U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,223,510 times

Advertisements

The Airbnb thread revealed some "not in my backyard" feelings about tourists. And as this is the travel forum most of the posters here have had to have been tourists themselves at some point.

So I'm wondering, how do you feel about tourists coming to your area? Are they an annoyance? Welcomed with open arms and celebrated? A necessary evil for the economy?

As a tourist yourself have you ever been anywhere that you felt truly unwelcome? Do you notice a difference when you stay in "tourist areas" versus mixing with the residents? Do you make an effort to blend in or do you think it's really not necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 1,851 times
Welcomed with open arms and celebrated !absolutely
I thinks it is ok. It is not a big problem when my area is "tourist areas" . I will have chance to talk to foreigner. It will be interesting. It help my area develop fast.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 AM

1,809 posts, read 813,445 times
Tourists = $$$

I never felt unwelcome as a tourist anywhere.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 AM

239 posts, read 130,311 times
Well, considering I work for a Convention & Visitors' Bureau, if we didn't have tourists I'd be out of a job! I admit, in our area, it does really clog up traffic during the summer/fall months and it gets frustrating when I'm just trying to get home.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM

56,274 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The Airbnb thread revealed some "not in my backyard" feelings about tourists. And as this is the travel forum most of the posters here have had to have been tourists themselves at some point.

So I'm wondering, how do you feel about tourists coming to your area? Are they an annoyance? Welcomed with open arms and celebrated? A necessary evil for the economy?

As a tourist yourself have you ever been anywhere that you felt truly unwelcome? Do you notice a difference when you stay in "tourist areas" versus mixing with the residents? Do you make an effort to blend in or do you think it's really not necessary?
Doesn't bother me. Spent most of my life working in a tourist area (NYC/WTC), and for the past ten years have lived in one (Jersey shore area).

Of course we complain about the tourists infesting lower Manhattan when we are just trying to get to work and/or walk to meetings and how they STOP DEAD in the middle of the sidewalk with a thousand people behind them or stand there gape-mouthed and unready when it's their turn to order food at the delis and hold everyone else up, but it's really minor complaining. We know tourists will always come from all over the world to New York City and that's it's a major part of the economy.

Same with the shore and the "Bennies" (name for summer people). The traffic gets horrendous, the teenagers and young adults come down and get drunk out of their minds and sometimes wreak havoc, but it's a huge part of the economy here, too. A bad summer can ruin businesses.

I've never felt unwelcome anywhere, but I do try to read and get a feel for local customs before I go anywhere. For example, the first time I went to the Bahamas, I read that Bahamians feel that some Americans are rude because they walk right up and start asking questions without first saying "Good morning" or "Good afternoon", as is considered polite.

So I made sure I started any conversations that way when I went, and people were very nice and helpful. Same with the expected "Bonjour" in Paris when entering a restaurant. I only ever encountered one rude person, and that was a guy at a little grocery store in Paris who seemed disgusted that I didn't speak French. Just shook it off. Basically, I remember that I am a guest in their country. Or state, as the case may be.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:21 AM

651 posts, read 245,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

Our current city (Greensboro) isn't exactly a tourist town, but I'd have no problem with tourists. I'd be a hypocrite if I did, as I love to expand my own horizons in new locales.

Quote:
Never truly felt unwelcome, although I thought people in Dallas were kind of stuck-up. Seattle a little bit as well. We prefer to stay in "non-tourist" areas if possible. For example, we did a trip to Orlando and made it a point to find lodging in a place that was NOT in the SW part of the metro, thus we were away from the theme parks and associated attractions.

The general rule (as with most things in life): don't be a d***. I think most people, tourist or not, follow this. It's the few bad folks or negative interactions that get people all up in arms saying "OMG these damn tourists!!"

Old 05-09-2019, 10:37 AM

5,471 posts, read 2,859,772 times
Depends on the tourist. The ones who obey all laws, respect property both public and private, and act like regular people (not some sort of entitled gift to the locals) are welcome even though crowding is sometimes hard to tolerate.

The ones who throw their money weight around or do the opposite thing, plead mercy for showing up broke and intending to mooch, are not welcome.

I read about two brothers who announced they were taking a long bicycle camping trip on which they intentionally made NO motel or campground reservations and would not do so when on the road, either. They said they were going to live off the generosity and goodwill of landowners and people they encountered. I snorted in derision, because they were going to suck dry the milk of human kindness, sowing a path of weary suspicion towards any other longhaul cyclists. In the past, when bike camping was a craze, asking to camp on private farmland was strictly an emergency request, such as finding the public campgrounds all full due to arriving later in the day than car or RV campers.

A very brief follow-up article on that trip only noted that they did not have much luck with their plan-less plan. They even hinted that there had been some hostility towards them. Well, duh. Must have been kids who won trophies for showing up at a game.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM

17,329 posts, read 19,603,768 times
A lot of tourists come to Washington, DC and that is a good thing.

People should learn and enjoy all they can about DC.

As well as any other place that interests them.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,667,782 times
Tourists are just fine by me. In Williamsburg, they're a big reason taxes are low here (property tax is just 0.65, almost half of what I paid in northern VA.).

Thanks to the tourists we have all sorts of restaurants and things to do, a nice local medical center, and an Amtrak stop. The landscaping is kept up, and the roads are well maintained. Plus, this place was a tourist town long before I moved here. I really don't think you should move to a tourist town if you're the type who complains about the tourists, LOL.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-09-2019 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,496,789 times
I live in Southern California.. I don't blame people coming to visit!

I've felt welcome everywhere I have traveled (30+ states and 20+ countries, some multiple times) with the exception of Morocco and maybe Jamaica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or