U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 11,150,024 times

Advertisements

We are very welcoming to tourists. We cant afford not to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 01:28 PM

14,018 posts, read 7,471,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am pretty sure the restaurant was already called The Back Eddy. This would have been around 1986 or 1987. It was not upscale by any measure; maybe it had just been bought and the workers hated having a new owner From Away (as they say in Maine). What was ironic about the treatment was I was NOT one of the moneyed class, just a worker bee who had ordered a very ordinary burger and have never owned a luxury vehicle, not even now.

Even then and even not having grown up in any of those towns, the split between Padanaram and other yachtie areas was evident. Westport Point seemed to be a bunch of New Yorkers’ second homes, a.k.a. beach “cottages.”
Google turns up a March 1999 Southcoast Today article about the new owners. The Boston chef who was one of the partners was Chris Schlesinger. It would have been Moby Dick in 1987.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM

383 posts, read 107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Honestly, the congestion and high land prices have already driven out many of the Amish as the young people do not have the necessary land to farm. MANY of the folks have moved west to Ohio where land is somewhat reasonable.
It's a common perception, but not true. The Amish population of the Lancaster county community roughly doubles every twenty years. It was 19K at the turn of the century, it's now 34K. They have a home grown increase at a rate of 4% + annually. In a county with over half a million people, the Amish are responsible for almost half of the population growth here, last year. Some will leave to start new communities, or move to other existing ones with less farming pressure. Most stay, as larger farms are divided into smaller ones, or they buy existing homes and farmettes from the "english", or simply move away from farming. Given that dairy farming, a preferred choice among the Amish, has been a money losing disaster for most of the last decade, many young Amish men find a lot more success in other work. Many are engaged in trades, and professions that have nothing to do with farming, from construction, to cabinet and furniture building, and manufacturing. The whole idea that if you are Amish, you are a farmer, is outdated. I have an Amish family living down the street from me, in a town a few minutes from the city. They live in a typical Cape Cod, and you could drive by for years and not notice that there is no electric meter, and a buggy in the garage. As for land prices, they are insane inside the county, and drop like a rock once you jump outside the county. There are daughter settlements being formed in southern York county, just across the river to the west. Large tracts of farmland, east of the river in LC, goes for up to $30K an acre. Cross that bridge and the same dirt is $7-10K.

Interesting story about the migration from Lancaster, that has somehow become a fact among the english. For some odd reason, I recently started seeing Amish on pedal bikes deep in Amish country, a few miles south of me. Local Amish only ride kick scooters. There were also some obvious differences in clothing on the bike riders. I asked the owner of the local bike shop about it. He told me that it is a new church district, that had relocated here from the Indiana community, and doesn't follow the local rules. So much for everybody heading west......................

Old 05-11-2019, 02:05 PM

627 posts, read 163,115 times
I live in Fort Lauderdale - tourists basically pay the bills that in turn allows us residents not having to pay State income taxes

... I just wish the ones from Montreal would learn how to drive!

Old 05-11-2019, 02:44 PM

56,320 posts, read 54,748,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I live in Fort Lauderdale - tourists basically pay the bills that in turn allows us residents not having to pay State income taxes

Found this amusing. I don't know anything about this stereotype, but the only person I know from Montreal is my niece's husband...who at the age of 42 JUST LEARNED TO DRIVE and got a license for the first time.

So there's one. (Not in Florida, though.)

Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 PM

383 posts, read 107,698 times
Quote:
As a Fl. snowbird and property owner, on the west coast, I'm thinking that might be the most polite comment I've ever heard when it comes to the Quebecois.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:26 PM

627 posts, read 163,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Found this amusing. I don't know anything about this stereotype, but the only person I know from Montreal is my niece's husband...who at the age of 42 JUST LEARNED TO DRIVE and got a license for the first time.

So there's one. (Not in Florida, though.)
I always joke that the motto on the Quebec license plate should be "Je ne me souviens" = I forgot (how to drive)

Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 3,671,896 times
Quote:

When I was a kid, we would spend our summers in Fort Lauderdale. Back then, it was mostly a winter vacation and spring break place, so in the summer we had the motel almost to ourselves. (I later learned that the owners gave us a huge discount, as we were almost their only source of income during those months, and they wanted to encourage us to come back again and again, which we did.) The owners were from Quebec and were very nice people. I still remember the Nous Parlons Francais sign with the Maple Leaf that they had in the window. It took me years before I discovered that Canada contained people whose primary language was something other than French!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 PM

5,476 posts, read 2,862,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Google turns up a March 1999 Southcoast Today article about the new owners. The Boston chef who was one of the partners was Chris Schlesinger. It would have been Moby Dick in 1987.
I believe you. It is just strange how I do not remember the name Moby Dick at all! Maybe a mental block against it.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 AM

2,767 posts, read 4,928,753 times
We live in the higher elevations of AZ. This area, specifically Prescott, was the territorial capital of AZ at one time and is some 20° cooler daily due to the average 5000' elevation in the mountains than the valley is in the summers.
As a result we get lots of tourists and people that live down below in the heat that want to travel to our town.
Motorcyclists enjoy the ride from Phoenix metro up through Prescott, over the hill through Jerome and to Sedona and Flagstaff too so we got lots of them.
As retirees we just avoid going downtown on summer weekends or when they have events planned in the courthouse square due to the traffic involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or