U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 AM

788 posts, read 728,077 times

Advertisements

I donít use travel site for airfare because I donít fly.

For hotels, I have to agree with you. I donít see the point of travel sites. I can get the same price if I book directly with the hotel. Cheaper, if I become a member to earn points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 AM

2,088 posts, read 710,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post

For hotels, I have to agree with you. I donít see the point of travel sites. I can get the same price if I book directly with the hotel. Cheaper, if I become a member to earn points.
There's one exception to this; a few sites sell hotel rooms at a lower rate than booking directly but they charge you 100% up front with no refunds, and sometimes they don't award loyalty points. I've taken deals such as this- sometimes not realizing till after the fact that they don't come with any loyalty points- but if you know the conditions and are OK with not being able to cancel they can be a good deal.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 AM

3,662 posts, read 6,484,389 times
I love Hotels.com, I use them frequently to take advantage of the buy 10 get 1 free rooms, we usually earn at least a free night once a year. We just earned a $140 free night.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM

989 posts, read 594,294 times
Some are really bad too. I booked a flight on Momondo, which is supposed to be the best for airfares, right?

Routed me to some sketchy booking agency, who called the next day to say the flight was full. Offered me some crappy alternative that cost way more money.

It's a racket.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:09 PM

3,966 posts, read 1,695,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post

Another issue with the aggregators is that a lot of times they lose the reservations. That happened to me the last time I used one about a year ago for a stay that was over a week. Two of us who were checking in at the same time had used the same aggregator and both of us had our reservations lost. They were never able to find the reservation, but luckily they still had a room available the whole time and were able to give me the same price. I have seen that with other people in line in front of me when I went directly to the hotel website and they booked through aggregators. I had another friend who booked something through one and they told her it was a mistake and could not honor it.

That said, I have had much better luck using them when I go to Europe. I donít have loyalty points with those brands and in many cases the websites are confusing about the bed setup, so some aggregators are quite helpful.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM

9,143 posts, read 3,000,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am trying to book a flight out of Philly to points west. Every travel site I went to quotes ticket prices that are identical. Expedia, Booking, Priceline, you name it. They are all the same and actually no different from the airline reservation site. Even more silly are the consolidators like Kayak. When there are no real options, whats the point?
Many large companies produce and market multiple brands of services and goods. They seem to think that they'll end up with a larger slice of the pie, by doing so. Not all these duplications of marketing-brands and products by single companies are openly acknowledged and sometimes they appear to be advertising and competing against themselves. But if they didn't come out ahead with this practice, they probably wouldn't be doing it.

I once worked for a large, local company. There was a smaller company, in a nearby smaller town, that produced a similar product. We were constantly pitted against this other company and the owners complained about losing business to it. But many years later, it became known that these same people had secretly owned both companies for decades.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
I often get a lower fare by buying sequential tickets, like IAH-IST and then IST-FRU, which is cheaper than IAH-FRU through quotes. I go to ITA for the lowest of each of them. Then to CheapOair to buy both because I.ve learned to navigate their site quickly, I've had good follow experience with them, can buy all tickets same place, and they will price-match a lower fare.

You also need to know about international carriers whose low fares can be bought only direct from the airline, like Air Asia and Cebu Pacific.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:43 AM

5,935 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am trying to book a flight out of Philly to points west. Every travel site I went to quotes ticket prices that are identical. Expedia, Booking, Priceline, you name it. They are all the same and actually no different from the airline reservation site. Even more silly are the consolidators like Kayak. When there are no real options, whats the point?
Your premise is flawed because they aren't all the same. I'll show you an example.

If I want to fly from Madrid to NY on October 11 and enter that into Expedia, I get best deal as TAP with one stop for $233.

If I go check Momondo they show best deal is Norwegian with a direct flight for $160. They also show the same TAP flight as Expedia, but I've got other options on here.

Kiwi also shows that Norwegian deal (for a bit higher price) but also has some completely different options that aren't listed on either Expedia or Momondo.

When I click through to Norwegian's website sure enough they have that flight as bookable for the low price:

By not assuming all travel sites are the same I'd save $73 and have a much shorter direct flight. Also, some booking sites (like Kiwi) show a lot more options from itineraries they build from unrelated airlines. Obviously you take a risk since if one flight gets delayed enough you might not make the second and since unrelated bookings you're stuck working with Kiwi to figure it out but if there is enough time between flights it can be a reasonable option. We once booked a flight through Kiwi with had a combination of Air Kenya and Mango Air that saved us hundreds of dollars each, I'd have never been able (or at least known) to put that itinerary together.

YMMV

Last edited by lieqiang; 05-16-2019 at 01:10 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 AM

5,935 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Some are really bad too. I booked a flight on Momondo, which is supposed to be the best for airfares, right?

Routed me to some sketchy booking agency, who called the next day to say the flight was full. Offered me some crappy alternative that cost way more money.

It's a racket.
I think you are misunderstanding how aggregator sites work. All they are doing is showing the prices offered by various booking sites, which include the airline sites themselves and various 3rd party booking sites. It's pretty clear who you are booking with, and when you click it says "transferring you to xyz site" for you to book there.

From example above, if I click on that Norwegian flight I get the price for that flight from each vendor, in this case it happens to be the airline website itself that offers the best price. This isn't always the case, sometimes a 3rd party site has a better price than the airline. At the very least an aggregator makes you aware of your options, someone might not have known that Norwegian or TAP even existed to consider using them for this flight.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM

989 posts, read 594,294 times
I'm aware that it transfers me to a 3rd party site. My point is the 3rd party sites are often terrible and unreliable, and don't have the flights they say they do. So when you pull up on the fares on Momondo, you can't rely on what you see. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or