Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 AM

317 posts, read 370,697 times

Advertisements

Will traveling back to USA from China after two years working/teaching. We'll only be there for 1 1/2 months before next overseas assignment. I'm curious as to the culture shock that will take place when I arrive? What reverse culture shock have others experienced? We'll be returning to Sf Bay Area - I think that biggest shock will being able to communicate with everyone and being able to read signs with Roman letters! And paying $3+ dollars for a beer instead of .50 for a Tsingtao, and Tipping which is unheard of in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 02:57 AM

4,289 posts, read 3,990,008 times
I lived all over the world with my work as well studies. But I have no idea what you are saying as reverse culture shock. Why do you think that 2 years is a big time to forget everything? If you know the roman letters you know it right nothing to learn new. Yes I understand you worked with Chinese language in China but come on...

Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
If you were already from the USA... No problem. For your kids born and raised elsewhere.... They will have an adjustment, all be it a pleasant one. ( no more peeing in the street, or they will be listed in USA for life as a sexual predator.)

Been living and working overseas for 30 yrs, but I am USA based (until I find a permanent international Healthcare solution).

You have changed, but your friends an family have not. Just like a 50th high school reunion.... Many people are still in the same clic and reliving HS, as they have for 50 yrs. you made a different choice +/-. Each to his own.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,021,329 times
If you are only planning to be back in the USA for a month and half, then you should feel like a visitor and not really experience real reverse culture shock (and I am speaking from personal experience).

Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
you may find yourself here during a bizarre presidential election in which the choices are between a crazy rich guy, an elderly spinster and the wife of a former president.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM

306 posts, read 333,603 times
Reverse culture shock CAN be real, but it isn't always.
It isn't in forgetting your culture, or language, or anything like that, but things can be a tad overwhelming for some. I don't know how adept you are at Mandarin (or Cantonese, depending on where you were), but if you weren't able to understand conversations of people in public places in China, than returning to the USA and understanding every word that everyone is speaking can, at first, be overstimulating. I lived in eastern Africa for a bit and I do not know bantu languages, so hearing people talk but not understanding became normal. Return home and boom! I can understand everything, and my brain kept trying to take in every word. Very tiring for the first couple days. I lived in an extremely impoverished area as well, so returning home to see Americans complain over luxuries and petty things also created some unexpected anger in me. I also returned to home and was surrounded by people who couldn't relate to the experience that I had just had, so not being to talk about it in a meaningful (for lack of a better term) way was often frustrating.

People respond differently. Reverse culture shock isn't as...shocking...as "regular" culture shock, but it certainly does exist.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,336,953 times
I have heard of it happening to people who'd been away working in developing countries for many years... they come back to live in a Western country, after having been accustomed to another culture plus extreme poverty for a long while, and the difference is jarring. Not sure if you'd experience full-blown culture shock after two years away -- but you'd certainly see everyday life in a new light.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 PM

460 posts, read 775,255 times
Only $3 for a beer in the bay area? Try $6-7, especially if it is something drinkable.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:29 AM

317 posts, read 370,697 times
yes, another reason to stay overseas! you can earn good money in china and depending on your tastes, save lots of money! When I went back for a quick visit last summer, I couldnt' believe how expensive Northern California was (difficult to eat out for anything less than $20 a person) ?

Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
Earn even more money working in foreign war zones. My tenant has logged 10 yrs in middle east @ $200k/ yr. tax free, he gets paid travel to VERY nice locations every 8 weeks.

Reverse culture shock may kill him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel