in that can go back into making the community stand out.

The only issue I've experienced as both a resident and tourist myself is dealing with the typical disrespectful traveler. People who trample flora or blocks others views to get their picture at that instant. Or the few that find it important to trash everything because they feel spending money as a tourist gives them the right to respect others to pick up after themselves. Otherwise it seems to me that most tourist seem to actually treat cities better than the actual residents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:28 AM

1,126 posts, read 604,344 times
I would never have any idea who was a tourist and who wasn't. I live between a metro area with of 3.5 million people (Baltimore) and another metro area of 5 million (DC) that is by far and away the most transient in the US. People come from all over to live, work, stay and play. I would have no idea whether or not the guy wearing a Yankee's hat is here for a couple of hours or if he works at the Pentagon.

Perhaps it's more noticeable if you're in a town of 500 permanent residents, but you live by a lakeside that gets 100,000 travelers in the summer. If that's the case, why would you turn away the people who are providing your town with an economic raison d'etre? Surely people knew that going in when they decided to live there full time. I'm sure some people can be rude and annoying, but you just have to grin and bear it if you're a store owner. Otherwise I'm sure some residents could be taking their own trips elsewhere when the crowds swarm in.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,703 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Grew up in Estes Park Colorado....
Have since always lived in popular tourist areas. (including an island in Canada / Singapore / Thailand, Spain, Switzerland / Lake District UK)

Really NICE place to live off season.
Know where NOT to go during peak season!
Embrace the revenue.

Deal with the wear and tear. (Visitors are often not very considerate of your 'special environment')

Since we have been hosting guests (for free) for 30+ yrs in our own home (separate guest home or personal home) and did so as a child / grandchild... Sharing is part of our family culture. We often take guests on tours, provide Salmon and homemade Ice Cream, and pack them lunches to-go. Just the normal thing to do. (for free, such as today... guests arriving from 'flyover country').

Unwelcome? "Haole"... As a 'mainlander' ... I do not feel welcome in Hawaii.. so I no longer go there, except for business. (have family there, but they can wait, or come to the 'mainland' to visit.)

Old 05-09-2019, 11:58 AM

8,378 posts, read 6,213,687 times
I don't think that most people have a problem with tourists per se. Within the Air BnB thread its a complain about having tourists not in town, but next door. NIMBY with an extreme emphasis on the "B." That's totally understandable.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM

800 posts, read 377,540 times
I live an hour south of Jackson, Wyoming. We get a lot of tourists on their way to/from Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Tourists keep our economy strong, we need then and their money, since coal cannot sustain us we need to diversify. They come to our Valley in droves, and they help keep our local businesses going strong during the summer months. So I can see how important tourists are to our area especially.

However personally I can't stand driving in Jackson when it's tourist season, many of them are too concerned with getting a selfie next to the elk arch, or taking pictures of inane things that they run into the street in front of cars, or don't use the multiple cross walks provided throughout the town. They are unpredictable and potentially dangerous for those trying to drive to/from work or even just trying to get across town to the grocery store. I also find tourists from certain states to be dangerous/aggressive drivers and for our sleepy town's, with them going twenty or more miles above the speed limit, or passing in no passing areas is a recipe for an accident.

I am friendly to tourists, and as a frequent tourist myself I try to make sure I am obeying the rules/laws of the area I am in, and I try to be considerate of others as I am passing through. I can't think of any place in particular that I've been a tourist and treated harshly, except for in Helena, Montana. We were having a nice chat with an older couple while we were on a walk, but as soon as I mentioned we were visiting from California, they turned very cold on us, and quickly ended the conversation. I think that is the only time I can remember being treated poorly from being out of town. Now that I live in Wyoming I realize it had more to do with being from California, than it did with us being tourists.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:03 PM

38,157 posts, read 55,979,078 times
(Talking about my hometown, which is a resort/spa and gets during the season over 3M tourists)
They are important for the economy, as the peak season is max. 4 months long and many locals live of it comfortably the rest of the year.
But for the locals? The city is crowded, expensive (prices are way up during the season), loud, congested traffic, no parking spots (despite great public transportation). You see drunks, beggars, petty thieves, prostitutes - lots of opportunists come to try their luck.
Plethora of very pretty girls looking top-notch, hoping to meet interesting people from showbusiness or future husband's. Foreigners looking for business opportunities. You hear lots of foreign languages, see people wearing ethnic clothes, driving exotic cars. The restaurants and street cafes are always full. The city promenade is so congested that you have to walk the peace because it's hard to squeeze yourself through the mass of people.
Bars and clubs are open all night, hotels, campings, cabins, apartments and private rooms are booked in months in advance, and lots of unfortunate people sleep in their cars, parks and on the beach.
The city doesn't sleep during the season...

Curious?
https://discovercracow.com/poland-beautiful-places/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 05-09-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 02:57 PM

14,041 posts, read 7,483,637 times
I live in a coastal Massachusetts town that isn’t tourist friendly. The beaches are either private or require a town resident sticker. There are no hotels. Unless you’re paying big bucks for a weekly rental in a gated community with a private beach, there isn’t much water access. Same with the harbor. A private yacht club. Private marinas. With some local knowledge, you could launch a kayak or paddle board but it’s not tourist friendly.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM

6,360 posts, read 3,605,191 times
I think our town in southern MN welcomes tourists and has provided a lot of accommodations to make their stay pleasant. There is a rich history of the US and American Indian Wars here that has been preserved and is very informative.

The only place I've ever felt unwelcome was in a church (of all places) in Branson, Arkansas in the spring. I overheard a group of residents commenting on the large congregation that day and complaining, "Here come the tourists again."

All I could think was why in the world anyone would want to live in that massive traffic jam? Maybe if they'd all move out there would be room for people to get around to all the music shows.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM

9,549 posts, read 13,490,701 times
My husband travels to japan for work & some areas outside tokyo have signs “no foreigners” or “japanese only” ... a few restaurants would not serve him

Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,190,758 times
We get tourists in large numbers only a couple of weekends a year. They make driving around downtown a bit unpleasant, but apart from that they have no big negative impacts. I like them fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or