U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If in an apartment, I see no need for someone to 'check-in', tho I would have no problem assigning that task to apartment
or rental company manager. (They are bonded and insured, and have a responsibility to respect your personal stuff)
I agree there is no need for anyone to check in an apt. although where I live the building super (manager) won't check into one's apt when one isn't there. Also in an older building like where I live there is no individual thermostat in each apt. as there is only central heating in the winter months controlled building wide under the supervision of the building super (meaning individual tenants have no control over the heat in their apt.). Obviously one won't leave a window air-conditioner on for days or weeks when one is away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 AM

900 posts, read 462,394 times
We frequently take extended trips and our routine is to set the tstat to heat @ 65 and a/c @ 80, turn down the water heater temp to vac or lowest possible temp, unplug all unnecessary electrical items like tv, stereo, computers leaving just the refrigerator (clear it out beforehand) and freezer on and most important, TURN OFF THE WATER! Based on experience, theres nothing worse than coming home to a flooded kitchen or bathroom. We've never had any issues since.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,572,105 times
We have a next door neighbor of thirty years and share vacation caretaking of property with her. Also our son is only a few blocks away and daughter works in town so there are plenty of people to handle emergencies. We bring them back token gifts.

Kitty stays at home and does okay with our absence and people dropping in to give her some food and a few cuddles. I always leave an unwashed t-shirt of mine in a couple of her favorite sleeping spots.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times
We go away for four months every summer. Water turned off for entire house, air set to 82, timers on a couple of lamps, valuables in the safety deposit box at the bank. Luckily, we have a relative who checks on the house.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
The longest we’re away at one time is 2-3 weeks. The cats are far happier and less stressed at home than if we tried to board them so the cat sitter comes by every other day to take care of them and she also gets the mail, checks for water leaks,etc.

We set the AC in the summer around 78F to control for Florida humidity, turn the water heater off and run some smart lights to make it look like someone it here and a few security cameras to get a look at the cats sleeping on the couch

Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,614 times
Default This seems best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm with you. I think I'd just take a chance and go with the easier to ask forgiveness than get permission tack. My privacy is really important to me, and I know first-hand by watching an owner I worked for as an apartment manager, that some owners are really nosy and use any excuse to snoop.

I'd personally rather take the chance of nothing going wrong or not - than let people know I will be gone and they wouldn't get interrupted if they decided to snoop or break in, etc.

And I'd set the thermostat at 80 - 85.
NoMoreSnowForMe,

Very helpful, I think I'm going to take your advice. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Default 80 degrees sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Are you able to turn off your water? Until recently my husband and I had a vacation home and we were away for several months at a time during seasons where it might be 70 degrees or 25 degrees. Pipes freezing were a real possibility and a fear. When we weren't there we turned off the water. As for the thermostat, if you aren't home I think 75 degrees is too low. Would push it up to 80 or so.
I'm unable to turn off the water from the outside...but I could turn off the knobs under the sink in the bathroom and kitchen. I live in a very hot state so I don't think I'll have any problems with cold temps affecting the pipes.

I remember before my stepdad passed away 7 years ago, my parents lived in a huge city but had a small 2nd home out in the country on his family's property. They went about 3 months before coming back to their second home. When they walked into the house, the living room floor had sunken in from a water leak. Carpet ruined, bookshelf ruined, the mildew, and it stank.

The water had been leaking day and night for who knows how long - maybe the full three months. Their water bill ballooned to several thousand dollars. They explained to the local water company what happened in an appeal. The water company worked with them and agreed to lower the bill to $1,800.
It seems the weirdest things can happen to your place when you're away.

80 degrees sound like a happy medium for me to set the thermostat.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Default Gotta have USPS hold my mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Remotely controlled thermostat and few surveillance cameras. It's also good to tell the cops in your area to keep an eye on your house. Other than that - yeah, be friendly with your neighbor or two. Landscape guy will take care of lawn. Potted flowers go to neighbor. They will also park their car sometimes on my carport. I dont have mailbox, just POBox.
Everything else will be turned off.

I am leaving at the end of the month for 6 month overseas, and that's what I do everytime I leave my house for long.
Thanks for mentioning mail. Gotta have a hold placed.

If I had neighbors that I felt comfortable with I would definitely do what you do. However, my neighbors are even newer than I am, much younger (early to late 20s), and don't appear grounded enough for me to trust telling my travel plans. I'm away quite often with work travel for up to a week at a time here or there so they're used to not seeing my car - me being away. In the beginning of my trip, my neighbors will probably just assume that my being away is nothing out of the norm. This will be the first time I'll be away for such an extended amount of time.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Yes, unplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
We frequently take extended trips and our routine is to set the tstat to heat @ 65 and a/c @ 80, turn down the water heater temp to vac or lowest possible temp, unplug all unnecessary electrical items like tv, stereo, computers leaving just the refrigerator (clear it out beforehand) and freezer on and most important, TURN OFF THE WATER! Based on experience, theres nothing worse than coming home to a flooded kitchen or bathroom. We've never had any issues since.
Thanks for the reminder to unplug everything.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for mentioning mail. Gotta have a hold placed.
I too usually put a hold on my mail if I am away for more than just a few days. Also if I am traveling internationally I notify my banks/credit card companies so as not to encounter any issues using a debit or credit card overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or