Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

Thinking of taking a Caribbean vacation. I've heard some good and bad things about Jamaica. Is crime too high there? Anyone have bad stories about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM

45 posts, read 220,285 times
We personally LOVE Jamaica! We love the people and the place! If you stay in a major city (like Montego Bay or Negril), you'll be fine! Just like anywhere you travel, you sould always be aware of your surroundings.
In my own opinion, Mexico had more crime when we were there than Jamaica! I hear FAR more horror stories about Mexico, too! In fact, we choose Jamaica over Mexico all the time due to the horror stories we hear about mexico!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
My husband and I visited Negril, Jamaica, a few years back and LOVED IT!! We stayed at Charella Inn, a beachfront little hotel right on the 7-mile beach stretch. It has a restaurant on-site with French inspired cuisine that also makes killer homemade coconut ice-cream (and other flavors too). I would recommend this hotel very highly as it has great service and great location, complete with a beach boy who oversees your needs on the beach, and will even cut down a fresh coconut from the trees for you if you ask nicely

We took a cab and went to downtown Negril one evening just to see around. When we stopped on a roadside stand to get some fresh coconut juice (by now you can tell we're crazy about coconuts, especially its refreshing sweet juice), a vagabond approached us and asked for some money, but the coconut seller and our cab driver shooed him away.

Overall, I think as long as you are vigilant about your surrounding and don't flash your belongings around, you'll be fine. The beach area is quite safe, but you will occasionally find locals try to sell you marijuana (they call it ganja there) when you're sunning on the beach. But after a while they know whom to approach and whom to be left alone.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,321,892 times
Jamaica is a beautiful island, with so much to do. If you are staying in an all-inclusive resort, you'll be fine. If you venture into town to shop, just exercise some caution, and do not be shy about telling people NO! The vendors do have a tendency to hover very close to any customers who come into their shop, so don't be afraid to set boundaries. For the most part, the people are friendly, since tourism is the main money maker on the island.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 61,018 times
Most people I know love Jamaica as long as they do not mix with the people and stay in the safety of their all inclusive resort!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_greenery View Post
Most people I know love Jamaica as long as they do not mix with the people and stay in the safety of their all inclusive resort!
Geez what a lame vacation. If you do that you mine as well go to Daytona Beach.

Jamaica is a third world country, not a big deal, just be aware of your surroundings. Most that will happen is probably you will be approached by the ganja sellers. I don't recommend buying because a jamaican jail does not make a good tourist destination.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
I lived in Jamaica on and off for several years. Jamaicans are the most wonderful people. When they smile they mean it, and when you make a friend, they're a friend for life. If you meet country people and they take you into their home, you'll likely have the (good) experience of a lifetime.

It's best to totally avoid Kingston unless you are a very seasoned Jamaican visitor. Don't let anyone get you off alone somewhere unpopulated, especially at night, unless you have spent some time and built up trust with them. Don't flash a lot of money. Stick to the tourist areas until you've been a few times and know what's up.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:21 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We have both stayed there at 2 different Sandal's, and visited off of cruise ships. We found the people to be lovely. Of course, you would use good judgement away from the beaten path, as you would anywhere.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Just stay in the populated areas and you should be fine. I haven't heard anything bad about Jamaica but I hear Mexico is not a good place to visit right now. I planned a second cruise this year (hoping to visit Mexico) but I was discouraged (twice) on going. I haven't been watching the news lately so I'm not sure whats happening down there...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
If you're in town by yourself you might find a friendly acting person offering to introduce you to their "sister" or show you where the best ganja is. You don't want to let anyone get you off alone, away from a tourist area, especially at night. You can just say no and make a friendly acting excuse.

Clarendon is generally safe, Negril, Ocho, and the resorts. Not Kingston; it has the world's highest murder rate due to gangs, politics, and extreme poverty. Use a little normal caution, like you would in a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel