U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info about the riding platform, which may have been available in the 15-minute video, but not mentioned by the OP.

Riding horses still have to be "broken" and so do hunting dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,636 posts, read 3,687,967 times
No, I would not do that. I think it's exploitation of animals and it's not necessary. I can have a good time on a trip without riding an elephant.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, I would not do that. I think it's exploitation of animals and it's not necessary. I can have a good time on a trip without riding an elephant.

You can definitely have a good time without riding a Camel. Riding a camel is the antithesis of having a good time.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 AM

3,908 posts, read 1,663,706 times
Amazing Race just visited Thailand and racers rode elephants. There were no wooden platforms, just a single rider on the elephant's neck. Nobody appeared to be using goads of any kind, not even the guy whose elephant wouldn't move.

From reading this thread, that sounds like a non-abusive way for the elephants to earn their keep.

I assume some people do abuse and overwork elephants, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

BTW, is it ethical to own a picture painted by an elephant, or is that abuse, too?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 AM

12,321 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Amazing Race just visited Thailand and racers rode elephants. There were no wooden platforms, just a single rider on the elephant's neck. Nobody appeared to be using goads of any kind, not even the guy whose elephant wouldn't move.

From reading this thread, that sounds like a non-abusive way for the elephants to earn their keep.

I assume some people do abuse and overwork elephants, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

BTW, is it ethical to own a picture painted by an elephant, or is that abuse, too?
The amazing race use of elephants hasn't gone unnoticed, I found more than a few articles on of complaint in a google search:
https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/368/283/798/

The abuse isn't really in riding them, but in breaking them so that they are tame enough to be gentle around tourist. Actually they don't call it breaking, they call it "crushing". This is not like breaking a horse who are mostly bred as somewhat domesticated animals and often begins it's training by imprinting at a very young age with humans, these are wild animals - often poached in neighboring countries, parents are killed, ivory taken, and babies captured, sold to these tourist centers. They use physical punishment to crush them.

Elephant painting, if they are doing it as part of a tourist show it's likely the elephants have also been abused in order to goad them to "perform":
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/elephant-painting/

"Other critics contend that not only is the elephant painting phenomenon a misleading show put on to garner money from tourists, but that the animals who participate in it have been abused; therefore, visitors to Thailand should shun the purchase of such works..."

Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM

How are we going to continue psych research, if it is cruel to chickens to withhold the corn kernel when they peck the wrong button?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM

2,781 posts, read 1,020,601 times
I rode an elephant once back in 2003 when I was in Thailand but haven’t since.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM

12,321 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How are we going to continue psych research, if it is cruel to chickens to withhold the corn kernel when they peck the wrong button?
I don't get your analogy at all, unless you are posting in a wrong thread then intended.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 PM

4,301 posts, read 6,883,674 times
.... here ya go..... just in from National Geographic

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...id=12917024995

Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
.... here ya go..... just in from National Geographic

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...id=12917024995

Most of us don't click blind links without a hint what it's going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or