U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,947 posts, read 1,608,362 times
Reputation: 7989

Advertisements

NYC tourists = $$$ for locals & prosperity for the city. I try to avoid the "touristy areas" during peak season & Times Square at all times. It seems most folks enjoy at least one visit to Gotham since it is a different environment from their region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM
 
6,290 posts, read 2,918,289 times
Reputation: 15960
I work the hospitality industry. They are a blessing and a curse. Somehow our business is to have every culture diet on a menu...or provide services that are not in our realm to do.
During one staff gathering we spoke of how our locals who do the 'stay vacations" are more of an embarrassment as embassadors to our city. Their behavior puts us back to barbaric times...
We can notably understand when an out of towner or overseas person stays how it's uncomfortable when a local group takes up camp...gets rambunctious and decides to 'living la vedi loca' .
I try to keep in mind that tourism is an opportunity for leaving that first and lasting 'welcome' impression. Yet the reality is... we'll often miss the welcome goal ...and the tourist is left with the goodbye !

We each represent where we come from...if folks could remember that...do you really want to make that lasting impression of your area be...yeah that guy from zelbecky really makes me not want to go there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,485 posts, read 54,891,239 times
Reputation: 67097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
NYC tourists = $$$ for locals & prosperity for the city. I try to avoid the "touristy areas" during peak season & Times Square at all times. It seems most folks enjoy at least one visit to Gotham since it is a different environment from their region.
Haha, Yeah! But sometimes I have to attend work events at Rosie O'Grady's and then walk to Penn to go home, so it is unavoidable. Walking through Times Square is like a bad trip, and I look at all the tourists and wonder why the heck they go THERE of all places.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2019, 06:20 PM
 
12,325 posts, read 15,257,605 times
Reputation: 8126
Proud to see visitors from all over the world. Talk to them, you might learn something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 PM
 
9,261 posts, read 9,325,185 times
Reputation: 29045
This is somewhat of a difficult subject for me. When I grew up here in Utah we had the five national parks pretty much to ourselves. In fact, two of them (Arches and Capitol Reef) weren't even national parks yet. That didn't happen until I was high school age.

We do appreciate tourist dollars. And I do appreciate that people have as much right to visit the national parks in my state as I do. The parks here are a magnificent site and it doesn't surprise me at all that people from other states and foreign countries want to see them.

What is difficult are some of the drawbacks from this heavy tourism. Summer mornings, cars are often lined up for blocks trying to access some of the national parks here. Motel rates have gone through the roof in cities adjacent to the parks. Apparently, people from some places are willing to pay $150 to $250 a night for hotel rooms. In many ways, I feel pushed out of places that I visited and took for granted as a boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 AM
 
2 posts, read 532 times
Reputation: 10
Its depend on the tourist behaviour

but we also welcome with open arms and fun and enjoy with tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,485 posts, read 54,891,239 times
Reputation: 67097
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is somewhat of a difficult subject for me. When I grew up here in Utah we had the five national parks pretty much to ourselves. In fact, two of them (Arches and Capitol Reef) weren't even national parks yet. That didn't happen until I was high school age.

We do appreciate tourist dollars. And I do appreciate that people have as much right to visit the national parks in my state as I do. The parks here are a magnificent site and it doesn't surprise me at all that people from other states and foreign countries want to see them.

What is difficult are some of the drawbacks from this heavy tourism. Summer mornings, cars are often lined up for blocks trying to access some of the national parks here. Motel rates have gone through the roof in cities adjacent to the parks. Apparently, people from some places are willing to pay $150 to $250 a night for hotel rooms. In many ways, I feel pushed out of places that I visited and took for granted as a boy.
Some people wish they could get that cheap a rate on a hotel in NYC at certain times of the year!
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
 
9,587 posts, read 13,512,998 times
Reputation: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, Yeah! But sometimes I have to attend work events at Rosie O'Grady's and then walk to Penn to go home, so it is unavoidable. Walking through Times Square is like a bad trip, and I look at all the tourists and wonder why the heck they go THERE of all places.
LOL I hate Times Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,698 posts, read 3,727,549 times
Reputation: 12625
Tourists? Bring 'em on. With money. This is a gorgeous place to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,977 posts, read 22,217,496 times
Reputation: 10739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some people wish they could get that cheap a rate on a hotel in NYC at certain times of the year!
Yeah, but these places aren't NYC. In Springdale, Utah, which is right outside Zion National Park, it's hard to get a good hotel for under $200. And this is a town of less than 600 people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top