U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:43 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,154,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am not doubting that itís barbaric there, but if that is the case, why are people not just leaving? Or do they not even have the freedom to just leave the country?
The women can't leave. Got to have a male relative accompany you in order to exit the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM

9,888 posts, read 8,169,268 times
Quote:
I am not doubting that itís barbaric there, but if that is the case, why are people not just leaving? Or do they not even have the freedom to just leave the country?

Sorry for my lack of being informed
Men tightly control the women of their family. Theyíve even developed apps to warn if one of their women is going outside a certain range or going to places he prohibited them from entering.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM

37,987 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Men tightly control the women of their family. They’ve even developed apps to warn if one of their women is going outside a certain range or going to places he prohibited them from entering.
Yup. This:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/w...app-women.html

Read the comments/ratings
It's OK with Google play, I guess...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gov.moi&hl=en
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM

15,224 posts, read 8,523,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ There are "barbaric" rituals around the world. Depends on your view and classification.
Stoning - currently, stoning is legal in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Sudan, Iran, and parts of Nigeria and is typically used as a punishment for adulterers. In Nigeria amputation for theft is perfectly acceptable; flogging and caning are common occurrences in Singapore. It didn't stop people from traveling there.
Witch hunts in New Guinea
Slavery - very common, in fact. Currently, there are between 10-30 million slaves worldwide - more than at any other single point in history. Yes, even during the eighteenth centuryóthe zenith of the African slave tradeóthere were only six million slaves transported out of Africa. All across the globe, men, women, and children are abducted or tricked into capture and forced into debt slavery, the sex trade, and various other forms of exploitation.
In the US alone there are an estimated 100,000 children trapped in the sex trade; human trafficking worldwide has grown to a US$32 billion business, and is soon expected to surpass the drug trade. So, please, spare me with this BS.
Child-selling Hey, you can sell your child to get ...a (used) Miata...
Child Slave Labor Inc.
Cannibalism - Again New Guinea ( and people travel there)
Human Sacrifice and tradition of Sati. Oh, that's in India and Uganda. People travel there...
Public Execution - Iran, China
Female Genital Mutilation Itís mostly done in parts of Africa and the Middle East
Blood Fiestas Involves whole towns coming out to inflict brutal, bloody pain on various animals - mostly cattle.
Spain has around 10- 20,000 blood fiestas per year, and theyíre not the only ones; Portugal, Mexico, and Brazil all carry on the tradition.
No isht?!

I don't care to go to ANY of those countries either. What is your point? It's gonna happen anyway so just go and enjoy? There is a very real chance of getting stuck there if you do the wrong thing culturally...oh yeah, not in the mood for N. Korea either....

As for "blood fiestas" at least I won't be a victim of that.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Men tightly control the women of their family. They’ve even developed apps to warn if one of their women is going outside a certain range or going to places he prohibited them from entering.
Wow I knew of oppression. I thought it had maybe gotten better since allowing them to drive.

Are Americans subject to the same laws if they were to visit?

Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No isht?!

I don't care to go to ANY of those countries either. What is your point? It's gonna happen anyway so just go and enjoy? There is a very real chance of getting stuck there if you do the wrong thing culturally...oh yeah, not in the mood for N. Korea either....

As for "blood fiestas" at least I won't be a victim of that.
The point is that while some people don't travel to particular countries for whatever reason, it has not affected the general tourism. And we are talking about tourism, not "some" people who rather would stay at home.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Wow I knew of oppression. I thought it had maybe gotten better since allowing them to drive.

Are Americans subject to the same laws if they were to visit?
Technically, as a US citizen, you are covered by the laws of the US regardless of where in the world you are. However with very few exceptions, when you are outside of the US you are outside of the jurisdiction of those laws. If you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country of your choice is limited in what it can do to assist you if you should get into legal trouble abroad. As a foreigner in a foreign land, you are obligated to act in accordance with foreign law.
The US government can - and has - passed laws which include a jurisdiction outside of the US. The most well known of these is the "PROTECT Act of 2003", which makes it illegal for a US citizen to partake in illicit sexual conduct abroad with someone under the age of 18.
So, yes - if you break local laws while in the country of your choice, the U.S. government can do very little to help you. You are granted no special privileges or rights and will be dealt with according to standard procedure of the legal system of the country of your choice.

The same pretty much applies to foreign citizens visiting the US.

BUT: Who is going to track your whereabouts in SA if you are not a family member? Or forbid you to go outside your hotel? But you might be prosecuted if you grab a woman and start to touch and kiss her. Or steal merchandise, or try to sell dope, or get drunk publicly, or go to the beach nude... etc.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...detention.html

Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Technically, as a US citizen, you are covered by the laws of the US regardless of where in the world you are. However with very few exceptions, when you are outside of the US you are outside of the jurisdiction of those laws. If you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country of your choice is limited in what it can do to assist you if you should get into legal trouble abroad. As a foreigner in a foreign land, you are obligated to act in accordance with foreign law.
The US government can - and has - passed laws which include a jurisdiction outside of the US. The most well known of these is the "PROTECT Act of 2003", which makes it illegal for a US citizen to partake in illicit sexual conduct abroad with someone under the age of 18.
So, yes - if you break local laws while in the country of your choice, the U.S. government can do very little to help you. You are granted no special privileges or rights and will be dealt with according to standard procedure of the legal system of the country of your choice.

BUT: Who is going to track your whereabouts in SA if you are not a family member? Or forbid you to go outside your hotel? But you might be prosecuted if you grab a woman and start to touch and kiss her. Or steal merchandise, or try to sell dope, or get drunk publicly, or go to the beach nude... etc.

StudentsAbroad.com - Study Abroad Handbook Worldwide: How Foreign Laws Apply to You
Iím a woman & my reason for wanting to go there is just talk to locals, learn about their lives, eat delicious food & do some good if I can. Curiosity about how ppl live is my main thing. I would not partake in anything u mentioned & would always be respectful.

I do hope things get better there.

If they can improve conditions, Iíd like to check it out. Iím sure the everyday ppl are probably pretty nice. I find most ppl just want the same things we all want ... love, safety, security, the best for their children etc etc ... ppl arent fundamentally that different

Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Iím a woman & my reason for wanting to go there is just talk to locals, learn about their lives, eat delicious food & do some good if I can. Curiosity about how ppl live is my main thing. I would not partake in anything u mentioned & would always be respectful.

I do hope things get better there.

If they can improve conditions, Iíd like to check it out. Iím sure the everyday ppl are probably pretty nice. I find most ppl just want the same things we all want ... love, safety, security, the best for their children etc etc ... ppl arent fundamentally that different
Last week they publicly beheaded a 16yo kid for being gay, the video is out there if people need proof that it's not the same as other countries. I know a few years ago a western woman couldn't "just visit" & eat their delicious food, not allowed, don't know if that has changed in recent years.

I'm usually accused of being too open-minded & liberal but there isn't much there that separates them from savages other than their petrodollars. Last year they murdered & chopped into pieces an American resident who was a journalist under the direct command of the prince of the Saud dynasty now effectively running the country. Jamal entered the consulate to get a license for his upcoming marriage. They chopped the man up into pieces in the Saudi consulate & carried the pieces out in various suitcases after threatening the consulate employees with death if they complained or talked.

They are currently carrying out a campaign of government sponsored terrorism in Yemen by continually bombing civilian sites killing an extraordinary amount of innocents.

Would I want to visit Hitler's Germany because it was different & had good food & beer & chat with the population who voted him in? I hope not.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Last week they publicly beheaded a 16yo kid for being gay, the video is out there if people need proof that it's not the same as other countries. I know a few years ago a western woman couldn't "just visit" & eat their delicious food, not allowed, don't know if that has changed in recent years.

I'm usually accused of being too open-minded & liberal but there isn't much there that separates them from savages other than their petrodollars. Last year they murdered & chopped into pieces an American resident who was a journalist under the direct command of the prince of the Saud dynasty now effectively running the country. Jamal entered the consulate to get a license for his upcoming marriage. They chopped the man up into pieces in the Saudi consulate & carried the pieces out in various suitcases after threatening the consulate employees with death if they complained or talked.

They are currently carrying out a campaign of government sponsored terrorism in Yemen by continually bombing civilian sites killing an extraordinary amount of innocents.

Would I want to visit Hitler's Germany because it was different & had good food & beer & chat with the population who voted him in? I hope not.
Hitler turned out to not be the person Germany thought they were getting ... What are your feelings about visiting North Korea?

Not everyone in Saudi agrees with whats going on iím sure. Yeah the govt is awful, but donít you think there are ppl like you and I just wanting to live normal lives that are good, loving people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel