Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:12 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That's probably PriorityPass "Select"- it doesn't cover all lounges. You can tell from the PriorityPass site which are included. Not a bad deal, though, if it covers lounges you're likely to use.
No clue, but its worked at any PP lounge I've tried it at (probably 6 different ones in Europe in the last few months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I really don't have the experience to say. I have only been to a few lounges: United Clubs at LAX and ATL and The Club at PHX. I had United Club passes that I never used for about 7 years and Priority Pass for about 2 years and I never really got the concept of going to lounges unless I was on a layover, which was quite rare. It wasn't until Priority Pass started adding restaurants that I started occasionally arriving at airports to partake in the free food, when I realized it's not a bad deal to just arrive early and not have to rush through traffic/security and just relax before boarding. Especially now that I have two young kids.

So, in the past 1.5 years I have been to lots of PP restaurants, and this summer I imagine I'll get a much better idea of lounges as I'll be hitting about 10 different airports in Asia that have lounges. Maybe I will report back at that time.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
I have had free access to Delta lounges for several years. You would have to be more specific about which lounge in which airport you may be referring to since no two are alike.
If in ATL I like the one in the E concourse, and avoid all others unless I happen to be there mid week.
In DTW, I prefer the one in the center of the A concourse.

IMO, the lounges were ruined once they allowed people in with just CC access. I sometimes find more peace sitting out in the terminal somewhere.

And finally, they should never allow kids in any of the lounges.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I have had free access to Delta lounges for several years. You would have to be more specific about which lounge in which airport you may be referring to since no two are alike.
If in ATL I like the one in the E concourse, and avoid all others unless I happen to be there mid week.
In DTW, I prefer the one in the center of the A concourse.

IMO, the lounges were ruined once they allowed people in with just CC access. I sometimes find more peace sitting out in the terminal somewhere.

I'm guessing here. I imagine that they opened up the lounges because few people were using them and they may have been operating at a loss. They probably reasoned it made more sense to open them up to a greater number of people even if the "per person reimbursement" was less.

However, you are right. Many lounges are now crowded to the point where I have no desire to use them.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I really don't have the experience to say. I have only been to a few lounges: United Clubs at LAX and ATL and The Club at PHX. I had United Club passes that I never used for about 7 years and Priority Pass for about 2 years and I never really got the concept of going to lounges unless I was on a layover, which was quite rare. It wasn't until Priority Pass started adding restaurants that I started occasionally arriving at airports to partake in the free food, when I realized it's not a bad deal to just arrive early and not have to rush through traffic/security and just relax before boarding. Especially now that I have two young kids.

So, in the past 1.5 years I have been to lots of PP restaurants, and this summer I imagine I'll get a much better idea of lounges as I'll be hitting about 10 different airports in Asia that have lounges. Maybe I will report back at that time.
The Club at PHX is the worst one I have ever been to, so, it should be uphill from there!!!!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Another possibility is to purchase PriorityPass directly from them. The cheapest membership is $99 annually, and you pay $32 each time you enter a Club (and $32 per guest). This used to be a far better deal- years ago it would get you into any Delta Club, for example- but it worked well in the years when I was traveling on business on a mix of airlines and DH and I did some leisure travel. Their web site lets you search for lounges in various airports.
Groupon usually has a deal for the membership and the Select Plan (the one that comes with 10 visits) works out to about $223 with the discounts. If you are a fairly frequent traveler this is a pretty good deal, especially if you travel internationally. I have used it in Madrid and that was a really nice lounge, I think in general the ones in the US aren't that great so I would recommend reading lounge reviews before deciding to use a visit.

The other good side effect of having a lounge subscription is that it can turn a chronic late arriver into someone who wants to arrive early in order to enjoy a lounge's amenities. I'm usually one that likes to arrive a few minutes before the plane boards but now if I know the lounge I have access to is really nice I will show up to the airport much earlier.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
It is my dearest wish never to see the inside of an airport lounge again.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I've used the Lounge Buddy app before and have gotten access to lounges at different prices. Not too expensive if I'm stuck in an airport for 4-6 hours which is too short to leave.

Also a plus if I need to shower.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:31 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post

They definitely got more crowded now, which is why some places impose time limits and some airlines won't let you buy a day pass unless you're flying on that airline. PriorityPass' offer of restaurant credits is probably also meant to alleviate crowding in the clubs.

I have mixed feelings on kids in the clubs. Certainly they take up space and some can be unruly, but I started taking DS when he was 12 and have taken my granddaughter in at age 4 (last year) and after she turned 5 this year. In both cases the kids behaved well- enjoying the munchies but not making a mess of them, and carrying on quiet conversations with me. I'd told my granddaughter several times on that trip that I was glad I could bring her into places like airline clubs and hotel restaurants because I knew she was grown-up enough to behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The Club at PHX is the worst one I have ever been to, so, it should be uphill from there!!!!
When I entered The Club at DFW, the attendant "suggested" a nearby seat (a cushy chair with a desk that swung in front to hold your computer and food). That, it turned out, was just about the only available one. Not the best lounge I've ever been in.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm guessing here. I imagine that they opened up the lounges because few people were using them and they may have been operating at a loss. They probably reasoned it made more sense to open them up to a greater number of people even if the "per person reimbursement" was less.

However, you are right. Many lounges are now crowded to the point where I have no desire to use them.
I think the era of 'club access' has run it's course. Just transit SIN (Changi) if possible! Even tho they have some great clubs... there is much NICE stuff to see and do for 'normal people' (That is most of us...fewer companies and private springing for first class anything... just Get on and GO!, get it over with.)

I did appreciate a club in BKK when we had an 8 hr transit, but even BKK has planty of nice things to see and do... just not the 'theme park' (Garden) of SIN. Changi also offers FREE city tours for transiting passengers!
Welcome | Changi Airport Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel