U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM

14,662 posts, read 9,717,068 times

Advertisements

I am trying to book a flight out of Philly to points west. Every travel site I went to quotes ticket prices that are identical. Expedia, Booking, Priceline, you name it. They are all the same and actually no different from the airline reservation site. Even more silly are the consolidators like Kayak. When there are no real options, whats the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am trying to book a flight out of Philly to points west. Every travel site I went to quotes ticket prices that are identical. Expedia, Booking, Priceline, you name it. They are all the same and actually no different from the airline reservation site. Even more silly are the consolidators like Kayak. When there are no real options, whats the point?
All about 'hits' / winning that $$ and rep. points.

Many travel sites are now owned by same parent company. Too bad.
They often are identical pricing... (same data). Just like when the autodealers bought Autotrader website to control traffic and direct and ruined the FSBO marketing.

For Air... I suggest start with Google flights, then go to specific airline websites. If you have an itinerary change, you will be very glad you booked direct with carrier.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
I go to a travel site because sometimes two airlines go the same place, and might not tell me about each other.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Because most of them are leftovers from twenty years ago when the 'world wide web's was being born.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
And every once in awhile there ARE inconsistencies. I generally use Orbitz and then book through the airline's web site- I feel mildly guilty for freeloading on Orbitz but I figure that adding them into the middle of the transaction just adds another layer where something can go wrong. When I booked a flight to Europe last year and was watching airfares, I found one on Orbitz that was $300 less (in Business Class) than on the airline's site for the same itinerary. I grabbed it.

I've never bothered with Kayak, Expedia, etc.- just more companies that will dump spam into my In Box and keep displaying banner ads for the destinations I've searched. I think the real savings is in timing- monitoring posted fares, knowing what the going rate is and then grabbing something fast if you see a good rate. I know some sites will do that for you but haven't tried them.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM

905 posts, read 465,223 times
Quote:

You have to realize, all those sites, they are all basically owned by the same two companies. As example,
Expedia’s holdings include:
BedandBreakfast.com
CarRentals.com
CheapTickets
Classic Vacations
Ebookers
Egencia
Expedia.com
Expedia Affiliate Network
Expedia Local Expert
Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Expedia Global Partner Solutions
HomeAway
Hotels.com
Hotwire Group
Orbitz
Travelocity
trivago-------------Yep, even Trivago!
Venere.com
VRBO
wotif
ALICE

Booking Holdings owns:
Booking.com
Priceline.com
Agoda.com
Kayak.com
Cheapflights
Rentalcars.com
momondo
Mundi
OpenTable

So you see, there wont see much difference in pricing by using them.

Options, book direct with the airline or hotel!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 AM

937 posts, read 257,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And every once in awhile there ARE inconsistencies. I generally use Orbitz and then book through the airline's web site- I feel mildly guilty for freeloading on Orbitz but I figure that adding them into the middle of the transaction just adds another layer where something can go wrong. When I booked a flight to Europe last year and was watching airfares, I found one on Orbitz that was $300 less (in Business Class) than on the airline's site for the same itinerary. I grabbed it.

I've never bothered with Kayak, Expedia, etc.- just more companies that will dump spam into my In Box and keep displaying banner ads for the destinations I've searched. I think the real savings is in timing- monitoring posted fares, knowing what the going rate is and then grabbing something fast if you see a good rate. I know some sites will do that for you but haven't tried them.
OTOH, you could also feel guilty for booking through one of these sites rather than with the airline directly. I would often search for hotels with Agoda and then book directly with the hotel. (Not sure about the airfare-booking sites, but I know Agoda has a set of rules hotels need to follow {which can be good in some cases}, hotels have to pay extra fees, etc. I've used them at times I think there could be a language barrier in booking directly, especially if the hotel's website doesn't have online booking; I figure it would cut down on misunderstandings.)

Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
You have to realize, all those sites, they are all basically owned by the same two companies. As example,
Expedia’s holdings include:
BedandBreakfast.com
CarRentals.com
CheapTickets
Classic Vacations
Ebookers
Egencia
Expedia.com
Expedia Affiliate Network
Expedia Local Expert
Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Expedia Global Partner Solutions
HomeAway
Hotels.com
Hotwire Group
Orbitz
Travelocity
trivago-------------Yep, even Trivago!
Venere.com
VRBO
wotif
ALICE

Booking Holdings owns:
Booking.com
Priceline.com
Agoda.com
Kayak.com
Cheapflights
Rentalcars.com
momondo
Mundi
OpenTable

So you see, there wont see much difference in pricing by using them.

Options, book direct with the airline or hotel!

They may all be owned by the same overlord, but each one has its own management, whi sets pricing and policy according to what it sees as its market.

Zales, Kay and Jared are all owned by tha same company, but that doesn't mean the same watch is the same price at every store.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
Quote:

$$$

Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 AM

2,393 posts, read 912,016 times
Some are older and useless sites IMO. But people keep clicking on them and the owners are still collecting revenue from said clicks. Most the time the price is similar by purchasing a flight, or cheaper, directly from the airlines website themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or