U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in all your opinions. First, I'll give mine though.

1. Delta Sky Club is probably the best in terms of being the least crowded. However, its the hardest to gain access too. I can access it with my American Express platinum card. However, they are very stingy. You cannot bring even one guest (your spouse)with you unless you are willing to pay a significant fee. Plus, you have to be flying Delta that day and not another airline.

2. American Express Centurion Lounges. Good lounges that offer some buffet meals as well as the usual free drinks. The problem is that there aren't enough of these lounges. I understand they are expanding and constructing lounges in the Denver airport and at LAX. However, to the best of my knowledge these lounges are not up and running yet. The American Express platinum card allows you access to these lounges and lets you bring at least one other person with you. You also get access to the Priority Pass lounges with this card.

3. Priority Pass Lounges. Are available to those holding a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. However, many people do have the Sapphire Reserve Card and as a result, Priority Pass lounges are among the most crowded that I have found. I've gone in to a few--taken one look around at the crowds--and walked right out of two or three. On the bright side, Priority Pass does allow you to bring at least one other person with you. There aren't a lot of Priority Pass lounges in the USA, but they are quite common in Europe and in other parts of the world.

Many lounges have time limits that may or may not be enforced. Some have as short as a two hour time limit. The facilities available at different lounges may vary considerably. Some have a place to sit down and offer little more than free drinks. Others even have buffet meals and offer private showers.

Where do you think the best lounges are? What does it take to access them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 AM

12,252 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Depends on the airport as well. I've been to some Delta Sky Club's with crappy internet, screaming children, small and hot...literally some I've left to get into the peace and quite of the main public section.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,481,485 times
I've been to a couple pretty nice PP ones recently in Europe.. The one in Wroclaw, while small, was nice and had great snacks and drinks.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 PM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
In general, the European lounges are better. The ones in the US are just starting to catch up; I used the Polaris Lounge at ORD when flying United to Edinburgh and it was fantastic- even had showers and there was a wide variety of very good food. It's available only if you've got an international Business Class ticket, though, and they don't sell day passes.

Not impressed with PriorityPass anymore; not enough availability in the US and some are below par- The Club at DFW was crowded and only marginally better than sitting in the gate area, IMO.

If I flew a particular airline a lot I'd maybe get a membership in their club; as it is, I tend to pick the one with the best schedule and price. I think that's still the best deal. Not so hot if you're flying an airline out of another terminal, though, and have to exit landside to get to your flight and then go through the TSA mess again.

In my case, it's a mix of flying Business Class on long-hauls and using the lounge if I have access to one (very annoyed that AA doesn't allow it on my flight to Hawaii in November because it's not international) and buying a day pass if I have a long layover and the airline I'm flying has a decent club.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:35 PM

37,945 posts, read 55,692,297 times
US airports and lounges are nothing to be proud of. Not comparable with any of those, and this is just a small selection.
Curious, see here:
https://www.therichest.com/travel/25...und-the-world/
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/wor...rport-lounges/
https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/t...rport-w432847/

Entry usually requires the purchase of a business- or first-class ticket, and some V.I.P. lounges charge thousands of dollars per visit.

The best in the US is probably in Los Angeles. I don't remember the lounge name. To access you need to fly first class on a Star Alliance carrier departing that day. If you want to bring a guest, they'll have to be on your same flight. You can also buy a $4,500 annual membership.

Then maybe: American Airlines Flagship Lounge at John F. Kennedy International Airport (Delta's Sky Club lounge at Terminal 4. You need SkyMiles frequent flyer program and have Diamond Medallion status OR purchase a 1-year membership.)

American Express Centurion Lounge at LaGuardia Airport, PLUS several others across the US. The lounges are only for holders of its Platinum and Centurion credit cards.

and United's Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport. This one is available only to passengers flying in its Polaris business class and first class on long-haul international flights. Similar in Newark, Chicago and Houston.

Here is a list of the top 10 Airport Lounges in the U.S. & how to gain access:

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/top...o-gain-access/

Here is a list of the best credit cards for airport lounge access:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-...lounge-access/

Another list:

https://upgradedpoints.com/how-to-ac...irport-lounges
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM

887 posts, read 458,017 times
I like the AA lounges at LAX and here at ORD. Always a nice selection of food items, amenities, one can find a quiet area to work or relax and they're comfortable.

I also like the 51st & Green Lounge in Dublin. Though it doesn't have a large food selection, the area is large area so it doesn't feel crowded, there are great views of aircraft landings/takeoffs and has some nice comfortable seating.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I've been to a couple pretty nice PP ones recently in Europe.. The one in Wroclaw, while small, was nice and had great snacks and drinks.

I just got it, but was pleasantly surprised to find one even in Iquitos! Yeah, I'm a Chase guy, and only used it a couple of times, but it was really nice. Heck, just having the food/drinks and a place to sit is pretty sweet.

That said, I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Another possibility is to purchase PriorityPass directly from them. The cheapest membership is $99 annually, and you pay $32 each time you enter a Club (and $32 per guest). This used to be a far better deal- years ago it would get you into any Delta Club, for example- but it worked well in the years when I was traveling on business on a mix of airlines and DH and I did some leisure travel. Their web site lets you search for lounges in various airports.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:29 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,481,485 times
I get 10 Free Visits a year with one of my Hilton Credit Cards.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I get 10 Free Visits a year with one of my Hilton Credit Cards.
That's probably PriorityPass "Select"- it doesn't cover all lounges. You can tell from the PriorityPass site which are included. Not a bad deal, though, if it covers lounges you're likely to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or