U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 AM

72,073 posts, read 83,735,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2007 View Post
We personally LOVE Jamaica! We love the people and the place! If you stay in a major city (like Montego Bay or Negril), you'll be fine! Just like anywhere you travel, you sould always be aware of your surroundings.
In my own opinion, Mexico had more crime when we were there than Jamaica! I hear FAR more horror stories about Mexico, too! In fact, we choose Jamaica over Mexico all the time due to the horror stories we hear about mexico!
OMG, the place we hated the most was Montego BAy. We haven't been to Negril, but have heard it is a little better. We have done both cruise stops in Jamaica and twice land alone trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 AM

8,657 posts, read 19,121,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, the place we hated the most was Montego BAy. We haven't been to Negril, but have heard it is a little better. We have done both cruise stops in Jamaica and twice land alone trips.

I'm curious, why did you hate Mo Bay? Most cruisers go from ship to bus to beach and no where in between..the ride of the port to the beach isn't exciting (its on one of the busiest roadways we have) and you don't get to see anything other than businesses and the shoreline on your left. (going to the beach)

Negril is pretty..but it's also very laid back...quiet...it's not a big city like Mo Bay.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM

72,073 posts, read 83,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm curious, why did you hate Mo Bay? Most cruisers go from ship to bus to beach and no where in between..the ride of the port to the beach isn't exciting (its on one of the busiest roadways we have) and you don't get to see anything other than businesses and the shoreline on your left. (going to the beach)

Negril is pretty..but it's also very laid back...quiet...it's not a big city like Mo Bay.
why? Because we wanted to simply go to town to do some shopping: we were bombarded by kids wanting to sell us everything plus they were rude. So were the vendors in town. We also did an AI, near MBay, the driver who provided the transportation was unfriendly. actually most cruisers we have been with took either side trips (tours) or simply shopped. They did not do a beach get away and most had the same feelings we did. I think you and I have had this discussion before. It might be home to you and i am sorry I have the opinion of it I do, but our experience with the city hasn't been positive.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:09 PM

8,657 posts, read 19,121,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why? Because we wanted to simply go to town to do some shopping: we were bombarded by kids wanting to sell us everything plus they were rude. So were the vendors in town. We also did an AI, near MBay, the driver who provided the transportation was unfriendly. actually most cruisers we have been with took either side trips (tours) or simply shopped. They did not do a beach get away and most had the same feelings we did. I think you and I have had this discussion before. It might be home to you and i am sorry I have the opinion of it I do, but our experience with the city hasn't been positive.

I don't recall having this conversation with you and you're entitled to your opinion; I was just asking a clarifying question...not attacking you.

Once you get out of the tourist area it's a lot quitter and you don't get hassled. The first few years I lived here it drove me batty, but now that I've been here so long they no longer bother me. If fact, when walking the strip the store owners will tell their employees, not that one, she's a local. lol

Yeah, some of those kids are down right rude and really have no idea how that effects the tourist trade...no one, including myself, wants to be bombarded when walking down the street. (vacation or not!)

Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I enjoyed Negril and, like others, found it to be mostly safe and friendly. Do expect to be swindled by cabbies and pestered on the beach over ganja, fruit juice, patties, braids, etc... Buy the patties...they're awesome and make a great and cheap lunch! The West End is beautiful but you're more isolated in your resort and it is dangerous to walk the road at night...not so much b/c of the people but b/c of of the crazy road, blind corners and fast vehicles.

My wife and I rented a scooter one day and rode up into the hills outside of town for some views. I am a seasoned traveller (and find Mexico to be quite safe generally) and I will say that I felt quite uncomfortable. At one point we rode past a small roadside store where a few Jamaican men started yelling, "Hey whitey, come here" and then started gesturing and running toward us. I hit the throttle and got outta there quickly and wasted no time getting back to town in Negril.

The drive from MoBay to Negril was less than savory. The town of Lucea was a dump with people loitering all over the place. Just outside of Lucea we saw a standoff between police and locals with machine guns trained on each other right on the side of the highway.

Given that I prefer to explore when I travel to get to know the place and the people, I found Jamaica to be less than ideal. Negril was beautiful and a great place to vacation, but I would advise not to venture outside of town on your own and expect to see some true third world stuff! Much more than you would be exposed to in any of the resort areas and surrounding areas in Mexico. As such, if I were looking for somewhere with a similar vibe to Negril but safer and with nicer people, I would opt for Tulum in Mexico.
The callaloo patties are to die for! If you want a fantastic cheap lunch, buy a "box lunch" they sell to workers by the side of the road.
I adore Jamaica, and have been many times, as I have friends there and stay with them. Just stay out of Kingston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel