U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 03:48 AM

384 posts, read 149,772 times

Advertisements

My friend says she brings several bags and security never says anything. But online all I read is only 1 bag is allowed.
Also can they be unmarked? Like buying 1oz bottles and pouring in some shampoo etc.
L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 04:11 AM

4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
I started getting lazy about the zip-loc rules, and nobody ever said anything.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 AM

37,989 posts, read 55,756,232 times
Last time I got my (small, travel size) bottles and few nail polish bottles put into a quart size ziplock by a custom worker. They barely fit into it and she wasn't able to zip it close. I got a warning, but I think she was just a bit too much by the books. This was the only incident ever. On an International flight.
No one ever checked on that on any of the national flights.
However SEVERAL zip locks with fluids probably would raise suspicions.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:00 AM

9,799 posts, read 5,008,332 times
You’re only supposed to have one. I know some people have gotten away with more, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

What you probably can get away with is one bag per carryon. I mean, the person who is manning the screen on the scanner probably isn’t keeping track of which bags belong to whom.

Unmarked bottles are fine.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,101,044 times
Timely question. We are traveling with friends who are only taking carryon and backpack. They are going for 3 weeks. I was trying to understand the toiletries part because 3 oz of shampoo or something may not be enough for 3 weeks. I wonder if they are assuming that most hotels will provide. We did find that generally in Europe they did provide some toiletries but not the way they do it in the US where I usually end up taking home their samples!
Well I am certain that for our 2 weeks we will be taking some checked luggage as well so no issue for moi.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 AM

384 posts, read 149,772 times
Do you need to take the bags out of your carry on and put them in the bins? I know I done it before it can’t remember if you have to. One time I had a large bottle of sunscreen lotion in my purse that I forgot about. Much larger than 3 oz and not in a zip lock bag. Nobody noticed or said anything to me.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:46 AM

902 posts, read 463,984 times
Doesnt really address the OPs question, but I always remind people to not get to hung up with the soap/shampoo/deodorant 3 oz. limitations and packing of them. Having traveled extensively unless you are going to a remote area of the world, the usual toiletries are readily available either at the airport, many train station shops, stores like Aldis, Lidls, Coles, Tessco and other local stores. Might not be your brand, but something is available.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 05-19-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,101,231 times
The rules say one bag (plus an exception for larger medically necessary items- my four ounce bottle of contact lens solution gets its own bag) but the TSA remains not very good at catching violations of many rules so it’s not surprising that additional bags get missed

We pay for PreCheck so as long as one of those lines are open, the little bags stay in the big bag for me

Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Timely question. We are traveling with friends who are only taking carryon and backpack. They are going for 3 weeks. I was trying to understand the toiletries part because 3 oz of shampoo or something may not be enough for 3 weeks. I wonder if they are assuming that most hotels will provide. We did find that generally in Europe they did provide some toiletries but not the way they do it in the US where I usually end up taking home their samples!
Well I am certain that for our 2 weeks we will be taking some checked luggage as well so no issue for moi.
Products like shampoo bars are perfect for situations like this. They're solid, so there's no need to put them in the liquids bag.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Do you need to take the bags out of your carry on and put them in the bins? I know I done it before it canít remember if you have to. One time I had a large bottle of sunscreen lotion in my purse that I forgot about. Much larger than 3 oz and not in a zip lock bag. Nobody noticed or said anything to me.
Only if they instruct you to. I would have the bag near the top of your carry on, just in case.

There's plenty that the TSA doesn't catch, but I would recommend to anyone thinking about trying to get anything past them to not gamble with your expensive products. If they do discover that you have more than the limit, they'll have you throw them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or